ImNoSaint's Gen III Build

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Since I'm getting knee deep into this, thought I'd start a build thread chronicling the progress or the procrastination.

This is what we started with, an '03 Montero Limited we bought to replace our previous land barge, an '07 GMC Yukon, used to haul around four teenagers and one pre-teen. Four have since flown the coup so we downsized three years ago to the Monty. This is my second Gen III, my first was an '01.

MonteroKayak2.jpg

We wanted a good sized SUV to support our kayaking and camping habits. I loved the driving position and handling characteristics of the Monty along with the room, interior design and appointments, the massive sunroof, and its 4X set-up.

MonteroKayak.jpg

It's genealogy begins in a rental car fleet in SLC, Utah, then to a private owner, traded to a dealer where I found it. It's only flaw was a non-functioning seat-fold mechanism on the middle row. I had it repaired and it has since busted again with the same M.O. My first one did the same thing.

I guess my first mod was the Thule Crossroad Railing mounts with 65 inch load bars which hosted a variety of kayak racks and currently support a RTT.

Next were the H&R 30mm spacers on all four corners widening the track and filling in the wheel wells a bit better. I updated the rubber with Cooper Discoverers ATP plus one in size and removed the stock running boards.

MonteroGorge.jpg

Next was the rear-hatch mod about which you can read here. A full tool kit, more recovery gear and defense mechanism are stored beneath the floor.

7FinishedGateClosed.jpg

Shortly after, I bought through this site an Oasis II RTT along with an Eezi Awn awning, both of which have been remarkable. We opted for a light weight RTT at 39 lbs opposed to other RTTs weighing much more. It's provided the best sleep in our camping history, given much of that history has been on motorcycles and kayaks.

LGSCampEstMindy.jpg

I picked up a different set of kayak racks, Thule's Hull-a-Ports to accommodate a sixteen foot boat while keeping enough space for the RTT and awning.

KCCampMoty.jpg

It was this coastal camping adventure that brought about the idea of building a rack of sorts that would get sleeping gear out of the way of loading the big stuff into the Monty's cargo hold.

Stuffrackdetail.jpg

Stuffrackest.jpg

Considering clearance, I lopped off the factory can and replaced it with a Glass Pack. And while it made for better clearance as long as you're watching out for the fuel tank as well, it worsened its exhaust note. At idle and around town it sounds throatier, but on the highway it turns into sounding like a perpetual grunt.

glasspack.jpg

I added a CB to keep up with the local 4X club outings, mounting the antenna behind the spare tire carrier on its hardware.

Antenna.jpg

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Second Phase - Protection, Suspension & Recovery

Took a bigger plunge in ordering rock sliders from Rocky Road Outfitters, along with an ARB bull bar bumper and an HD OME suspension kits.

The sliders arrived and are installed.

GenIIIrocksliders.jpg

GenIIIrocksliders2.jpg

Other recovery gear includes a HiLift jack with a with a Lift-Mate.

The list to go:
  • Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch
  • IPF 900XS Extreme Combo Kit
  • FJC 17X7.5 wheels with 255/75-17 BFG Mudders
  • Maxx Traxx with mounts

Oh, and I almost forgot - if you look real close you'll see the ExpoPortal sticker on the rear hatch.

PGSAlstromrockcairn.jpg

I'll post the bull bar and OME installations when the gear arrives.

Attachments

• QGSCrosbyMoonscape.jpg
    QGSCrosbyMoonscape.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'm excited to see this; we're running a near parallel course with our Gen III. Good luck; can't wait to see how this progresses.

Skidmarkart

Observer
"It's only flaw was a non-functioning seat-fold mechanism on the middle row. I had it repaired and it has since busted again with the same M.O. My first one did the same thing."

Please tell me how you get the seats loose after they quit working! Mine has the same problem. Apparently it's a cable adjustment, but one has to get them loose to adjust the cable.

Otherwise, sweet build! I hope this fall I can start work on mine.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Count me among those who swear at the non-folding rear seat! I've taken mine all apart and have not found it really amenable to being adjusted, so I just cleaned and lubed it. After much trial and error (and swearing), I finally arrived at the following, which almost always works:

1) lift up the little lever at the top, by the shoulder
2) start to fold the seat forward
3) just as the seat starts to fold, quickly lift the lever down by the thigh, on the side of the seat

This finnicky technique has pretty well eliminated the problem for me. Odd that it should be such a common complaint; I wasn't aware of that being the case until you guys started talking about it.

"It's only flaw was a non-functioning seat-fold mechanism on the middle row. I had it repaired and it has since busted again with the same M.O. My first one did the same thing."

Please tell me how you get the seats loose after they quit working! Mine has the same problem. Apparently it's a cable adjustment, but one has to get them loose to adjust the cable.

Otherwise, sweet build! I hope this fall I can start work on mine.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Any updates on this rig? I'd love to see it with the OME kit, tires, and bull bar!

Yeah, me, too. Life and four kids in college have a way of back-burnering this project. I ordered the OME kit last year and after SIX MONTHS of waiting I cancelled the order. I'll try again this May and am open to suggestions on where to order. Rocky Road left me hanging on the ARB bull bar as well.

I've decided to go without the bull bar and have researched installing a winch (Smitty XR8) on the crossmember behind the stock front facia (can't really call it a bumper). And then reinforce with a brush guard. I'll post the process when I get into it in March or April.

I want to go tall and skinny on tires, a better approach for our terrain. Looking to fit 17" 6X5.5 steel wheels (Toyota, Nissan) and test out offset. I have H&R spacers installed to increase track on stock wheels and they've been working well.

Before all that, though, I need to dig in under the hood: timing belt, header gaskets and O2 sensors below.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I would check with Curt at Cruiser Outfitters for your OME lift needs, and then with Wil at Sierra Expeditions for the ARB bumper.

Both great to deal with, and won't give you the runaround like Rocky Road.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
In the meantime, an interior mod.

We use a topo map application loaded on an iPad on our trips and have wanted to mount it. I use the iPad everyday so I needed a way to be able to install and remove it easily, which won't be often since we'll just be using it on the trail. The other criteria to this little project; I'm cheap.

From our local emergency vehicle supply store I found a PanaVise mount at $29. From Lowe's I sourced a 4x5" tin plate and industrial Velcro for under $6 and put this together.

iPadmount2.jpg iPadmountpost.jpg

Solid on the road test, shake and rattle off-road coming up.

RAM makes a trick iPad mount for $77, so there's an alternative should this prove unsatisfactory.

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
I would check with Curt at Cruiser Outfitters for your OME lift needs, and then with Wil at Sierra Expeditions for the ARB bumper.

Both great to deal with, and won't give you the runaround like Rocky Road.

Will do. Thank you.

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
Hi guys
I have a question. I have owned a 1990LE (still have) a 1991, 1995, and now a 1999. loved them all.
We have been looking at 2006 Limited's. How are they off road. There is alot of electronics and they dont have locking axles. I really dont understand the traction control system in them.

How solid are they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke