Monteros on craigslist

CSU126

Observer
Need a little advice purchasing a used montero.

Good evening. Sorry I have not filled out my full profile but I sure will. I am looking at a 1998 Montero here in the Atlanta area. Based on Kbb the price is really high. I have spoke with the owner and he advised that every bit of maintenance to include 120000 mile service, every fluid changed at dealer, timing belt, water pump ect is done and has receipts for it all. Does a confirmed one owner history and records to prove it matter to the point to increase the price so drastically? I am adding the link to Craigslist. Thanks for your time.

Scott

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4601073869.html

P.S. IF I some how posted this in the wrong spot I apologize in advance.

nckwltn

Explorer
Good evening. Sorry I have not filled out my full profile but I sure will. I am looking at a 1998 Montero here in the Atlanta area. Based on Kbb the price is really high. I have spoke with the owner and he advised that every bit of maintenance to include 120000 mile service, every fluid changed at dealer, timing belt, water pump ect is done and has receipts for it all. Does a confirmed one owner history and records to prove it matter to the point to increase the price so drastically? I am adding the link to Craigslist. Thanks for your time.

Scott

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4601073869.html

P.S. IF I some how posted this in the wrong spot I apologize in advance.

If those types of things are important to you (location of service, etc), then the price might not be too high. But if you would rather have a few grand in your pocket and not know about every piece of service, then I would say move on down the line. You can find Monteros with the same miles, and likely similar condition for much less.

CSU126

Observer
Thank you for your input. I would be using the vehicle for around town and weekend trips. Everything I find even close to me is extreme high mileage or just plain beat. SO 126000 miles with exceptional service would not be an issue?

nckwltn

Explorer
Thank you for your input. I would be using the vehicle for around town and weekend trips. Everything I find even close to me is extreme high mileage or just plain beat. SO 126000 miles with exceptional service would not be an issue?

I would say miles, with some records or indication as to when services were last done is no problem. Unless you're in a big hurry, a better deal will come along.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That looks like an exceptionally well cared for and rare one Owner Montero..... that should fetch about $4,500 tops.

As for mileage, I bought mine at 180,000 miles and it seems like many others joined the Montero club around the same vintage. These are remarkably well built and durable rigs.

jhill15

Explorer
Man what a great price for that many miles! I wish I couldve found that where I live.
As far as the oil leak look around the valve cover gaskets to see if its leaking from there. If so then its pretty easy to fix and not gonna break your wallet. If its coming from underneath and behind the engine the probably the rear man seal and a pain...personally I wouldnt tackle it but it can definitely be done, it will be more timely and costly.
Make sure to see when the timing belt/water pump/ idler pulley were changed last.

Good find!!!

jfeust

He said this in response to email: 'Had the timing worked on about 1 1/2 years ago. The oil is the biggest problem, not sure where its coming from I think its back in the timing area but not sure. Mechanic wanted to pull stuff apart but couldn't afford it at that time."

Sounds like it might be a bigger issue than a normal montero leak?

jlocster

Explorer
That's a hell of a price for a Montero in that condition with such low miles. Personally, I would jump on it, fix the leaks and still be money ahead.

Usually, leaks as you describe are from failed valve cover gaskets (Monteros are notorious for this issue), which often present as a leak coming from the timing belt area/front of the engine, due the the path of the oil drainage. That said, it could also be the front cam seals, or possibly the front main seal...All of these are cheap parts themselves, but necessitate a bit of labor to replace.

It should also be said that all of the parts mentioned above are ones commonly replaced when baselining a Montero of unknown history as part of the 1) water pump/timing belt/crank bolt update service and 2) valve cover/spark plug service. There are many posts on ExPo about both services, with all the parts you'd need for a '97 documented in the Gen 2.5 parts list sticky (same SOHC 3.5L engine). Good luck!

mapper

Explorer
If everything else checks on that truck I'd definitely try to grab it.

With that kind of mileage the most likely source of a leak is the front or rear cam seals. Who knows what the guy means by "timing was worked on". I'd budget for a timing belt job, PCV, new plugs, plug tubes, valve cover gasket and cam seals. Be sure you get familiar with the butterfly valve issue too. You'll have the upper manifold off for the plugs/gaskets etc., that makes for a good time to inspect/retrofit the necessary butterfly valve pieces. Keep in mind nearly EVERY Montero you see for sale will need the same stuff done, and it most cases those will need valve guides too. That happens in the neighborhood of 160-190k. Most people sell these trucks when some aspect of the top end needs work because nearly every job requires pulling the upper manifold. When you are that far along the smart thing is to get it all done...which is frequently more than many people are willing to pay for their "old" Montero. Beauty is, if you do a thorough job, you'll be set for a LOT of miles. If the front seals are leaking be sure to clean the alternator of all leaked oil. Oil kills those alternators all the time.

After that stuff is done you'd have a pretty nice truck for about $3k total (including purchase) using a reasonable mechanic or you could get it up to snuff for a total of $2k (including purchase) if you have the time/inclination to tackle the above jobs yourself.

EDIT: Ignore my comments about butterfly valve if this is indeed the SOHC 3.5 as Jlocster points out. I originally thought only gen 2.5 had the SOHC but I'm pretty sure he's correct in mentioning that the 97 is also SOHC. Butterfly valve is only an issue on the DOHC 3.5

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
One more thing. IF it is just the cam seals I think those can be replaced fairly easily without pulling the upper intake manifold. Search around for procedures and use "Pajero" in your searches. I think the book requires manifold removal which means most mechanics can charge far more time for that job than is really necessary.

jfeust

About to pull the trigger on this. Thoughts?

I decided to go Gen3 and make it my families only car. We do a lot of 4-5 hours road trips which puts us in the colorado mountains to get around on fire roads and some off road trails.

I drove it today. It ran and shifted good. Transfer case seems ok. It did beep in the lowest 4wd setting but I later realized I didn't have it in neutral when I switched. I'm gonna go back and drive again before I buy.

135k miles.

Lots of work done at 88k:
Maintenance inspection completed
Timing belt replaced
Oil and filter changed
Four wheel alignment performed
Transmission fluid flushed
Air filter replaced
Trim checked
Transfer case serviced
Tires rotated
Transmission checked
Differential fluid flushed/changed
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed

The only thing I really noticed is a dirty part of the engine (left/center) where it appears something leaked or overflowed a bit and now it's kind of grimy. It could just be dirty though, I don't know. Also it was a bit squeeky in the rear seat/door on the highway. It was also a little tricky to depress the shift lever to get out of park.

My biggest concern is reliability and maintenance costs after purchase. We really love the vehicle and options/accessories. My wife even fell in love with it, so that's big.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4588294050.html

Autotrader has a link to the carfax: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mmt=[MIT[MONT[]][]]&listingId=378122093&Log=0

Last edited:
It looks like the car was well maintained. That dealership service done at 82,972 is a lot. So this car should be good to go.

Goodluck with your purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94