what trailer is this?

navigator

Adventurer
I was told it is an old military generator trailer, just curious if it has a name like the M101 or M416 etc.
I can't find any plates or labels on it. The previous owner modified it as a tool trailer. I plan to build a mild camping trailer out of it.

114.JPG

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I looked but can't find the army description or number.
Check Steelsoldiers.com It is a great start for an Expo build.
Here are some I found that are close.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 283
  • genset_trailer_045.jpg
    genset_trailer_045.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P7150008.jpg
    P7150008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4
  • P7150002.jpg
    P7150002.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 4

Michigan4x4

Observer
I know it is not a M416, M100, M101. It looks like a modified water or ammo trailer, if, in fact, it is a military trailer at all. Almost looks like some of the German trailers I have seen. Not really sure.

Jeff

Tennmogger

Explorer
Your trailer resembles some commercial lighting trailers. They are equipped with a small generator and a mast for lighting, for construction sites and such. Here's a picture of one I'm rebuilding to be a ham tower trailer, not the same as yours, but the heavy, low profile is similar. I agree that these little trailers will make great camping trailers. They are built very tough and have better road clearance than most consumer-type trailers. Plus, they are rather inexpensive after taken out of service, having bad generators, etc. This one had a military MEP-017A generator, 5 kw gas, which is overkill for me. I'll be adding batteries (24v, 150 AH) to the rear deck for power during extended camping trips or ham radio events.

Bob

Attachments

• projects 008.JPG
    projects 008.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 3
  • projects 084.JPG
    projects 084.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 4

navigator

Adventurer
Your trailer resembles some commercial lighting trailers.......
You could be on to something. I can see inside where the generator originally mounted, it has something similar to rubber motor mounts to absorb vibration. All of the vertical posts appear to be items the previous owner added. He said he was a welder and he welded all kinds of convenience items to the trailer.This trailer is also pretty light, I can roll it by myself around the yard. It doesn't seem military style overbuilt at all. It also had some pretty long leaf springs which he removed and just welded the axle to the bottom of the trailer.
As things start to come together I'll document my build. Right now I'm kind of accumulating things and waiting for it to cool down a little.

navigator

Adventurer
One other bit of information is it appears there was possibly a hand brake on it previously. With the hand brake and the pintle hitch I just figured it was military but seeing how light it was built I would accept an argument to the contrary.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
New leaf springs and tear off the welded on extras and it will be even lighter.
Shoot some front and back shots, I am interested in the design. I like it.

navigator

Adventurer
here is a pic of the tongue area you can't see the pintle.
file.php

navigator

Adventurer
I don't have a good pic of the rear, what you can kind of see, the previous owner added an extension you can pull off with pins. He had a pickup toolbox back there.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks cool! I would start by removing all of the added hangers and tubes.
Remove the axle and measuer for springs and an axle with matching lug pattern to your
tow vehicle. You could use pistons and gull wing the sides with canvas to make sleeping quarters
but it looks shorter than six foot long.

You already have a propane tank mount and a rack for a RTT.
keep us posted on what you do.

navigator

Adventurer
my first plans are to correct the hitch, the PO had welded flat stock on the pintle to convert it to a farm style hitch.
I might try putting a receiver in for the tongue so I can switch from a 2" ball to a pintle(or other offroad hitch) if needed. Having the option to extend it for the road and backing and shorten for tight spaces is also a nice option.

I need to clean up a little rust on it and paint it.
I think I might have already sourced another axle in the right lug pattern and I have picked up a set of wheels.
The tub is only about 42WX49L so no plans for any sleeping quarters and no immediate plans for a RTT(unless I find one for a steal).
We have two kids that are usually with us and many times they bring friends so our standard tent is fine. I'll store my tent and other camping items inside the tub. Just having most of our supplies in one area will be a major time saver.

I'm thinking of installing a slide for the stove/cooking area on one side and possibly OBW in the belly of the tub, possibly a sink(with a top) on my kitchen slide.
I might remove the rear rack and replace with a receiver tube. The receiver would allow me to use a cargo carrier or bike rack if needed.
The main thing for me is for it to be functional and cheap.
So far I have $200 in the wheels and the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior