Antique or Vintage license plates

Kflash

Adventurer
Not that I'm trying to avoid the need to have the Maryland Trailer Inspection so that I can finish the title transfer, registration and tag, but has anyone applied for a historic/antique tag for their trailer? I am being told that if that is the route I go, I don't need to have it inspected. I'm not sure however if this limits the trailer's use or costs more to receive this tag.

Any thoughts?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
How do I register a vehicle as an historic vehicle?

To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be a passenger vehicle, motorcycle or truck (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less): be 20 calendar years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design.

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/27300/27300-28T.htm

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
you're lucky if you can get a personalized plate for your trailer.

I tried last year & was told "NO"

Robert Bills

Explorer
Too bad Maryland doesn't allow vintage or historic plates on trailers. In California, the "Year of Manufacture" vintage license plate program includes trailers. However, it involves costs for a "VIN verification" and the application fee, and the trailer still needs to be inspected.

I was very lucky to find a 1946 California trailer plate and tag (actually a '45 plate with '46 metal tag) and have it assigned to my '46 Bantam trailer. It was the last piece to the restoration. Now all I have to do is find a 1946 Jeep CJ-2 to match. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior