The Utilitarian-Camper 2nd Gen Tacoma

No forcing at all I'm glad to hear about it this way then at the parts counter after a water crossing. Trying to understand how this system works. So looking at the filler it appears the vent is venting to the inside of the cap area? would the gas cap not be sealing this? or are the gas caps not air tight and its sucking water from under the cap or are the tiny holes on the outside of the filler neck the vent holes?

zolo

Explorer
No forcing at all I'm glad to hear about it this way then at the parts counter after a water crossing. Trying to understand how this system works. So looking at the filler it appears the vent is venting to the inside of the cap area? would the gas cap not be sealing this? or are the gas caps not air tight and its sucking water from under the cap or are the tiny holes on the outside of the filler neck the vent holes?

Cool didn't want to seem like I'm a crazy person.

So the small line is overflow return of gas to the tank. Filling up and topping off. Not sure how this ties into the EVAP canister but it seems to.
This is the conversation I had with my dealer parts guys and they are pretty knowledgeable folks.

The black plastic surround with small holes to the outside are fresh air inlets for the EVAP system. That is the larger hose running to the black box and small pump under the bed. If its submerged the water simply runs into the EVAP can that houses the carbon and the pump and a small solenoid. It is the main piece to try and keep dry.

In my case this happened during winter and the water that had gotten in had frozen and the small pump was all locked up. Brilliant on my part. But whatever I know the issue now and can fix it.

But I'm unsure if simply moving that hose to a different breather would have an effect.
Easy enough to try and saves you a head ache as for moving the filler. Let me know if that works. Be cool if it does.

Finished up bed lining the flatbed and will try and install it tomorrow. I think it came out pretty decent. While I was letting it dry I reinstalled the dual batt tray and wired up the isolator. I'm running the painless kit because 1. its a great price 2. I ran this set up in my old LX and had no issues with it for years before I sold the truck. This time however I made a few changes to better integrate it into the truck. The original kit comes with a toggle switch but on a new truck like this a toggle switch stands out badly. I ordered and installed the Blue Sea Contura Switch where the painless switch would be. I also added a National Luna dual batt monitor which has an alarm to let me know if I'm getting too low on the batts. Will see how the bed goes back on tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 172

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Very nice. I especially like the flush mount battery monitor.
This is an awesome build. I can't wait to see the finished product. :lurk:

Got the bed back on. I spend a good 4 hours working on getting the wiring all cleaned up. All soldered, shrink tubed, and covered. The spare sure tucked up nice under the frame. There is about a quarter inch clearance on both sides of the spare so Id say it couldn't get much better then that. Also got the new rims mounted. Verdict is still out on them, cant decide if I like them or not over the original wheels. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 199

deadbeat son

Explorer
I think I like the stock wheels better too, but your steelies would look amazing in a battleship grey finish with the blue truck. (See photo for evidence.)

IMG_3321.jpg

Question - is that the stock spare tire? If so, any plans to upgrade to one the same size as your others? Will there be room under the bed for a full-size spare?

Last edited:
it is larger then stock however not as large as whats currenly on the truck. More of a get home to fix then a keep on truckin for the rest of the trip

zolo

Explorer
X2 on the grey!
I was against the black wheels on mine and went gray and it looks really good. With your blue truck, the grey would be very low bling and nice looking.
Otherwise its awesome. Definatly wanna see the camper biuld...

zolo

Explorer
All though its pretty damn Mad Max as it sits and thats cool with me also... Looks good with the black steelies... Tough call

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I think I like the stock wheels better too, but your steelies would look amazing in a battleship grey finish with the blue truck. (See photo for evidence.)

View attachment 111879

Question - is that the stock spare tire? If so, any plans to upgrade to one the same size as your others? Will there be room under the bed for a full-size spare?

That is NICE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94