Need some help on 80s model full sizes

delithic

Observer
I am looking at getting one of these trucks soon. 1984 chevy 4 door dually or a 1988 ford f-150 extended cab.

frontchevy.jpgduallychevy.jpgford.jpg

I noticed that on the chevrolet the dually outer rear wheels line up with the front instead of the inside. Is this a chassis truck? How difficult is an axle swap on this and changing it to a single rear wheel truck with new axles. There are a lot more chevy donor trucks in my area, and I was thinking I could sell the flat bed but not if its an awkward size.

My question is, is it a ridiculous process to switch out the axles and bed on the chevy, or should I spring for the ford which just needs a new rear gas tank?

Both are the same price. (I will be using this for my 3 mile daily commute most likely) Both are missing a window on the drivers door.

delithic

Observer
I have been googling like crazy and can't find anything mentioning why these dually wheels are not spaced further out. I suppose I could run the outer wheel with a stock bed until I have time to change out the axles. I guess I won't know until I look under the truck to see if the suspension is even remotely the same on this one.

delithic

Observer
Ok finally found some info out that this must be a C&C dually which means the spring locations are different and the axles swap would be a total pain in the butt. I am going to go with the ford truck I guess. :smiley_drive:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Why not just get some rims that fit the dually that convert them to single wheel? Personally because I am a Chevy guy I would go for the dually. You can get used rims/tires from one hundred dollar man. Just google him and you can find his website. I think he is in California. Good luck on your choice. Ow, and welcome to the site, Cheers Chilli.:)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Chevy is 2wd and the Ford is 4wd, or are both 2wd? Which engines / trannys do they have? Aside from the commute, what else will you do with it?

delithic

Observer
Drove an hour away out to see the ford and someone (assuming one of the neighborhood kids) had filled his gas tank with water. It was turning over with starter fluid in the carb, but obviously wasn't driveable. He was selling the truck because he didn't have time to work on it, and so he didn't also have time to drain the tank (couldn't get the hose into the tank to siphon it out). Its back to the drawing board since the chevy isn't available anymore. Thanks for your input guys. I will wait until I have something more solid to post again.

I was planning on getting an F250 for family trips and for hauling a camper when we decide to get one. We were looking into a travel trailer with a queen bed and some bunks for the kiddos (have a ten month old son at the moment). In the mean time I was looking at getting something that doesn't require payments while we sort out our double mortgage situation. I have been reading this board for about a year now. Lots of great posts on some pretty awesome rigs. Learning alot since I didn't know a lot about axles, lift kits, diesels, tires, etc... My last two cars were an 2001 tahoe, and a 2007 suburban. I have been wanting a truck for a while, but decided on the suburban for my newborn son. Since my wife has an SUV I am finally looking into a truck. I guess I should probably do the F250 now and just cut something else out the budget for the time being.

Chilli - love your set up!

redtheis - Any problem areas to look for with the 7.3 powerstroke? I am going to look at a 2003 7.3 tomorrow.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
redtheis - Any problem areas to look for with the 7.3 powerstroke? I am going to look at a 2003 7.3 tomorrow.

If you look at the front of the truck, without opening the hood or looking under it, there is an emblem on the grille where they circled the problem ;)

Those Super Dutys are good trucks. 7.3 is a stout motor, so I wouldn't hesitate if the price is right. Auto or manual transmission?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Oh Jimmmmmmeh! You are so funny! Luckily I am not brand loyal... I mock all manufactures equally:)!

Delithic, the 7.3 is a strong motor. 2003 is the last year for it, so a lot of people covet them. If I were shopping, I would spend the $100 or so to get a Ford diesel tech to go through it. The auto trans in the superduties is said to be good as well. If it runs well and checks out ok, I'd buy it if the deal was right.

I think if you can afford to buy a better truck now, just do it. Putting money you will never get back in a beater doesn't make sense to me. I may be doing just that soon, but I will recoup the money that goes into a beater by not having to drive my "nice" '97 in the snow and salt. Trucks tend to rot away up here after a few winters in the salt.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Oh Jimmmmmmeh! You are so funny! Luckily I am not brand loyal... I mock all manufactures equally:)!

Delithic, the 7.3 is a strong motor. 2003 is the last year for it, so a lot of people covet them. If I were shopping, I would spend the $100 or so to get a Ford diesel tech to go through it. The auto trans in the superduties is said to be good as well. If it runs well and checks out ok, I'd buy it if the deal was right.

I think if you can afford to buy a better truck now, just do it. Putting money you will never get back in a beater doesn't make sense to me. I may be doing just that soon, but I will recoup the money that goes into a beater by not having to drive my "nice" '97 in the snow and salt. Trucks tend to rot away up here after a few winters in the salt.

I'm not brand loyal either ;). Every rig I've had I have liked for it's certain quirks. Just so happens I've had the worst luck with Ferds.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm not brand loyal either ;). Every rig I've had I have liked for it's certain quirks. Just so happens I've had the worst luck with Ferds.

I sat here for a few minutes trying to figure out if any of my 40+ rigs (see my "vehicular A.D.D." thread for more on this), stands out as more of a money pit than the others. I can't really pick one out. I'm sure there were a few stand outs, but I am lucky enough to have lived in the same small town for 23 years now, and have some good resources to help ease the pain of truck issues.

I think if the '92 Ranger in your sig is an example of the Fords you are buying, that might be the problem. It isn't exactly the best rig to ever roll off the line...

bftank

Explorer
delithic look for something that works with the kiss principle. if this is just your occasional expedition rig. it might be ok to go cheap if you like to work on them to trasform them into something you want. if it will be your daily driver reliability and downtime for repairs becomes more of an issue. so maybe spend a little more on something that has been better taken care of. above all take your time. talk it over a lot.

what i look for in a rig
-does it have the people and gear carrying capacity that i need? (when i bought the explorer i thought it would have the ability to haul 2 adults 2 kids and gear, it's looking like that might not be the case)
-can i pay for it with cash
-is it a stick. (put in a new clutch good to go, less of a need for rebuilds and handle power better than autos)
-is it 4wd (obvious)
-does it have a solid front axle? (personal preference, less moving parts, more predictable suspension travel, better weight capacity, more upgrades available)
-if not how hard/expensive is it to put a solid axle in?
-fuel injection is it complicated or reliable and simple to work on if problems arise
-is the vehicle supported by enthusiasts online i.e. forums?
-is it a diesel? (again personal preference but here's why, capacity to run biodiesel, better power (sometimes), easier to work on the older ones, good fuel mileage)

hope that helps

Heading Out

Adventurer
That Chevy in the pic has a dually axle swapped in, if you look at the front wheels, they're single wheel type.
and don't match the rear, dual wheel set up. a simple bolt in swap to a single wheel corp style rear axle will correct that.

Also the bed swap is not very hard to do.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online