PC Tablet & GPS puck.

adio3x

Observer
Anyone running a PC tablet and a GPS puck?

I know you need a USB port to run the puck, so I was looking at the ASUS a500, but I haven't found anyone that has confirmed that it would work. I rather not bring my laptop on the trails, looking for something a bit smaller in size.

Finlay

Triarius
I used my wife's XOOM (android) I on my last trip.

View attachment 102215

The 10" was a little bit larger than I liked. I think a 7" would have been ideal. The RAM mount held up very well though.

This model tablet has the GPS built in - many of them do. I used Co-Pilot, and it worked reasonably well but there were some things that were annoying. I'll be looking for a better GPS app when I get my new smartphone in a couple weeks.

That above being said, using a tablet as GPS works great aside from some annoyances.

adio3x

Observer
After some research, I guess it doesn't even work. I may just have to wait for the acer a110, I heard thats going to be pretty cool.

psykokid

Explorer
I used a rooted nook with a bluetooth GPS adapter and it worked flawlessly using back country navigator on a recent trip in northern california. GPS tracks were a lot cleaner than the ones from my older garmin rino that i always bring along.

Sirocco

Explorer
I run an old tablet (HP TC1100) with a Garming GPS10 BT unit. works really well with Memory Map here in the UK and Garmin MapSource.

A friend of mine is runnig his ipad with Memory Map also. Looked like he had a USB GPS plugged in. Took a little fiddling but he got there. worked really well on last weekends outing.

G

RobRed

Explorer
Sounds convoluted connecting a puck to a BT adapter... I realize the OP has the puck already.

If you have a wifi only iPad you can buy approved GPS receivers that work just fine. The 3G and 4G enabled iPad already have a GPS array in them some dont need an external receiver.

Be advised that GPS usage on these devices will sap their internal batteries in no time.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I used an Acer w/ the Microsoft USB GPS puck (that comes with their streets and trips software) with Nat Geo's Topo software for California. Works fine.

The netbook mount we made for the rig. It was simply a piece of 1/16" aluminum cut, drilled & folded to fit underneath the stock gauge pod.
MonteroLaptopMount01.jpg
w/ the netbook mounted (mounted using 2" wide pieces of adhesive Velcro).
MonteroLaptopMount02.jpg

Attachments

• 2309803150104986527qpnsEk_th.jpg
    2309803150104986527qpnsEk_th.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 195

adio3x

Observer
I may just get a netbook or even an acer inspire one that goes for like $300. Still waiting for the A110 to come out though.

bdutch

Acer tablet

Just to add my 2 cents. After having used a PC in the car for years, I switched to the Acer Iconia tablet in my new car. Most of the time running OziExplorer.
Use the build in GPS of the tablet, but can switch to GPS mouse via Bluetooth.
So far it has performed well. Very sturdy without any drilling. Can be removed in seconds.
Have detected a few automatic shutdowns because of temperature issues when the car was stationary in the desert. Never during driving though.

Some pics
_mg_5052.jpg_mg_5048.jpg

adio3x

Observer
I just picked up an acer timelinex i7 11.6 netbook for $400 at walmart. Looks like a pretty good netbook. Going to order the gps puck and see how it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94