Back Country Skiing

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
jackfrost017.jpg

mattiep11

Adventurer
Telluride and Crested butte bc traveler

alta lakes_010.jpgre size _013.jpgSo i learned in Crested Butte the hows and whats associated with splitboarding and avy safety, from a long time friend and avid bc splitter PJ matson..( my dude) and Mr pete sauers who has summited and skied many 14ers in the region. I was a gear tester providing review of split boards from all the companies with backcountry magazine.. photos and tests and great skiing with the huskies..Now im skiing lizard head wilderness, silverton(red mountain...w/ my local guide/ friend Cody who grew up in ouray),ophir, and the infamous BEAR CREEK off the telluride ski area.. I work and play with several other bc adventurers and pioneers around the region.. love to get out and get some freshies

just eric

Adventurer
I've never CC skied before but I will this year. I am a recovering athlete (read lazy) who is currently 6' 240 lbs. I have been researching the inter web looking for the "right" set up for my intended purpose- day trips and overnights, some Weekend BC trips, and most importantly towing my toddler in her chariot carrier. My CC skiing will take place in the PNW.

Can you recommend a "buy once" type of kit?

witt

Adventurer
eric,

Are you interested in climbing with the intention of making turns on the way down, or are you just planning to tour? The equipment you need varies considerably depending on what your goals are.

just eric

Adventurer
I have a three year goal of circumnavigating crater lake in the winter. That being said, my answer beyond that is I don't know. It's clear to me I need to do additional research.

witt

Adventurer
I'd recommend trying it out first. Go to an outdoor shop and rent a cross-country setup. The people at the shop can tell you about all the different types of cross country skis and their applications.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have a three year goal of circumnavigating crater lake in the winter. That being said, my answer beyond that is I don't know. It's clear to me I need to do additional research.
It's important mainly to decide if there will be /any/ downhill and if so the aggressive level you intend to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles