Well, I had a productive day today...
First, a word of warning. While I have no issue of the quality of the Crown springs I got from Quadratec, they are not directly compatible if you're going to keep the c-shackles. The shackle end has an extra insert, which is probably perfect for a modern shackle, but results in too small an opening for the c-shackle. We were able to drill out the insert, and while the 3/4" bit didn't survive., the opening fit perfectly once the insert was gone. Anyway, on to today.
Got the new suspension components assembled and tried spring-over. Everything went together well, but once we measured up the lunette position with a level trailer, it put the hitch up into my spare tire. It was at least 3-4" too high to work. So we managed to pull everything apart, re-mount the springs and go back to spring-under. This put it it just about perfectly in line with my hitch, so I should be able to make it work.
We also fit up my repaired lunette and it looks great. It really is very stout, and looks great. Unfortunately the swivel part of the landing leg was hacked to remove the hole to secure the leg in the down position, so I'm considering replacing it. And I'd like to make an extension to give it the extra 3-3 1/2" I need for it to sit level when it's stored.
And I'm still not sure what to do about the back. The panel cuts are pretty ragged, so I'm not sure how well it can be welded back together. Right now I'm leaning towards sandwiching the cut with an inner and outer angle and thru-bolting it for now. That way I can take my time deciding my long-term plans, will restore the stiffness to the back of the tub and can get it on the road.
Finally, a bit of an issue with the paint. I'm finding some bubbling/flaking of the primer over the some of the old paint that wasn't fully removed. We're not sure if it was humidity/moisture related, or if some of the stripper used inside the tub for paint removal caused the problem. So it just means some additional prep will be required before final paint on the tub.
Tucked away until we can work on it again: