We just picked up the base for our new camper project a couple weeks ago and thought it'd be time to share. It's a '92 E-350 Wheeled Coach with the 7.3L IDI and 102,000 miles. It began life at Frog Level RS before being transferred to Bowling Green VFD. It then was returned back to Frog Level where the previous owner purchased it to be used as a work truck for his contracting company. Failing health meant he never touched it other than attempting to install a new (wrong) hood on it over 3 years of ownership.
For a little background on the decision, we've basically spent the last 5 years traveling the US and Canada in my Tacoma with various camping setups learning each time things we liked and didn't like. 2 Pop-up truck campers, a roof tent, a camper shell, and a pop-up trailer later we've conceded that what we need is more substantial than my little Tacoma can handle. As a result, the Tacoma will stay around performing truck and "fun" off-road duty, while a dedicated camper will take its place for overland-ish journeys. We considered a newer custom built FWC, or even the new compact XP camper for a while, as well as several custom-built options for the Tacoma, but a number of factors made us start looking at larger platforms for a self-contained solution.
We looked at different types of vans, box trucks, uhauls, fire trucks, and other more creative cab/chassis and box combinations, as well as considered doing the build-it-yourself box method before I finally sold the wife on the idea of an Ambulance. After we went to look at one in person, she was convinced. We looked at a few in and around VA until we found an unmolested example that was in our price range and pulled the trigger. This is what we brought home:
Cosmetically it's in pretty good shape. The PO began removing the fire department vinyl, only to find a painted-on stripe in poor condition underneath. Our plan is to finish removing the portion of vinyl that he started, and to cover everything with a neutral-colored stripe that's less "emergency vehicle" looking, and to remove the strobes and replace the red covers with clear ones.
Mechanically it's pretty sound, runs and drives wonderfully, will take it to a familiar fleet maintenance place for a good once-over before any long trips. Eventual plans call for a UJOR 4wd conversion with a mild lift/tire upgrade, but I plan on fully exploring the limits of the stock suspension and limited-slip rear first.
The interior is where we get to have the most fun. We'll be modifying the left side of the box to create the galley area, and the right side will receive a new sofa/bed combination. Carpet will be necessary since our dog hates slick surfaces, and we'll do our best to eliminate the ambulance-ness of it and make it a bit more cozy.
The interior as we picked it up:
Obligatory SketchUp plans: