Anything think this thing has potential?

winnipegtibook

Found something locally. Not sure if / what could be done with it (on the cheap of course), to be able to haul bicycles (inside) a main compartment, and gear. No RTT or super fancyness yet. Maybe a marine battery / inverter set up for a fridge. It will be pulled by a '04 Volvo XC90. Not exactly "overland" awesome as the other rigs here, but it's for highway road trips. trailer1.JPG

winnipegtibook

I am hoping to get it for $250. I don't weld (darn it) and would have to 'farm-out' all the work. Option #2 is to have someone build something from scratch (Forum members have contacted me from Canada), but I was trying to do something on the ultra-cheap as my trailer.

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
For what that trailer can carry, it looks like typical military overkill. Damn near bulletproof, but probably a boat anchor at the same time. Any idea on the weight of that thing?

Herb

winnipegtibook

No idea. Waiting to hear back (Craigslist-type sale). It was formerly used by a Hydro-electric company. It does look a bit stout. Hmmm. I would LOVE to get a Sierra (too small interior) or a custom trailer, but the budget doesn't allow for it. Funny enough, I received an email from a company in China. Awesome looking trailer for $2 grand, shipped to my door. Looks suspiciously familiar to the Australian trailers. But I digress.

winnipegtibook

Hmmm, well, then the price I received for the "Australian" designed trailer is very very appealing (even with shipping it across the world)! However, I am hoping the ugly box trailer has potential, it would be great to give it a second life (and save a bunch of $$$, if possible). It has to be a budget project, or I could have something built / or buy.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I am big on the money saving department, but at the same time when trying to save it is possible to spend more that getting what you want the first time. $250 sounds good but how much do you have to do to it to get it where you want espcially if you dont weld? Will you be changing the size of the frame for a box at all? Do you want to sandblast it and repaint or powder coat? Try to add up the possibilities and look at how much you could save and possibly pick up some overtime to make up the difference. Could be a great project but could also be expensive in the long run.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Send it my way $250.00 is a good deal. You have to look at the finished product not at what is in front of you.
It has a huge box on it already, Steel? and those sell for $200.00 + used around here. It has potential, remove some of the junk sell it as scrap or craigslist parts.

I started with this and now it looks like this, Lots more work but it is on it's way and it was cheap.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!i0E9f!P,kpfBPmqobeHEQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!i0E9f!P,kpfBPmqobeHEQ~~60_57.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg
    197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 4

winnipegtibook

Thanks for the reassurance and advice! I'm waiting to hear back from the seller. I have NO idea what kind of shape it's in, or if the wheels roll or are seized. I would be working with a local company to make it "work." Not sure exactly who yet, but the ones that DON'T laugh at me when I bring it in the door and are reasonable (re-costs). If only I had my pops (old school eastern european tank / semi engine guy) o teach me to weld.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Trade schools are a great place to learn to weld or to get things welded.
Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks a little like this.

Attachments

• image-17503445.jpg
    image-17503445.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2897430338.jpg
    image-2897430338.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 108

winnipegtibook

Not that is GREAT inspiration. Very close to what I need / want (albeit a bit more height for bikes in it). Still waiting to hear back from seller.

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
Given you won't be doing the work yourself, I wouldn't buy it without a plan. I'd get an idea in my head of what I want to do then talk to a fabricator and get a firm price from him. Fabrication can soak up a bunch of funds quickly. Unless you're doing very little too it, I'd guess you'll be spending a bunch of money to get something that weighs way too much. Think about it this way. There's probably less than $1,000 worth of material there. An entry level trailer, that may take up to 9 months to get will cost you $4,000. That's $3,000 worth of labor being built on a production basis. You're talking about custom work on this one. WAY more money.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Take a look st Sierra 4x4's price lists and see what it would cost to build a basic trailer that is new. Then figure out what this trailer might cost after you mod it and see which option looks better.

On the trailer in the picture, remove all of the junk on top of the frame and maybe install a brand new tub that you'd order from Sierra 4x4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier