So can my Dodge 2500 4WD w/ Hawk handle the White Rim?

Durango

Adventurer
Hey folks,

I hope this is the right forum. Thanks to everyone's advice here my wife and I just picked up a Dodge 2500 4WD short bed crew cab and stuck a moderately tricked out Hawk on it. The truck is stock with street tires, a 3:73 axle and a limited slip differential. I've got recovery gear on board, high capacity 12V compressor, shovels, etc. So far we did Ophir Pass near Durango without major drama. (OK, my wife got out and walked that one tight switchback on the west side!)

So my question is this Fall I'd like to do the White Rim trail. Do you think the way the truck is configured now it would be safe for us to solo the trail? Will the wheelbase of a full size crew cab (but with short bed) give us problems on switchbacks, etc?

I've done quite a bit of 4WD stuff over the years but have never done the White Rim. The videos I've looked at don't make it look that hard and my different guidebooks all vary on the difficulty. So you folks are my way of verifying what's what!

We both love the Canyonlands area and have rafted all the rivers. Now we'd like to see them from above! But on the other hand I don't want to put my mid-50's wife into a "precarious" and "not fun" situation. Comments please?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I have taken my '01 Ram Quad Cab short bed all over Canyonlands without issue. I have driven most of White Rim in my Ramcharger, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Ram over White Rim. As you know these trucks are very nimble for there size and do well off road. I would think the newer 4-door rigs would do just as well since they have the same basic suspension and steering. I would suggest having another vehicle with you on White Rim. It is a very long trail, it is not challenging but very remote and anything can happen no matter what you are driving. White Rim is a great trail you will love it. I would call the visitor center, they are very helpful and I am sure can answer all you questions as well as any of us on this forum. Good luck on your travels

Rot Box

Explorer
I've only been on half the trail (entered and exited from the Potash road) in my crew cab with the Alaskan camper on and I had zero troubles. The suspension is all stock with 255/85 tires which I aired down for added comfort. I think you'd be just fine personally...

Durango

Adventurer
Thanks for the help. It sounds like we can handle it. Remember, my truck has the stock street Michelins. Do you think they can do it if I air down a bit or should I (gulp!) put on some off-road tires?

Steve

High_Country

Adventurer
Yes, you absolutely need to put on off road tires.

(Now, print this off, show it to your wife, and use it as an excuse to go buy those tires you've been wanting. Tell her, "see, the guys on the forum say I need to; it's for your SAFETY, honey." heheee)

I too have a fairly new 2011 2500 diesel 4x4 crew cab and would love to take it around the passes in southern colorado - stony pass, engineers pass, Lake city ot Ouray, etc). I have been curious about this as well - will my rig do okay. I have the outdoorsman but it's stock for now but does have the BFG Rugged Trail tires (265's). I did Stony in a bone stock jeep unlimited with street tires no problem. I would suspect my truck would do just fine. But, have been curious about full size rigs on these trails.

thanks for the post. Maybe some more experienced guys will chime in.

redaddiction

Observer
You could pull it off in your stock configuration just remember to air down and gun it through the sandy spots. My wife and I were out on White Rim two weeks ago and we had an older gentleman pass our campsite in a 100% stock Yukon XL. I am unaware if it was 4wd or not. Just remember keep it in 1st and 4wheel lol for the downhill parts and switchbacks. Otherwise the majority can be done in 2wd.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I was there this spring. We came in through potash rd, and I'm fairly sure I could get a decent subaru through the white rim road from there. I don't recall any sandy places, but there are some rougher patches where you just need to take it slow. Mostly it's a fairly decent two-track, or a graded dirt road. Air down a bit for ride comfort, and to help with traction on looser surfaces, and go run it! I would also suggest that you might find a companion though. It is a looooooong way around, and if you break down in the wrong place, it could be a long wait for help, or a long walk to get it! There were lots of places where my cell phone wouldn't work at all. As for switchbacks, there would be a few three point turns, but you'll be fine.

Chris

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I was there this spring. We came in through potash rd, and I'm fairly sure I could get a decent subaru through the white rim road from there. I don't recall any sandy places, but there are some rougher patches where you just need to take it slow. Mostly it's a fairly decent two-track, or a graded dirt road. Air down a bit for ride comfort, and to help with traction on looser surfaces, and go run it! I would also suggest that you might find a companion though. It is a looooooong way around, and if you break down in the wrong place, it could be a long wait for help, or a long walk to get it! There were lots of places where my cell phone wouldn't work at all. As for switchbacks, there would be a few three point turns, but you'll be fine.

Chris

Basically what all said above. I personally had the opportunity to ride and camp the white rim a few years ago. I would love to go back with my F-250 Hawk Setup. Wouldn't think twice of doing it! GO FOR IT! Have a blast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles