ImNoSaint's Gen III Build

Imnosaint

Adventurer
My wife has offered to label each pin-stripe, hand painted in small letters with a date and place in enamel at the beginning of the gouges that won't buff out. Tokens of the trails. That, however, may give incentive to create some more.

I shot the grill over the weekend to see how Duplicolor's bumper black looks.

Grillblack.jpg

I like the finish and am leaning that direction to black-out the bumpers and all the area covered by the cladding, leaving off the plastic. I think that'll preserve the depth Mudrunneer is talking about. I'm with Sabre and eurosonic - the bare look is more utilitarian, less suburban-cruiser.

I'm patching the holes and sanding down to finish it off nice. Someone suggested just plugging the trim holes with plastic finish plugs and roll over the area with a bed-liner. I just don't care for the texture and don't want the warts leftover by the plugs. Perhaps someone can help out here: If I rolled the liner with a small-nap roller, would that decrease the texture like a Latext paint?

Last edited:

Monstero

Adventurer
You can change the texture...coarse or fine....but only by a certain amount....I didn't like the coarse texture that the roller that came in the herculiner kit made so I used a standard paint roller and was very happy with the fine texture it left behind.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
You can change the texture...coarse or fine....but only by a certain amount....I didn't like the coarse texture that the roller that came in the herculiner kit made so I used a standard paint roller and was very happy with the fine texture it left behind.

Great thanks. Good to know.

Monstero

Adventurer
One of the best mods I did to my Monty is doing the bedliner all around....never regretted it....an highly recommend it to everyone....if u don't like black take it and get it color matched.....seenthat on other rigs and that is very sharp too.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
I took off the plastic wide fenders on my montero sport too, mostly because one of them got knocked ever so slightly then ripped off on the highway. Liked the look without it, took the rest off and patched the holes with body filler multiple times, sanded and roughened up the whole area, painted with some bedliner (need to add more, rusting again!) Then clearcoated it a few times with some gloss spray paint to protect it and give it a shiny look to match the rest of the paint sheen.

04131431.jpg04131806.jpg
04161658a.jpg04161659.jpg
04161659a.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice. If you decide to herculine it, don't forget to cover with a UV tolerant paint or the herculiner will haze within the 1st year.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Okay well I must have been thinking something weird because I looked over your pictures again and this time I noticed that the first shot was with cladding, I didn't the first time...
Also I agree it looks much better without the plastic bits. I have been looking at other GEN III's that have the more ornate plastic. I think the XLS has different pieces.

Also just a side note Monstero is there a build thread for your GEN III because that avatar picture is sick and would like to see more of it!

Mudrunner

Adventurer
How did you put together that little rack system in the cargo area up on the roof? We like to go fishing and also camping would be nice to have something like that up top.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Wow, them is some guh-narly meats.

Eagerly awaiting the pics to come....

Great, those are the ones I'm planing to purchase aswell.
Looking forward to see them on your truck....

I'm eagerly looking forward to it as well. The wheels will be here Monday, Montero stock steelies, but the OME HD set up is out a couple of weeks. Sierra says the rear springs are backordered. Rats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles