Jeep rubicon unlimited or Toyota 4runner Trail

GHR

Observer
Ok, like many others looking to decide between two vehicles, both 2012 models and automatics. Driven both and in the end doubt there is a 'bad' choice. I am not a rock crawler, but a hiker in the NW who goes mostly on logging roads and the occasional deactivated road to get to trailheads. Also my DD, but most weekends out to mountains.

Pros for the jeep: will more than meet my needs, simple but very functional. best off road given locking diffs, electirc sway bar disconnect and great ground clearance/departure and approach angles (tend to be a lot of water-bars/ditches here). lots of solid armour underneath. Cons: a bit rough to drive, but hey it is a jeep and the roof comes off if you want it too. reliability is mixed, though of late it looks much better. Exped Portal rates highly however. Note that breakover angle is only 20.8 on the Unlimited Rubicon.

Pros for,Toyota: locking rear diff and ATRAC as well as KDSS are a close match for jeep off road. With a good driver they have taken almost stock model (except tires) on the Rubicon trail to test. it is a Toyota - reliability in spades. This is in fact a Land Cruiser in a Prada form. good road manners (much more car like though dull) but also,good off road. ExPed Portal gives as a runner up,to Rubicon. Cons: poor tires, will need to replace right away.Approach angles Ok at 33, but departure low at 26. much less than a rubi unlimited though the breakover angle is better at 24.

Bottom line: Rubi probably can be had to about $2k or $3k less. my biggest concern is relability as used to good vehicles and also no worries off road. My wife likes the Toyota largely for reliability. Maybe Scott Brady will chime in, but pleased to hear others views/thoughts.

Last edited:

pilosopo

Adventurer
Granted this is coming from a Rubicon Unlimited owner, a 2011 with a 6-speed, but for me the price difference would seal the deal.

I like the fact that I can go door less, etc. but I don't know know how valuable that is to you.

And in terms of off road ability, I'd say unless truly doing something to take advantage of the sway bar disconnect and the articulation advantage it provides, it'd be a wash.

With the new motors and transmissions in the Jeeps, that's also a wash to me.

Comparable space; though the 4runner is probably quieter and of higher quality materials, the Jeep has the advantage of removable carpets, etc. after getting dirty.

So like you said, there's no wrong answer, but one's cheaper. If you really have no leanings, then the savings are a plus. And with those savings you can accessorize your Jeep, which if compared to what my friends have to pay with their FJs, is much cheaper.

Last edited:

98roamer

Explorer
Realistically, where will the majority of its time be? On road or off road- 80/20 90/10 or 95/5? We know that the Rubi rules in the out of box rock crawler world/off road, and the Toy wins in the reliability and on road with off road being secondary. It's nice being able to drive hours on the road to get to the forest without being worn out before you get there. But I'm bias being a 4runner owner.

Clutch

<---Pass
Rubi makes you feel like a kid (again)

4Runner will ease the pain into old manhood...

I am Toyota guy, I would go for the Rubi....manual transmission, a removable top, better off road performance....just a more fun vehicle.

Think I am like most Toyota "guys" wishing Toyota would have their own version of a modern classic, a 4 door updated FJ40...the Jeep fills that void, where Toyota is getting downright boring.

Ah c'mon Toyota we would love to have something like this, that doesn't cost $200,000! :rolleyes:

FJ44_f1.jpg

GHR

Observer
I would like to say more time on the back roads, but reality is probably more like 90% highway, 10% back roads or 85/15 in a good week. However the the new Rubi drives reasonably well on hwy, but not as nice as Toyota.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If I had to buy a new one and NOT MODIFY, I'd get the Toyota-I've got two toyotas-, but

For ANY off-road and chances of some troubles/towing--I'll stay with the Rubi-and mines a pleasure to drive and tow trailer anywhere-

Good luck, whatever your choice-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

joneseyyy

Explorer
Plenty of good opinions in here. I say go for whatever one excites you the most, both are great platforms! Both have good out of the box capability and great aftermarket support.

For me, that was the 4runner Trail Edition was the one that caught my eye. Had it for 18 months now, put a ~35K miles on it in that time doing cool trips and still look forward to driving it everyday. In fact, getting ready to drive from DC to Colorado and Moab for the next 2 weeks starting Saturday.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I am a Jeep guy even though I don't currently have one. My brother just bought a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon, and I don't like it. If I had to pay that much for that rig, I would have serious buyer's remorse. My brother really does not like it either, but his wife wanted something fun to drive. It rides like a conastoga wagon on the Oregon Trail. Also the back seat is atrocious. First the seat back is too straight up. His kids complain on short trips. Also the center of the seat has no support under the foam, so even his nine yr. old sinks down until his rear hits the floor. If I was the one putting out the money I'd go with the 4 Runner. Just my $.02.

Edit: I miss spoke about the Rubicon. My nephew does not touch the floor with his butt, the seat is almost a foot from the floor in the middle. He actually sinks in until the bars that suppor the side springs, hurt his hips. Yesterday we attached a 1"x4" under the middle of the seat, so that my brothers family can all ride in it to Colorado next week. Thanks Jeep, great engineering.

Last edited:

haddix

Adventurer
If you want a great all around 4wd go with the 4runner.
If you want a street legal buggy go with the rubicon.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I really like the JKUR, but if I were given the option of your two choices with the condition that it would be an only vehicle and a daily driver, I would pick the 4R in a heartbeat. It will be plenty capable for your needs as you described them, and it is just more comfortable. (Especially when trips start to get long.)

Containerized

Adventurer
I've never liked the ride of the JK on the street, if you're looking for a daily driver. I do think it's a GREAT trail vehicle and they'd be great here in East Africa if you could get parts (you can't) where 95% of our roads are dirt or mud (you can count the number of major paved roads in the country of Uganda on one hand and have your thumb left over). In the U.S., though, I guess I don't get it... but I guess to some extent this is the trade-off.

I realize the (financial) appeal of daily driving a vehicle you take on holidays, but you often end up with a Swiss Army knife of a vehicle - something that does a little of everything, but does nothing really well. That's how the Jeep feels to me, at least in stock form. It is optimized around off-roading to the extent that a street vehicle can be, but it also feels like the design team was constantly reminded that this vehicle also had to be able to put up with being on pavement 99% of the time and being a graduation gift for 18-year-olds who will never take it farther than the campus liquor store. The JK is an admirable attempt to please everyone.

The 4Runner, to me, is more focused on maximizing interior (weatherproof) space, and is FAR more comfortable for long drives. It has better road manners on pavement than the Jeep and is only marginally less capable off-road in stock form with equivalent tires. I'd continue and say that if you actually use the rear seats (I use my rear seats less than five times a year?), the 4Runner has a far more comfortable rear seat environment (not just the seating surfaces themselves) and a FAR more useable back seat than the FJC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles