Kayak storage at the home pics - both indoor and outdoor

FettsWay

Adventurer
Can we see some pics of how everyone stores their kayaks/canoes where they live?

I just moved into a new house and currently have to store them outside in the backyard, I know that prolonged direct sunlight and extreme cold is not good for them. Pluse it wears the seat and dry storage material and lids. But right now that is my only option. I thought about a tarp, but would much prefer a cheap build that can be closed off for extra protection from the harsh elements.

I have a 2 car garage but I don't have the space after my other junk got in there and the garage ceiling is not high enough to hang them, wish it was.

Just curious to see others at home kayak/canoe storage solutions.

thanks.

Silver dude

Xplorer
9ft ceilings, was able to barely squeeze them above the garage door. 14ft yak and a 12ft yak.
2012-05-07_23-32-30_327.jpg

Opperates on a smooth safe pair of bicycle hoists I picked up from harborfrieght for under $10. Upgraded the rope to some 300 pound breakstrength rope they had at the store. Made a wooden frame work to hang the pulley system above the rafters. Hanging the pulleys over the rafters allowed me to pucker the kayaks up tight to the ceiling. I plan to eventually dry wall the garage and finish off four ceiling ports for the ropes.

2012-05-07_23-33-22_874.jpg

Same setup at my dads house with 14ft ceilings.

facebook951658814742jpg.jpg

Last edited:

hikingff77

Adventurer
Right now I just hang it under a huge shed overhand with a loop of rope at each end. My wife bought me a hoist for my birthday, I'll get that up and going and post a pic.

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Here is a rack I recently completed. It holds six kayaks outside. Heavy duty and built to last a long time.

P5200002.jpg

P7130004.jpg

Both standups have 360 pounds of cement around the pole and is 20 inches deep.

Covered with 90% shade clothe (they don't make 100% shade clothe in that material), to keep MOST of the Texas sun off of them. Regular tarps just don't last...this shade clothe has a 10 year warranty and is UV protected and will not tear if a limb puts a hole thru it.

P7130001.jpg

P7130002.jpg

There are two Hobie Adventures on there (68 and 72 pounds), one Wilderness System Pungo 140 and one Pungo 100 and a Hobie Outback on the rack. Will hold alot more weight, but not much room to add more kayaks on their sides so they go hull up.

JJ

FettsWay

Adventurer
Yellow kayak,

That is a nice rack you built. We get alot of wind where I am, does the tarp get noisy when it's windy?

Also, where did you get your shade clothe?

Last edited:

dblosch

Adventurer
Here is ours. I know you said you didn't have room in the garage, but someone might. I used these brackets from home depot that cost about $6 each. The paddling store down the street sells a stronger version of the same thing for $150 a pair! I used decent sized hardware, and they are holding up just fine.

photo.jpg

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I fabbed up some holders from 1" round tube,covered the tube where the yak sits with grey PVC and hung them under our patio cover. They never get the sun on them so I don't need to cover and living in so cal the temp stay's ok. We live in a condo so space is limited, I had no choice but to go over the window.
IMG_0525Medium.jpg

IMG_0526Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier