A couple of months back I picked up an 80 with the intent of turning it into a DD/family adventure vehicle. My 4Runner is great for wheeling and solo adventures, but with another baby on the way we needed an addition to the stable that would allow us to fit four comfortably. I have a lot going on at work right now, and with the new baby I haven't made any trip plans since going solo would leave my wife at home alone with both kids and family trips this early on just aren't really doable. Well, out of the blue today my wife mentioned that she was thinking about spending a week at her parents in August (with the girls) and encouraged me to plan a trip if I could get away from work. DONE.
The soonest I can get away is the third week of August, so this gives me 30 days to get the 80 ready. "Half-@ssed" means that this is not the final version of the build. I will cut corners to meet the deadline (without compromising safety), and I freely admit this up front. Things may not be pretty, but who cares. The goal is to get out of town next month and worry about the long term build later. So here we go.
1) Baseline maintenance (I'll take suggestions, but at a minimum I'm thinking complete fluids, plugs, wires, and brakes)
2) Rear Storage
3) Sleeping platform (to facilitate stealth mode camping)
4) Kitchen including slide out fridge and table
5) 12V refrigerator
6) Dual Batteries
7) Roof Top Tent (regular camping)
8) Spare tire, Hi-lift, and recovery gear
9) *time permitting* onboard water and hot shower (this is a want not a need, so will take a backseat to above items)
1) 1997 FZJ80 40th Anniversary w/ 110k
2) I have a few things already laying around in the garage, and I plan to rob from my 4Runner wherever possible for temp solutions to meet the deadline so hopefully won't have to spend much time collecting parts
1) 30 days to prep
2) 4 week old at home
3) Big project due at work before I leave (hence the reason I can't get away for another 30 days).
I'm starting this thread mainly to hold myself accountable and keep motivated. A proper build will happen later and I'll start a real build thread then. For now cheer me on as I scramble to cobble together an Expo worthy truck in 30 days.