Back Country Skiing

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
That's about the time the new wee one comes into our lives so I'd have to do it in 2008...not that you exactly need my company to do it :)
Name a time, Loveland opens Chair 1 and the White Ribbon of Death (Cat Walk/Mambo/Home Run) most years on or around the second or third week of October. Usually by Thanksgiving it's decent enough to have 2 or 3 lifts running and a few options. Anytime after the new year Loveland will be running 7 lifts and be mostly open.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'll be out in CO for the entire month of November and early December. I might be persuaded to bring my tele gear along but honestly, I'm in need of some new stuff. I'm still rocking my old Merril Super Comps with pink buckles and 200cm Black Diamond Eclipses. ha ha

I'd be down for a g2g though if one comes to be.

I botched it though this year, I didn't get to ski this June so I wrecked my impressive string of skiing every month of year. I'm heading to Chile on September 10th and they've been having a sick winter down there this year. Definately bringing my fatties down there!:snorkel:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Name a time, Loveland opens Chair 1 and the White Ribbon of Death (Cat Walk/Mambo/Home Run) most years on or around the second or third week of October. Usually by Thanksgiving it's decent enough to have 2 or 3 lifts running and a few options. Anytime after the new year Loveland will be running 7 lifts and be mostly open.

Wouldn't it be better to wait until things get a little better, like February? The ribbon of death is not my idea of a good time.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
bigreen505 said:
Wouldn't it be better to wait until things get a little better, like February? The ribbon of death is not my idea of a good time.
I quite agree, just throwing out options because I'd really like Scott to be able to make it.

refried

Adventurer
I know it's an old thread but it was at the top of the page.
I've been riding a Splitboard in the Mt. Baker backcountry for the last 10 years (snowshoes and snowboard before that). I have 2 splitboards (and about 25 regular boards), one homebuilt Voile' 182 and the second a factory built Voile' 178 Swallowtail split. When I first started riding it I'd be stopped by every other person asking questions about it, but now just about every snowboarder around here has one.
http://www.splitboard.com/site/Splitboard_Home/Splitboard_Home.html

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Refried,
I'm a fan of BCRiders website for splitters, he has been on TelemarkTips for years posting some cool Backcountry stoke before he started his own site. I lurk there time to time reading up on gear and looking at the trip reports. Most of my backcountry partners are on splits now verses the MSR snowshoes they used to carry along. Funny thing is that my skis are now bigger than the split boards out there. Some of us telemark skiers saw the light and now enjoy the surfy feeling that all of you snowboarders were experiencing off piste.

witt

Adventurer
Old thread, but I ride alpine touring (randonee (french for "can't tele")) in the backcountry. Most of my knuckle-dragging friends ride splitboards.

I currently have a pair of Black Diamond Justice skis and Marker Duke bindings. The whole rockered (reverse camber at the tip/tail, short section of traditional camber underfoot) ski revolution of the past couple of years has made riding truly deep powder a whole new experience. Not much difference in 8" at the resort, but in bottomless backcountry powder it's fantastic.

Let it snow!!

ssssnake529

Explorer
I live/love to backcountry ski. Skied BC a lot when I lived in Colorado. Hope to get out even more now that I live in Utah. (Last year was a bust because I had an early season injury.) Already can't wait for more snow.

I ride A/T gear.

Expedition Leader
Still have my Åsnes Turski wood (Hickory soles with Lignostone edges) cross-country skis and cable bindings. My stock of wax is pretty hard now though. :Wow1:

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
I get about 50-60 bc days depending on how long the spring pack lasts. And at least a hundred on the hill. It's a big part of my life.

18seeds

Explorer
4-5 years ago i did a done of sled access back country skiing. Nothing beats it. As my snowmobile skis progressed I retired the skiing.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
kylek056-1.jpg

Jewl Glacier Mid-October.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
OK, I know we are sort of cheating, but when it gets snowy here we put Mattracks onto the Defender and drive into the mountains behind our house. We try to take the kids out and look for powder once or twice a week when we are in town.
110 tracks small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles