M416 help

Michigan4x4

Observer
If you do the tailgate like the Sierra Trailers tailgate and leave some meat on the sides, as well as use a good latch, I do not think you will lose that much structural integrity. You just need to beef up the area where the tailgate latches, and where that support is anchored to the frame.

Where do you plan to take the trailer? If you really only camp around Michigan, there are not a lot of trails that would really beat up the trailer much. Mine will be used primarily in the UP.

As far as the wheels, I would start by putting a want ad up on www.greatlakes4x4.com . I actually believe any CJ wheel would fit, not necessarily just the ECJ5 wheel.

You could also do a want ad on www.earlycj5.com

Exactly. Mine will be used in the UP as well and possibly up in Canada. You are right, there aren't a lot of tough trails in MI. I may just keep the stock wheels and mount radials on them I was told you can mount 215/85/16 without much problem or 225/70/16.

Mark.. I will check craigslist for the wheels as well. Thanks!!! I appreciate the help and photos.

Michigan4x4

Observer
I did something very similar to the pic above for my tailgate. I used a 1/8" thick "piano style" hinge however. I beefed up the corner-edge of the tub a bit more with a piece of 1.5 or 2" X1/8" thick angle...as a base--to the tub. This provided a more stout section to mount the hinge and to base the rest of the framing for the tailgate opening.

I added some plate in the very corners of the bed...this provided a stronger base for adding angle to frame the tailgate opening, which were then made to appear cleaner-looking with a piece of 1" square tube.

Like the above pic, I used a angled brace from the top corner, adjacent to the tailgate to the inside edge of the bed-rail. This ridgidified the bed tremendously. Unlike the above photo, I used SS clamp-latches that I scored off of an industrial site on ebay. There is just enough spring in the clamps to pull the structure very square and tight.

I didnt take any pics during the build-up, but I can take some pics, if you would like. They may only be phone pics for now as my lap-top is in for repairs for the next week or so. I also framed the outside of my tailgate in 1X2" and then added some 1X1 square tube for verts. Its skinned with the original tub cut-out. I havent installed any support chains or limit straps for the tailgate. Right now its still serving haul-duty and storage...but I should be able to start tinkering more and more over the next few months to get it ready for next spring. Already have the RTT and awning...I am still planning the lid and riser mechanism for the tent.

Sounds like a very good approach! If you wouldn't mind taking a few photos i am a visual person. I do appreciate the write up. Sounds like you have a nice tailgate!!

Thanks again.
Jeff

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
AA1PR - was the Parking brake and hardware removed from your trailer? I am wondering what wheels those are that you are running? I will be needing new tires and would like a radial (on a bit bigger wheel) but I don't think the hubs will allow for the as hubs are rather large. Your brakes must have been removed or you have a different axle under the trailer. Let me know what the story is.

Thanks
Jeff

The rims are 15" Jeep rims, the tires are (I think 12ply) trailer tires I purchased from tirewarehouse.

I wanted aggressive off-road tires but their policy states only trailer tires on trailers & since I was 60 miles from home I was at a disavantage, sinc ethe old ones were dry rotted & I did not think they would survive the trip home

the guy I purchased my trailer from gave me a binder full of the receipts & documentation on what he had replaced or repaired. The pads were replaced & all the bearings were replaced as well. I got lucky on this one

I have the M416 manual on PDF, so if you pm me with your email I can send you a copy or anyone who wants a copy

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
For wheels, any aftermarket 5 on 5.5 lug pattern for a 4x4 should fit. Dodge, Ford and Jeep all ran this pattern, and the 4x4 aftermarket wheels have a large enough center hole to fit.

Big problem with that, is the back spacing. Most have a 3 3/4" BS, which makes the tires stick out. (easy fix to extend the fenders for tire coverage)

You are correct that you can run new tires on the stock wheels, that's the way my dad's M416 is set up. Just has valve stems (for a tubeless tire) in the hole where the tube' s stem would come out.

Michigan4x4

Observer
Hill Bill E.

Do you happen to know what the ideal back spacing would be without fender mods. I am just looking to go with the same tire/wheel that is on my 2004 Chevy Colorado. However, if I did go that route, I would have to swap the axle for an aftermarket one.

Thanks for the help guys.
AA1PR. I do have a copy of the M416 Technical Manual. Thanks though.

Jeff

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The GM wheels have a 6 lug pattern with a deep back space, With 5 to 6 lug adapters it may work out ok with your
original axle.

Attachments

• 2422-042-wheel-profile-480.jpg
    2422-042-wheel-profile-480.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 79

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Sorry I am late to the game on this build. Always glad to see another M416.

Any of the CJ rims will work and all are 15". To change the pattern you need an adapter or another axle. US Wheel Adapter in Colorado can make a set for about $125. This will make most tires stick out beyond the fenders. If the tires are tall and match the tow vehicle you may need to springover to clear the fenders.

I do not have a tailgate on mine but if you build it like Sierra 4x4 I know it is strong as I have seen their work.

I have a build on here somewhere so take a look if you think it will help.

Great trailer (but then again I may be biased!!!)

EDIT:

Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/66531-M416-Build-to-go-behind-my-CJ?highlight=

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior