AT Chaser, where to attach spotter's lines?

mmcan

Observer
Just curious how y'all do this. I have an RTT on a Thule rack (3 bars), but am concerned about using the rack footings to hold the weight of the trailer if it starts to teeter. Or is the Thule strong enough to tie onto?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We have used the uprights to attach a spotter line to. The actual amount of strain on them isn't that much. As you can see from the video the Chaser trailer is up around 60' + and hasn't come close to tipping. All you are trying to do is hold the center of gravity below the tipping point, not taking the whole weight of the trailer.

I would agree that a modular rack like the Thule is not idea for this application, if you wanted something simpler a couple of single loop cargo tie downs could be attached to the lid and removed when not in use.

mmcan

Observer
We have used the uprights to attach a spotter line to. The actual amount of strain on them isn't that much. As you can see from the video the Chaser trailer is up around 60' + and hasn't come close to tipping. All you are trying to do is hold the center of gravity below the tipping point, not taking the whole weight of the trailer.

I would agree that a modular rack like the Thule is not idea for this application, if you wanted something simpler a couple of single loop cargo tie downs could be attached to the lid and removed when not in use.

Thanks Martyn!

Of course, my hope/plan is to avoid a roll over (less weight on the thule rack), not to have to roll the trailer upright, so with any luck I'll be "staying out of trouble" rather than "getting out of trouble". I could also use the swing out tire holder I suppose. That things is well secured when it's latched down.

Another question I have is about descending off camber. If I'm unable to arrange to have a spotter line because of the terrain or whatever, any tricks to staying out of trouble? I would think that the trailer brakes will help, but could also cause problems if they lock up too easily and cause the trailer to slide down the fall line instead of track behind the Jeep. Any hints you might offer? BTW, I read the thread about "Do's and Don'ts", which has great info, but makes me pucker too.

I'm planning to air down my 37" KM2's to around 20psi, hoping to achieve a lower cg and softer ride while not significantly increasing the drag from the trailer. Other than that, do you have any videos of how to do the downhill off camber dance better?

Thanks!!!

Mark

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mark, if you are worried about the trailer brakes locking up on the downhill set the controller to a low setting and use the manual override to apply the brakes. That way you can apply the brakes variably, adjusting them for each section of the downhill trail.

The biggest cause of roll over is the driver forgetting they are towing one of our trailers, there is very little feedback from the trailer to the vehicle due to the suspension and the coupler. The driver gets the vehicle over an obstacle and then accelerates away forgetting the trailer behind them. The trailer hits the obstacle at speed rather than the slow steady approach and departure the vehicle took.

mmcan

Observer
Sounds great. I can easily see how you could forget the trailer is back there. Even with the weak engine in my JK, it has been almost unnoticeable having the Chaser behind me.

Thanks for the words of advice. I will heed them!!!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks Martyn!

Of course, my hope/plan is to avoid a roll over (less weight on the thule rack), not to have to roll the trailer upright, so with any luck I'll be "staying out of trouble" rather than "getting out of trouble". I could also use the swing out tire holder I suppose. That things is well secured when it's latched down.

Another question I have is about descending off camber. If I'm unable to arrange to have a spotter line because of the terrain or whatever, any tricks to staying out of trouble? I would think that the trailer brakes will help, but could also cause problems if they lock up too easily and cause the trailer to slide down the fall line instead of track behind the Jeep. Any hints you might offer? BTW, I read the thread about "Do's and Don'ts", which has great info, but makes me pucker too.

I'm planning to air down my 37" KM2's to around 20psi, hoping to achieve a lower cg and softer ride while not significantly increasing the drag from the trailer. Other than that, do you have any videos of how to do the downhill off camber dance better?

Thanks!!!

Mark

Try running the tires at 10-12psi on the trailer, I run mine as low as 6-7psi on the trail and 15psi on the road, but my trailer only weighs about 1200 lbs loaded up so the sidewalls are not seeing a lot of weight that could pop a bead.

mmcan

Observer
Try running the tires at 10-12psi on the trailer, I run mine as low as 6-7psi on the trail and 15psi on the road, but my trailer only weighs about 1200 lbs loaded up so the sidewalls are not seeing a lot of weight that could pop a bead.

Thanks!

I've thought about this, and will gladly adjust as I see how it's pulling. I'm planning on Pearl Pass, which really shouldn't be too bad for the most part. And I have an on board compressor if I overshoot and deflate too far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne