A Volvo out there anywhere?

gus

Observer
Hi everyone.

After a recent post saying I'd all but settled on a Unimog for our RTW vehicle, I still retain a nagging uncertainty about the last remaining alternative choice ... an old Volvo C306 6x6.

So, I'm looking for anyone in Australia (preferably Victoria or nearby) who owns a Volvo C303/306, and who would be good enough to allow me a brief drive to see for myself just how crude they are ... and if those failings could be easily overcome.

For quite some time now I've been researching possible world touring vehicles for my wife and I. Almost by elimination it keeps coming back to a Unimog, but they're really way larger than we want or need.

The long wheelbase 306 version of the Volvo fits the bill on many counts, most notably a lower height and width, making them far better suited to the streets of many overseas cities and towns, not to mention Australian track.

Yet it's impossible to realistically assess a vehicle you've never driven.

It appears that obvious shortcomings could be overcome with a complete drivetrain transplant of diesel engine/gearbox/transfer case.

But what I can't tell without a few minutes behind the wheel, is whether we could live long-term with such an old vehicle lacking many necessary creature comforts.

Hoping someone can assist.

DzlToy

Explorer
Pretty sure that 304 were available with a diesel from the factory. The gas/petrol motors are dogs for power according to a guy I met at OvEx 2012. He could only do 50-55 mph top speed with his loaded and pulling a small trailer and it took a while to get there.

Diesel would certainly be preferred for a long journey like yours.

and you may wish to consider some information shared in the following thread:

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?t=2404

sixbennetts

Adventurer
We're receiving this beast in a few weeks from Joacim Halling at Coatex AB in Malmo Sweden. We were just like you about the Unimogs, but couldn't justify the size and weight as well.

PICT0003.jpg

I've found that you grow into a vehicle, and half the fun is in the modding! (This mod should be a *hoot*).

TgbFlippac.jpg

BeratE

Observer
Wow, now that is an idea that I had not thought of for these TGB's. Brilliant. I can't wait to see the final product

Christian

Adventurer
I know I'm at the complete opposite of the globe, but I got a TGB1314 (the same chassis as the 304) that I converted to Toyota diesel, a 1KZ-T, including gearbox. The Volvo weighs, including cab, new engine, larger tires (Michelin ZXL 11x9) etc., but complete bare chassis otherwise, 2,100 kgs with me (100kg) in it, IMOP a good starting point!
The 1KZ-T seems like a good fit and adequate powerwise, and parts etc. are readily awailable...

I have driven mogs (316) and the Volvo is more confortable, cheaper, easier to work on, so a good bet if you don't need the size of the mog.

tamarugo

hugo escobar
Hello Christian, finally we got our volvo tgb 6x6 ambulance in Sweden and now is in Chile, we modified the interior of camper and after we will think about swap the motor and gearbox, please comments more about how you feel the new motor working in the Volvo with the new tires, with all stuff inside...

one question, to fit the new tires you should be change the rims do you know the pattern of the bolts? (to buy another rims here)
photos of ou volvo in https://plus.google.com/photos/111217190910844124362/albums/5641254668027177681?banner=pwa

Hugo Tamarugo/Chile

Gripen

Pretty sure that 304 were available with a diesel from the factory. The gas/petrol motors are dogs for power according to a guy I met at OvEx 2012. He could only do 50-55 mph top speed with his loaded and pulling a small trailer and it took a while to get there.

Diesel would certainly be preferred for a long journey like yours.

and you may wish to consider some information shared in the following thread:

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?t=2404

No, they were never manufactured with diesel engines, either C303 or C306. Only straight 6 in line gasoline engines.
Greetings from Sweden!

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hello Christian, finally we got our volvo tgb 6x6 ambulance in Sweden and now is in Chile, we modified the interior of camper and after we will think about swap the motor and gearbox, please comments more about how you feel the new motor working in the Volvo with the new tires, with all stuff inside...

one question, to fit the new tires you should be change the rims do you know the pattern of the bolts? (to buy another rims here)
photos of ou volvo in https://plus.google.com/photos/111217190910844124362/albums/5641254668027177681?banner=pwa

:0
Hugo Tamarugo/Chile

Nice camper!!

I'm surprised there's room to sleep across the truck?

Jason

:)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I know I'm at the complete opposite of the globe, but I got a TGB1314 (the same chassis as the 304) that I converted to Toyota diesel, a 1KZ-T, including gearbox. The Volvo weighs, including cab, new engine, larger tires (Michelin ZXL 11x9) etc., but complete bare chassis otherwise, 2,100 kgs with me (100kg) in it, IMOP a good starting point!
The 1KZ-T seems like a good fit and adequate powerwise, and parts etc. are readily awailable...

I have driven mogs (316) and the Volvo is more confortable, cheaper, easier to work on, so a good bet if you don't need the size of the mog.
Hi Christian.

Did you use the Toyota Tansfercase? What sort of cruise speed do you get with the XZLs? Have you looked at aftermarket parabolics , discs , power steer kits, etc that I see are now available? I realise this is an old thread but any info would be much appreciated as I realise there is far more knowledge base on these chassis in your corner of the world.

Thanks John.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles