Homebrew fridge/stove slide combo

judas

I wanted the fridge/stove slide combo from AT but didn't want to pay $700 for it...

jkrear2__84621_zoom.jpg

so I spent $60 and built my own.

d2f52e12.jpg

I used 100lb slides and 3/4 sanded ply. i set it up so the fridge slide at full extension rests on the tail gate to allow me to exceed the 100lb slide limit.

5c3e8ef6.jpg

I cant lie, the fact that every thing fit absolutely perfect was a complete coincidence. there is about 1/8" between the 3rd seats and the angle of the tailgate worked perfect.

ecbc3361.jpg

the base is 18 x 28 so i when i can afford a legit fridge (probably a cheap edgestar) it should fit perfectly.

b22c9d19.jpg

97c2b6ca.jpg

I threw a quick coat of rubberized undercoat on it, and will finish it later.

26a1034b.jpg

it installs and comes out in about 20 seconds if need be, mounted to the 3rd row seat mounts.

514f0c46.jpg

heading to the beach this weekend with burgers, dogs, and beer for a shake down run.

ab022618.jpg

sure its not as refined as AT's product, but since i can afford to build 11 more for the price, i think this will do for now.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Dude, that thing is sweet! You did a great job on that slide out. Is that a fancy coleman cooler on there? or is it a fridge?

spikemd

Explorer
Nice work. One recommendation I have is that you put something between the slide and the tailgate or you will start bashing your tailgate.

When I built mine, I covered it in dark gray outdoor carpeting from lowe's. When I was done, I was trying to figure out how to make a latch to secure the shelf and keep from banging around. For me, an extra piece of plywood from the shelf roughly 1/2 inch thick double wrapped with carpet fit perfectly between the edge of the shelf and the tailgate. So with the tailgate up and the shelf in, I just slip it between the two and nothing is rattling around.

I may look at doing the double slide as well...

judas

It mounts to the 3rd row brackets with super industrial strength zip ties. I wanted something very strong but quick to install and remove if I need to haul an 8th person.

The ties are rated for like 250lbs, we use them as handcuffs actually so I've got plenty of them and I know they're strong.

I thought about using u-bolts but getting them installed and removed seemed like a chore and the clearance for the stove slide would be an issue. The cable ties are long for install purposes and lie flat for clearance.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Good job making your combination slide. We all appreciate the fact that we have to purchase or build product that are within our own budgets.

It's difficult to run a comparison between the product you have built and compare it to what AT produces.

We know our combo slide is expensive, and most of that expense is tied up with the two sets of full extension locking slides that are used in the product. There are two US manufactures of slides and only one of them makes a locking slide that we feel confident using. The 500 lb full extension locking slides run $199.99 a pair. and it takes two pair to make a combo slide.

This single component dictates the retail cost of the product. Believe me we have searched for an alternative slide of comparable quality but so far we haven't been able to find anything.

chet

island Explorer
Martyn, I agree the price of slides is rediulous. no one is doubting your product is worth the money by the way. Just some people can't afford it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles