Lockers?

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
I am considering putting a locking differentials in my Jeep Liberty KJ and I am wondering if it is the right thing to do. There is nothing wrong with the Detroit TruTrack LSD that I have in the rear now and the front is a stock open diff. There is a lot of other things I want to do to the Jeep as well to make it more reliable when going off road as well as additional stuff I want to get to make it more useable while camping like gas cans, water cans, a set of MaxTrax, etc. etc.

I am wondering, those of you who have lockers, how often do you use them and in what type of terrain? I am not really a rock crawler though I do get into some fairly tough trails while out camping in my Jeep but I am more interested in overlanding than "wheelin" or mud bogs. Do you think my money is better spent elsewhere?

Considering how expensive it will be to put locking diffs in, I'm going to be doing a lot of research but I thought I'd post here as well to get the opinions of those who care to give theirs. What do you think?

Thanks for looking and hopefully responding to my post.

Not needed for most, but it can be a good thing to have. As for me right now my fzj80 is open open and first order of business was bigger tires small lift and sliders and skid plates. Now I am onto some more pm and a couple other things that are needing attention. Then will come bumbers and a winch, then will come lockers. As for when to use, mud, climbing, rock, or anytime that one tire is spinning but you go nowhere because the tire with traction aint moving because other is spinning. There are 2 ways to go with lockers also something like a detriot locker that is always locked so to speak and an at command locker like arb, which is the way I plan to go.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I have ARBs on both ends of my rig. Unless I'm on a pretty serious trail I almost never use them. But those times I do need them, they're really nice to have.

I'm not familiar with what diff the KJ has up front (D35?) but on some vehicles the IFS CV half shafts tend to be a weak point (lockers being able to direct 100% torque down one side puts more stress on shafts and other components). However if you're not planning on real big tires (31s or smaller), you'll probably be fine.

Tip:
If you have a TrueTrac now, you can get that unit to grab a lot better by simply applying the brake a bit if a wheel is spinning (the parking brake can work as well). Depending on the terrain you're trying to get over, this may suffice just as well as a locker.

Heuschele

I have rear locker and differential control adjustment. I seldom use the locker but every time I have it has either saved my a__ or saved me a lot of work. Without the locker at least twice I would have needed to abandon the car. My view therefore is that you will not need them a lot but when you do you will be real glad you have the lockers. Unfortunately I can say the same for other items on your list and those items would be cheaper.

For example I can say similar for skid plates, sliders, lift, or bigger tires. I would get protection (skids and slider) before capability (lockers, lift, or bigger tires). You can always ditch a car and come back with help but if you rip an oil pan you could freeze the engine. Similar other damage can be costly.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Some good replies already! I knew I posted this in the right forum. I should have mentioned that my Liberty already has full skid plates, a 2.5" OME lift and sits on 31" Goodyear MTRs. It also has a Defender roof rack, BoulderBar sliders and an ARB winch bumper.

The D30a front diff is a weak point for the Liberty and I've considered the steel replacement unit that is sold by Jeepin' By Al, though it's quite pricey it would be a good option to get when I decided to put lockers in. I would likely go with ARB units front and rear.

I think for now at least, I'm going to continue to get the stuff I need more for camping/overlanding and wait on the lockers. Not having the funds helps in that decision too. I'm going to build out my recovery kit and get set up with a snorkel to make room for another battery in the engine bay, better gas & water storage, etc.

I already removed the back seat and built a storage/sleeping platform so I can carry a fair amount of stuff inside the Jeep too. In time I'll have the transmission rebuilt, get the steel front diff, lockers and replace the drive shafts and CVs. All that is going to be quite expensive so I have to save up the cash!!

Thanks for all the good advice, I really appreciate it!

Bergum

Adventurer
One last thing. If you have free hubs in the front, it is more convenient to lock the rear, than go out to close the hubs in the winter storm just to get out of your driveway...

Cheers from Norway.

B4x4.no

Skrewball

Observer
don't bother with lockers.

**Not hating on your rig, at all!!!*** A liberty is not a good vehicle for building like that. you just have to replace everything to get halfway to what a stock vehicle in a different platform is. By the time you have your liberty built as far as it reasonably can be built, you will have realized you are into things either more serious or less serious, and then have a truck that doesn't fit your needs.

Here is how i see it, you have a winch bar on the front already. If you don't have a winch, invest in a GOOD winch. It will be great "insurance" for your more advanced endeavors. I understand that in your area trees may not be as common as other places, but there are good products that will work with a winch for your needs.

Demon4x4

I completely disagree. Lockers are the single best modification you can get. The platform that you start off with means little to nothing. It's all about how much you are willing to put into it to get it to where you want it. Some things will be easier to get to certain points of capability, but any platform can get you there if you are willing to put the work in. If you have lockers, you won't need the winch nearly as much. That being said, I think both are needed.

I've found that without lockers your not as likely to get into situations that require a winch. With lockers once your good and stuck you'd better have a friend, a winch, or both. If you don't have those get a good pair of LPC's to go along with the new lockers. That being said there is no modification that enhances your vehicle more than a locker whether it be a drag car or 4x4.

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
If I only had unlimited funds, I'd do it all to this KJ. And get a JKUR and do that one too, with a teardrop behind it. Stupid bills...

OMG ****** is LPC?

So are you a cheerleader or something? You know what OMG & ****** means but can't use Google to figure out what a pair of LPC's are? I'll tell you just give me a minute to finish laughing

Wait still not finished

You really wanted to know didn't you?

Ok I'll tell you

Leather Personnel Carrier's. AKA Boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles