Any decent inclinometers?

VANMAN

Observer
Great piece of equipment -Glance at it just as you start to roll over and then you can tell everyone "Yup it rolled over at 46 degrees!" That's all they are good for in my opinion...LOL!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Great piece of equipment -Glance at it just as you start to roll over and then you can tell everyone "Yup it rolled over at 46 degrees!" That's all they are good for in my opinion...LOL!

I started this thread and since then I've bought the lev-o-gauge which I like enough that I may get a second one and mount it sideways for approach/departure angles too. I somewhat agree with the usefulness (or lack ) of it but for me (still a newbie to the offroad world) it's been helpful on a few occasions. More than once I felt the truck was going to rollover but a quick check on the clinometer showed it wasn't as bad as it felt and allowed me to explore the capabilities of the truck with some level of comfort. Of course, these things aren't 100% accurate so I never say "oh 40degrees, I've got another 5 to go" but for $9 it's worth it to me.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Bought a cheap one, stuck it on the dash. I like it. Wife likes it. Makes people go, "ooo, what's that?"

I don't need a new screwdriver, but I'll probably buy one next time I go to the hardware store, too.

FauxArmy

FauxArmy
Rollmeover by Drivehard

Actually, this is a very good inclinometer and is getting better all the time. Drivehard continues to address development issues. Forget about the pitch and roll as a "warning" system. Other readers are correct in suggesting that good judgement will beat the equipment every time. However, the thing I like about this app is that you can record travel data, which includes not only pitch/roll, but also lat/long and elevation. Plus, you custom set it up for whatever interval readings you want. You are able then to export the data as CSV files into a program like Google Earth Lite. Theoretically, you should be able to go back over your route to see where the hairest moments occurred. I'd like to suggest to Driverhard that giving the app more export options would be good, e.g., you could import the data into BackCountry Navigator if you could export from RollMeOver with KML files instead of just CSV files.

I'd really like to see RollMeOver get a little more attention. I think it has the potential to be much more powerful, than just a inclinometer.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Bought a cheap one, stuck it on the dash. I like it. Wife likes it. Makes people go, "ooo, what's that?"

I had one on the dashboard of my '90 Montero. I called it the "Eye Magnet" since it was always the first thing people noticed.

My step-sister is a pilot, when she saw it she laughed and said "why does your car have an artificial horizon?"

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I had the same one on my '89 Dodge Raider, it worried my mom to death when she rode with me.....

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I had one years ago on my CJ7. Whenever I got to the point where it mattered, I wasn't looking at the dash! I could see it being beneficial for leveling the rig.

tait

This seems an ok app...checking out the RollMeOver app for Android phones, it's actually the first time i ever (seriously, EVER!) wished i had an Android over my iPhone. The day they release RollMeOver for iPhone/iPad, i'll pay whatever the price! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior