So, after much searching, I found the trailer I'm going to build. It's a '52 Dunbar M100 that had moved on to Forest Service duty, and then onto a local FD. It popped up on a local GSA auction sale, and after watching it for a week, I missed the closing of the auction. Luckily for me, it was too small for the auction winner, who then picked up an M101A1 instead, and the one I wanted showed up on Craigslist. Even though it looked rough from 5' away, it looks better the close you look because most of it was failing paint. It's not perfect, and it certainly won't be after this phase of the project. But my goal is to get it road-worthy and cleaned up for utility use, and then move onto prepping it for adventure/overland use.
Day I brought it home. I wasn't sure how road-worthy it would be, so I borrowed a trailer to tow home my new trailer!
The hacked-in tailgate. I'll be having a friend weld the panel back in. Because it was cut at the corners, the tub has no real stiffness. So for now I'll keep it welded in and could re-modify it at a later date.
Progress with the 40 grit orbital sander:
Limited filler and some self-etching primer on the tub. Hammered underneath. And some black on the frame/tongue/rails/fenders to see how it's going to come together. Not pictured is the axle and spring plates cleaned up and painted with hammered.
That's where it stands right now. Orders have been placed for the following:
- Leaf Springs
- U-Bolts & Nuts
- Pivot Bolts
- Brass Bushings
- Herculiner for the bed
- Paint from for the fenders/frame/tongue
These should be arriving this week, allowing for limited re-assembly.
I've also picked up a new lunette ring end and will be sleeving the original cut lunette and the new end and having those welded up to create a new lunette. I've spoken to the guy who is going to do this, and is confident that he can do the appropriate pre- and post-heating to safely and securly weld the sleeve to the drop-forged lunette. The plus with this is I can keep the pintle hitch but can also go slightly longer to improve handling and reversing of the trailer. I'll probably go from an overall lunette length of 20" (stock) to 24" or so.
The last thing I need to order up is the paint. I'll be getting the rattle cans mixed to match the Sahara Tan color of my '12 JKU.
The parking brakes are likely shot, but I'm not going to worry about that at this time. I'll keep chocks for now, and address the brakes at a later date. The handle is pretty well seized up, too. But I'm sure that can be rehabbed when I address the brakes.
I'll update as things progress. But so far, so good.