ImNoSaint's Gen III Build

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Great thread! Just read the whole thing from start to finish. A Gen 3 DiD Shorty is in my future, so I'm at the idea gathering stage... needless to say, lots of great ideas in your thread! But my wife has a pic request: Ginger and Mary Ann in their new digs?

Thank you. For your wife:

GingerMaryAnn.jpg

I decided the shelf was a bit narrow, so I extended it another eight inches and added a pet barrier to finish off the project. I integrated it into the extension with hardware from Lowe's.

Barrier.jpg

ExtendBarrier.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Great looking dogs too, Gilligan!

Am I to understand from reading your first page, that you were able to put kayaks and an RTT on the roof at the same time? If so, how did you go about it? IOW, what system did you come up with? I am currently torn between the shorty and the limo for my next build (in Canada, I'll be able to import a 99 DiD Pajero in the fall of 2014), but the length of the roof may be a determining factor. I don't have the RTT yet, but am thinking about Tepui... as for kayaks, we have two small 10 foot Pelicans, currently racked on my genII using old Thule stackers on a Terzo gutter mount rack. Any insight you can provide as I plan this build (well in advance) is greatly appreciated!

Phil

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Great looking dogs too, Gilligan!

Am I to understand from reading your first page, that you were able to put kayaks and an RTT on the roof at the same time? If so, how did you go about it? IOW, what system did you come up with? I am currently torn between the shorty and the limo for my next build (in Canada, I'll be able to import a 99 DiD Pajero in the fall of 2014), but the length of the roof may be a determining factor. I don't have the RTT yet, but am thinking about Tepui... as for kayaks, we have two small 10 foot Pelicans, currently racked on my genII using old Thule stackers on a Terzo gutter mount rack. Any insight you can provide as I plan this build (well in advance) is greatly appreciated!

Phil

Yes, we did, though our RTT had a small footprint when folded, allowing room for our 16' Ocean kayak mounted on a pair of Thule Hull-a-Ports. Sorry, this is the best pic I have of the combination. The RTT and the Hull-a-Ports were mounted on the Thule load bars.

KCCampMoty.jpg

The Tepui has a larger footprint and may take up too much real estate to allow your pelicans, and not just in length. I've seen improvised racks that place kayak mounts up and over an RTT, but that makes for a pretty high load.

I was curious about the DiD Pajero. Love to see it.

GFO

Observer
Am I going crazy, or didn't you remove the side molding, painted the truck with bed liner and put on larger tires with black rims?

SOFME

Observer
Thank you. For your wife:

View attachment 172722

I decided the shelf was a bit narrow, so I extended it another eight inches and added a pet barrier to finish off the project. I integrated it into the extension with hardware from Lowe's.

View attachment 172723

View attachment 172724

I can tell you love your dogs. that being said i would recommend finding a way to secure them as well. I use a 4 foot climbing daisy attached between the 'oh-**** handles' and harness my dog with d-rings. this prevents the dog from being ejected during a bad accident; or her 30 pound body (specifically her melon) hitting my wife or me potentially killing one or all of us. I will post pictures if your interested.

ps. fwiw, i use to moonlight as a paramedic and have seen a 10 pound tool box kill a man in a car-vs-pole accident which he would have, more then likely, walked away from. Even worse, with out going into details a 1 gallon jug of milk vs a small child in a car seat.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
I can tell you love your dogs. that being said i would recommend finding a way to secure them as well. I use a 4 foot climbing daisy attached between the 'oh-**** handles' and harness my dog with d-rings. this prevents the dog from being ejected during a bad accident; or her 30 pound body (specifically her melon) hitting my wife or me potentially killing one or all of us. I will post pictures if your interested.

ps. fwiw, i use to moonlight as a paramedic and have seen a 10 pound tool box kill a man in a car-vs-pole accident which he would have, more then likely, walked away from. Even worse, with out going into details a 1 gallon jug of milk vs a small child in a car seat.

Great advice, and I'm with you, installing cargo loops in the platform to which we can connect the harnesses. The climbing daisy is a great idea, though I'm thinking to secure them to their lowest polar moment. In thinking about it, though, your approach seems to allow them more freedom.

Yes, anything and everything not secured or tied down becomes a projectile during a yard sale.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Going to the Dark Side

Seems fitting that my 300th post be on this build thread. I'll be starting a new one to chronicle the build of a Hummer H3.

I can almost hear you, "heresy!" "Blasphemer!" but a lot has happened since the latest post on this thread last July - a lifetime ago. It's posted in the FS thread for the Monty the reason why I sold it, and I'll spare the details. Suffice it to say, we're still adventuring together.

I'm now without a garage, limiting my own wrenching and rattle-canning, and someone boosted my entire Craftsman mechanics set reducing me to scratch. In junior high I think we called this a do-over.

I hated selling the Montero, felt like truncating a part of me, and to make it worse, turns out it was more of a basket case than I realized, leaving its new owner some heavy duty mechanic's hours to bring it up to smog standards, of which we don't have any here in SoUtah. Damn. But there were some lessons learned with that platform, and while I looked in ernest to find another Gen III, or even a clean 2.5, there's that law about nostalgia that says you can never go back.

I thought I'd go the Jeep route: incredible aftermarket, proven platform, and huge user support systems. But, as we say in this area, you can't swing a gray-hair around without hitting one, the ubiquitous general purpose vehicle. Ditto the FJ.

I've made fun of Hummers since the H2 hit the market, and when the H3 came along I blew it off as GM's incarnation of Hummer culture on a Colorado platform. As I dug in and did the research I found out that wasn't such a bad thing. The biggest complaint is it's standard powerplant, an inline five that feels more Massey-Ferguson than GM Vortec. But even with one less cylinder it produces 242 hp and 242 lbf·ft versus Mitsubishi's 3.5 at 217 hp and 220 PS. And while the Montero gave drivers and passengers an unparalleled view of the planet, the little Hummer feels like a deuced coupe, though an FJ is even harder to see out of. I wonder if the H3's driving position wouldn't feel so low had I not been conditioned by the excellent ergonomics and position in the Gen III. However, the H3 holds it's own in performance and ability in all the ways I'm going to be using it.

That said and all foibles considered, I've secretly wanted an H3 since they came out in 2005 and with its limited run and termination in 2010, the market hasn't quite figured out what to do with it. Last weekend I came across my favorite color, slate blue metallic, here in my home town and I drove it home.

H3 Pic1.jpg

So, before too long I'll be starting a new build thread under the Domestic: Full Size and Other category, though it will undoubtably be more conservative than the Monty without the space and the tools I took for granted before. The best upside is we'll be back out on the Parashant, The Grand Staircase, the PCH, and roads and trails in between.

Hope to see you out there, just not all at the same time.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Welcome back, glad to hear of the reunification. Also, the H3 is a fantastic off road platform.... Assuming you are short of stature, narrow in the waist, and can use a periscope :)

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I always had a thing for H3. Can be done real well. Also they come in manual. Best of luck on your build.

michel77

Adventurer
Seems fitting that my 300th post be on this build thread. I'll be starting a new one to chronicle the build of a Hummer H3.

I can almost hear you, "heresy!" "Blasphemer!" but a lot has happened since the latest post on this thread last July - a lifetime ago. It's posted in the FS thread for the Monty the reason why I sold it, and I'll spare the details. Suffice it to say, we're still adventuring together.

Wow, Eric! That is great news man, very happy to hear your journey together continues! Don't even worry about the repairs on the Monty, it's all good and she was never a basket case :) I'm super happy with it and she's doing well here in Seattle!

Great to see you back Eric, take care and enjoy building up that Hummer!!

Cheers,
Michel

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Wow, Eric! That is great news man, very happy to hear your journey together continues! Don't even worry about the repairs on the Monty, it's all good and she was never a basket case :) I'm super happy with it and she's doing well here in Seattle!

Great to see you back Eric, take care and enjoy building up that Hummer!!

Cheers,
Michel

Hey Michel - Thanks for the support and I'm both happy and relieved the Monty is doing well. Guess it's time to change my avatar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles