Goal Zero + Pelican

dblosch

Adventurer
GoalZero may be a bit costly, but as a system they make some great stuff that is very interchangeable.

I have used "the heck" out of my light-a-life's. They are great. Daisy chained together, with the ability to turn them on/off independently... awesome.

However, I have really struggled with the battery packs. I'm on my second Escape 150. The first one still had some pieces labeled "Scout 150," so I guess it was a while ago. Neither has performed up to par. The electrical connection for the lights is loose and finicky. My current unit won't hold a charge to save it's life, even though I follow the storage procedures recommended by GoalZero. REI has stopped carrying the Escape 150 all together, or I would just exchange it for a new one. I know GZ offers a replacement battery for $50, and you can get 25% off if you ask nicely... But I'd really like to find a longer-term solution. Last trip out the cigarette lighter adapter got more use than the battery pack.

Wait... on second thought... Maybe a pelican with half a dozen lights, and a few cigarette lighter adapters would be more useful... Hmmmmm... Could pack some extension cords, too.

Dan

thatguysgarage

Observer
I use the light a life a lot, and I carry a light house in the car just seamed like a good safety product. I am a little disappointed to here about the 150 I got one to build a kit bag for I'm going to start on it next week and see if I liked it.

Matt
Www.thayguysgarage.com

hitek79

Explorer
So it's definitely not as nice as a Pelican, but I found this case at Bass Pro Shop for $19. Picked up the lamps for $21 as a closeout at REI!!!

IMG_0242.jpg

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Escape Pelican

I too have set up the Escape in a Pelican, 3 Light-a-Lifes and cords. (Pic pending) Had a problem last trip. Full charge before i left, opened and deployed system. Escape showed no bars for charge. Had to use cigarette adapter to vehicle for lights. Put on charger when I got home, immediate full charge. Does the Escape have to "settle" in a vertical position before use?

dblosch

Adventurer
Does the Escape have to "settle" in a vertical position before use?

Nice setup! I wouldn't think it needs to be vertical, since the battery isn't oriented that way inside the unit. It seems most of the problems people are having, myself included, have to do with storage. Goal Zero used to recommend storing the unit plugged in. Now they say to charge it once a month. They sell replacement batteries, for the units, too. I haven't found a real answer to the battery life problem yet, though. HTH!

Dan

vladig

Observer
Bringing this back from the dead, as it has lots of good ideas, here is the way i have my case setup for 4 Boulder 15 panels a Guardian10 charger and still deciding on how to add all the cabling i have.

The case is a older Pelican 1600 that i had laying around

case.jpg

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Pelican Shmelican - overpriced overweight plastic boxes. There are a zillion other choices for less money that weigh less.

Sorry if I've offended all the P-lovers

vladig

Observer
I guess i should not tell mtnDan about the pelican case that im going to put into my pelican case

j5mxd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior