Back Country Skiing

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Anyone here like to venture out into the white stuff?? If so is it by Telemark, Alpine Touring, X Country, or what?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I used to alpine race for Loveland between 1985->1993 or so, before that, in Casper, WY from 1982->1985. After racing I got into more back-country stuff, but unfortunately nothing more extreme than the CO/WY backcountry via hiking.

I got into freeheeling when I met my wife as it gave us the opportunity to hit the same hills, now living in PHX I obviously don't have much of an opportunity but really want to get back into some freeheel stuff as the kids get older.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I ski mostly greens and blues. I have not gone yet this year because the winter is so horrible here in northern NM. I'm not up to driving to northern CO for decent powder. I tried boarding last year and it was memorable. I didn't know my back could pop from top to bottom in one huge ZIP! It was a hard day, I think I'll stick to skiing.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
pskhaat said:
I used to alpine race for Loveland between 1985->1993 or so, before that, in Casper, WY from 1982->1985. After racing I got into more back-country stuff, but unfortunately nothing more extreme than the CO/WY backcountry via hiking.

I got into freeheeling when I met my wife as it gave us the opportunity to hit the same hills, now living in PHX I obviously don't have much of an opportunity but really want to get back into some freeheel stuff as the kids get older.

Cool Scott. I'm a former racer and current coach myself. I raced out of Ski Club Vail in '93 so I'm sure we've probably crossed paths. The ski racing world is a small one. I alpine ski a ton still obviously, and one of the perks of my job is that I get to ski all over the place which is fun. I do however also really enjoy tele skiing and getting off the beaten path. I wish I had more time to do it really, but I squeeze it in whenever possible. I snowboard too, but not very often and only really enjoy going out in the powder backcountry.

I'm really wanting to get more of a cross between tele and XC skiing for exploring and winter camping. I'm thinking of picking up some fat xc skis with edges and waxless bases in the spring for next season. Seems like you could do a bit of everything with those.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Ursidae69 said:
I ski mostly greens and blues. I have not gone yet this year because the winter is so horrible here in northern NM. I'm not up to driving to northern CO for decent powder. I tried boarding last year and it was memorable. I didn't know my back could pop from top to bottom in one huge ZIP! It was a hard day, I think I'll stick to skiing.

Yeah, NM and Southern CO are having a pretty awfull year, meanwhile Northern CO is having a record year. I was in Vail for the a month earlier in the season and by Dec 10th we'd already gotten 9 feet of snow. Pretty wild really.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
No snow in Flagstaff...:mad:

Telemark gear for me!

I guess I'll just have to mountain bike this season.....:victory:

-H-

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
We've had a horrible winter here this year. Very warm with little snow. We typically see 250+ inches of snow and very cold temperatures. Normally in January my porch thermometer reads -15F, this year though, all January has hovered around freezing. We even had a day last week get into the 50's! Crazy! Problem is, its lousy for skiing and biking. At least you can bike H! haha

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Interesting thread. Alpine for me. I also came from the Loveland program, though a hand full of us are still there, either racing, coaching or both. Upcruiser, send me a PM and let me know who you are. I think I know who Scott is, there were only two Scotts that I can think of and I can rule out one.

As for backcountry, I've been too busy with new baby and lack of sleep, and sail boat racing has cut into summer/spring fun (Torreys, Grays, Evans, etc.).

Pshkaat, send me a PM and let me know if you keep in touck with Rachel A.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
PMs sent. Such a small world isn't it? Apline racing in the 1980's yields contininued contact 20 years later on an expedition off-road site! Amazing.

SixLug

Explorer
wooo hoooo!!!!! this is my topic! Im 20 as of this january, and have been skiing since I was 5 years old...my father was an instructer and used to yank me out of kindergarten to ski...ha ha...the good ole days. Anyway, Ive been to a lot of East Coast places, and like them, but nothing touches out west. Ive been to Aspen, Snowmass (CO), and Park City, and the Canyons in Utah. I used to be into the freestyle/park stuff, but kinda got out of it. Im totally in love with the HUGE double blacks outwest, so backcountry tough techinical skiing is where its at for me. I love to ski, and will do it till the day I die. My equip is Volkl 169cm twin tips, Look Pivot bindings, Nordica freestyle boots, and some cheapy Axis poles that I beat the heck out of. Good topic! Keep up the posts.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Exrunner said:
wooo hoooo!!!!! this is my topic! Im 20 as of this january, and have been skiing since I was 5 years old...my father was an instructer and used to yank me out of kindergarten to ski...ha ha...the good ole days. Anyway, Ive been to a lot of East Coast places, and like them, but nothing touches out west. Ive been to Aspen, Snowmass (CO), and Park City, and the Canyons in Utah. I used to be into the freestyle/park stuff, but kinda got out of it. Im totally in love with the HUGE double blacks outwest, so backcountry tough techinical skiing is where its at for me. I love to ski, and will do it till the day I die. My equip is Volkl 169cm twin tips, Look Pivot bindings, Nordica freestyle boots, and some cheapy Axis poles that I beat the heck out of. Good topic! Keep up the posts.

Sweet! I've got a set of Volkl Karma 184's and love them. In fact I was only planning on using them for powder and screwing around on, but now I use them for everything. They ski like a fat GS board and are super stable at speed and hold respectable too. I also have a pair of Allstars in 178cm, 6 Stars in 173, P60 SL's in 165, and GS's in 183's. The Allstars are pretty kickass boards too, especially for railing 'em. Those are my current skis that I use frequently I probably have another dozen or so pairs of older stuff from various years that I don't use anymore but hold onto anyway. For boots I have 2 pairs of Tecnica Diablo Races and a pair of Tecnica labeled Alpine Touring boots that are actually Lowa's in disguise. I use those for the long cold days where I'm standing around alot on the hill coaching. I'm pretty fortunate in the respect that the manufacturers hook me up with equipment each year so it keeps me on alot of new stuff.

My tele gear is actually in the opposite direction. Old School. I have a pair of 198 Black Diamond Eclipses and a set of now 12 year old Merril Super Comps. I think I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to tele skiing. I'd probably ride skinny wooden skis if I had some (and I actually do have some wooden X country skis).

I snowboard too, but not as much anymore, just not enough time and honestly I like skiing ALOT more.

SixLug

Explorer
Man, I hear ya on the snowboarding thing.....Skiing is way better in my opinion. And 99% of the snowboarders out there suck, tail edge the whole way down, and make an icy mess for everyone. Now, this isnt to say that there arent any good snowboarders, because there are, and when theyre good, theyre good. But most of them just tail edge, or are out of control...Ive been hit by so many boarders....And then bad words exit my mouth.

anyway....DUDE!!! You have a ton of BA ski's! Are you sponsored or something? You said something about manu's hooking you up with a lot of gear. Thats pretty tight. Fat ski's are where its at man. Of course, out west, that all you can really get around the back country on.

So you used to park (or still do) it up? I remember my trip to Snowmass, we were huckin HUGE grabs and spins and stuff off the massive table tops....it was one of the coolest feelings floating around in the air forever, then droppin super smooth down the backside...aaahhhhhh.....I wish I was there. Im still turning away from that though and hitting up the back country skiing and Double Blacks....the technical skiing does a lot more for me....and what I really want to do is combine the tricks with the big mountain....nail a huge backflip off a cliff or something...

Im rambling here....theres just not many people I talk to that ski, or ski like I ski (not trying to be cocky). Im trying to plan a trip to Park City for my spring break....keepin the fingers crossed for some mullah....anyway...later for now. Alex

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Well, I'm a former racer and have been a coach now for 10 years. I coached a lot of different levels from club to NCAA to national team projects. I'm employed by the United States Ski and Snowboard Association and work part of my time as a coordinator for events in the Central Division and the rest of my time (actually more of it) as a coach for development projects for the Rocky/Central Region and the National Development System. In addition to that I work here and there on US Ski Team projects. Volkl, Tecnica, and Marker help me out with equipment and have been really great to work with. As far as parks, nah, I don't really get into them much. When I lived in Colorado I was big into the big moutain stuff. And when I lived in Crested Butte actually got to ride with Seth Morrison, Dave Bluestein, Dave Swanwick, and a buch of other really sick skiers that weren't as well known. Seth was nuts of course. My roomate and best friend from highschool was roomates with Seth in college and was/is pretty good friends with him. So, yeah we did some pretty sick stuff, but that was right before the freeriding/park scene went big. That whole scene was in part brought on by Seth and some of the innnovative stuff he was doing off piste. He rips..:bowdown:

Most of my time on snow though is spent coaching and working races. I love skiing a bit of everything but never had much time to get into the park scene, nor do I think I will. I like going fast, I like big air, and I like off piste, but I don't dig inverts, haha.:D

When's your spring break? I'll be in Park City April 9-13th or so. Probably after you'll be their though eh? Anyway, sounds cool, keep it ripping.:)

SixLug

Explorer
yeah...my spring break is march 4-10 or something like that....no worries.

Man, youre a higher-up on the skiing totem pole dude....US Ski Team stuff and all that...pretty cool...I cant imagine what it would be like to make a living skiing. Thats way cool that you knew some of the original park fellas too.

Im out...good talkin, Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles