I Upgraded

Well today, i was on craigslist and i did a search for ktm....

lo and behold, there was a listing for a 94 KTM 400. Guy said he wanted to downgrade in power....

hmm, I says to myself, I happen to be looking to upgrade in power.... perhaps a deal could be made.

So I call, lay out the deal, he seems interested. 3 hours later, I am here posting about how I traded my 93 KLR 250 +$200 for a 94 KTM 400 LC4

this thing has got some BALLS!!

its a whole different level.

pics to follow..

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah they are wicked bikes, have fun and buy parts off ebay if you can get em cheap, the older bikes are getting harder and harder to find parts for.

Yeah I have been noticing that the parts are hard to come by.

I need to figure out why my lights don't work. I might just buy a new wiring harness and start from scratch. It looks like the wiring has been hacked up a little.

I might need a new rectifier too. I need to do a proper test on it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice score!

Jump on KTM Talk they have vintage section, ton of guys on there to help you with sourcing parts and fixing gremlins.

I believe I have figured out the lighting issue. It appears as though my stator is bad. I ordered a new one, I hope I am correct in my diagnosis.

I'll the wiring looks to be correct now. There was some funky stuff going on under all that plastic, but I have gotten it all figured out (hopefully)

I got the wiring all situated for the most part, went on a test ride last night everything seemed good, except for a sort of bogging down and high Rpm in 5th gear.

Rode it to work this morning, and it died at a stop sign. Kicked it over and fired right up. As soon as I put it in gear it died again. That happened a couple times, then I got it to start and gave it some throttle, jumped it into gear and took off towards home. Made it about 50 yards before it bogged down and died.

It was acting like it was fuel starved but I can see the fuel in the filter I just put on.

Clutch

<---Pass
Float bowl might be hanging up or need adjusted.

I am only going to say the next thing, because I have done it (blame it on my dyslexia) is the fuel filter on the right way?

Depending on how long the bike was sitting the jets might be gummed up a bit.

I am pretty sure the filter is on correct. I double checked it a few times before I put it on, but a triple check can't hurt anything.

I didn't get a chance to tear into it this weekend, too many honey-do's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz