M416 help

Michigan4x4

Observer
Guys.. I have been searching the site and gathering ideas. I just bought (saved) a M416 Trailer. It needs some work! The Previous owner cut out the rear panel with a torch hoping of fabbing up a tailgate but never got it done. The piece that was cut out did come with the trailer. The trailer also needs a replacement floor. It isn't terribly rotted, but rotted enough that I would not feel comfortable trying to save it. There are several areas where I can push a screwdriver through the rusted metal.

So, I need some help. If you have fabbed up a tailgate for your M416 I need some detailed photos of what you did or if not, a write up/game plan to follow. Detailed photos sure would help me plan out what I need to do. I am a lot closer to being a novice metal worker than I am a master... so... anything would help. Hinges, Latching methods, support structure etc. My biggest worry is not the tailgate itself, but bracing the sides so they don't spread apart/weaken.

Lastly, if anyone has replaced the floor of their trailer, how about some photos or a link to your build? I am concerned where to make cuts. Do I weld in some angle iron to the tub sides to support/strengthen the new floor. The side of the tub are solid. If using sheet metal what gauge sheet metal should I go with. I believe the trailers are 16g if I am not mistaken. Go a bit thicker for a new floor? Just curious and looking for a game plan.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Jeff
PS. As mentioned in a previous post.. I need a Lunette ring!

HP_Photos 013.jpgHP_Photos 009.jpgHP_Photos 008.jpgHP_Photos 001.jpg

Attachments

• HP_Photos 017.jpg
    HP_Photos 017.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 10

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
Look up midwest military. The make new floors (with the drain plugs and brackets) and also lunnette rings. If it is for an M416 they probobly have it.

Michigan4x4

Observer
Look up midwest military. The make new floors (with the drain plugs and brackets) and also lunnette rings. If it is for an M416 they probobly have it.

Yeah.. I know. Trying to figure out an alternative that is a bit more cost effective. I could buy a 1/4 inch thick piece of sheet metal (6'x41") for the $495.00 they want for a floor. I am not really concerned about a "correct" restoration, just really looking to make the trailer serviceable again. I do appreciate the suggestion. The lunette is a bit pricey as well. Was hoping to find someone that may be switching over to a adventure trailers type hitch or other aftermarket type hitch and not using the Lunette.

Jeff

Michigan4x4

Observer
Check out this... I know some people who have used them for both Jeep and M100 trailer panels. Their prices are very reasonable and I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of their work.

http://www.greenespanelworks.com/uploads/Catalogue_landscape.pdf

Yep.. I saw that as well. Definitely more reasonable than Midwest Military. I am going to price a piece of sheet metal. Probably 12 gauge or so. If I can get the sheet metal cheaper (which I am sure I can) locally, then I will probably just weld in a piece of sheet metal. Looking for those of you that have replaced the floor on this trailer. I know there has to be some other guys out there that bought a trailer in worse shape than mine.

Thanks again.
Jeff

Michigan4x4

Observer
AA1PR - was the Parking brake and hardware removed from your trailer? I am wondering what wheels those are that you are running? I will be needing new tires and would like a radial (on a bit bigger wheel) but I don't think the hubs will allow for the as hubs are rather large. Your brakes must have been removed or you have a different axle under the trailer. Let me know what the story is.

Thanks
Jeff

Michigan4x4

Observer
Anyone else that would like to share tailgate designs? I cant believe that I am the only guy that bought a 416 with a rotted floor and cut rear panel.

Thanks

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
AA1PR - was the Parking brake and hardware removed from your trailer? I am wondering what wheels those are that you are running? I will be needing new tires and would like a radial (on a bit bigger wheel) but I don't think the hubs will allow for the as hubs are rather large. Your brakes must have been removed or you have a different axle under the trailer. Let me know what the story is.

Thanks
Jeff

Early CJ5 wheels fit without a problem and can also be found in a 16" wheel or 15" wheel. I still have all the brakes on mine.

16" ECJ5 Wheels

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

I have seen Early CJ5 tailgates modified to fit a M416, but if you have the original rear panel I would reinforce it and the edges of the trailer and just make a tailgate out of it. You could use CJ7 hinges to allow it to lower and some truck tailgate cables to hold it level.

This is a Sierra 4x4 trailer, that is based on an M416, but this is kind of what I am talking about with the tail gate.

off-road-trailer-s4x4t-tailgate-0.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I agree! fabing the tailgate is a one day project.
Make it hinge to the side if you like. then hang a counter top on it.

Michigan4x4

Observer
Thanks Jeepfreak. I really appreciate the help with the wheels. I was not aware that the early CJ5 wheels would work. Any idea where I would start looking for the CJ5 wheels. PM me if you want. I am not a jeep guy so am unsure how readily available they are.
I priced out a 72"x41" piece of 11 gauge (1/8th inch) sheet metal from my local welding shop. They said it would be $140.00 and they would make all necessary cuts for free. So that is probably the route I will take with the floor.

As for the Tailgate. Based on initial research I have heard many guys like the tailgates and others have said that a tailgate compromises the structural integrity of the tub and they hardly ever use it. Not sure what I want to do at this point. I can see that if a cover, RTT and other stuff are added to the trailer how side flexing (with a tailgate opening cut) could become a problem. Looks like if I do decide to keep the tailgate and fab something up, I will want to strengthen the the panel and surrounding structure with square tubing.

Thanks for the help guys !! Let me know about the CJ wheels. What year CJ wheels should I be looking at. I really like the plain style steel wheels like you show in your photos.

Jeff

Last edited:

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Thanks Jeepfreak. I really appreciate the help with the wheels. I was not aware that the early CJ5 wheels would work. Any idea where I would start looking for the CJ5 wheels. PM me if you want. I am not a jeep guy so am unsure how readily available they are.
I priced out a 72"x41" piece of 11 gauge (1/8th inch) sheet metal from my local welding shop. They said it would be $140.00 and they would make all necessary cuts for free. So that is probably the route I will take with the floor.

As for the Tailgate. Based on initial research I have heard many guys like the tailgates and others have said that a tailgate compromises the structural integrity of the tub and they hardly ever use it. Not sure what I want to do at this point. I can see that if a cover, RTT and other stuff are added to the trailer how side flexing (with a tailgate opening cut) could become a problem. Looks like if I do decide to keep the tailgate and fab something up, I will want to strengthen the the panel and surrounding structure with square tubing.

Thanks for the help guys !! Let me know about the CJ wheels. What year CJ wheels should I be looking at. I really like the plain style steel wheels like you show in your photos.

Jeff

If you do the tailgate like the Sierra Trailers tailgate and leave some meat on the sides, as well as use a good latch, I do not think you will lose that much structural integrity. You just need to beef up the area where the tailgate latches, and where that support is anchored to the frame.

Where do you plan to take the trailer? If you really only camp around Michigan, there are not a lot of trails that would really beat up the trailer much. Mine will be used primarily in the UP.

As far as the wheels, I would start by putting a want ad up on www.greatlakes4x4.com . I actually believe any CJ wheel would fit, not necessarily just the ECJ5 wheel.

You could also do a want ad on www.earlycj5.com

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Here is a members tailgate and it looks stout!
Craigslist ad for the wheels and you should find a set easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 14

Trailpsycho

Observer
I did something very similar to the pic above for my tailgate. I used a 1/8" thick "piano style" hinge however. I beefed up the corner-edge of the tub a bit more with a piece of 1.5 or 2" X1/8" thick angle...as a base--to the tub. This provided a more stout section to mount the hinge and to base the rest of the framing for the tailgate opening.

I added some plate in the very corners of the bed...this provided a stronger base for adding angle to frame the tailgate opening, which were then made to appear cleaner-looking with a piece of 1" square tube.

Like the above pic, I used a angled brace from the top corner, adjacent to the tailgate to the inside edge of the bed-rail. This ridgidified the bed tremendously. Unlike the above photo, I used SS clamp-latches that I scored off of an industrial site on ebay. There is just enough spring in the clamps to pull the structure very square and tight.

I didnt take any pics during the build-up, but I can take some pics, if you would like. They may only be phone pics for now as my lap-top is in for repairs for the next week or so. I also framed the outside of my tailgate in 1X2" and then added some 1X1 square tube for verts. Its skinned with the original tub cut-out. I havent installed any support chains or limit straps for the tailgate. Right now its still serving haul-duty and storage...but I should be able to start tinkering more and more over the next few months to get it ready for next spring. Already have the RTT and awning...I am still planning the lid and riser mechanism for the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior