IRPL meeting with Joe Ruby, KC7GHT - a fellow wheeler and Ham radio expert.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
To kick off the Expedtion Portal Ham Radio Net, Joe has agreed to meet with us via IRLP to explain IRLP and it's use in our application.

Biography of Joe Ruby, KC7GHT

Design of the read/write system for the “Piggyback Twister Memory Store” at Bell Telephone Laboratories – This was the beginning of the electronic systems used in the phone system central offices.

Design of high-resolution side looking radar system used for selection of production radar design parameters at Goodyear Aerospace.

Design of production Air Data test equipment capable of providing Pitot and Static pressures with an accuracy of 3 feet of altitude, a pressure control resolution of 1 inch of air pressure at sea level, as well as simultaneous precision (1% accuracy) altitude and airspeed rates of up to 40,000 feet per minute and 500 knots per minute. Sperry Flight Systems.

Design of magnetic deflections systems for aircraft CRT displays including the F-15 Eagle aircraft. Sperry Flight Systems.

Design of the LCD Liquid Crystal Display backlight system for the TCAS (aircraft Traffic Collision Avoidance System). Honeywell.

Design of the LCD display backlight system for the new Boeing 777 aircraft.
Seven Patents released with one additional patent pending. Honeywell.

Hobbies include Ham Radio, GPS trail finding, Jeeping, exploring the “outback”, digital photography, and climbing the 14,000-foot mountains in Colorado.

More info:

http://wb7tjd.org/irlp/

I spoke with Joe this morning at 5:30 AM via one of his four his remote base setups. He was hiking on Shaw Butte near Phx (in the dark with a flash light in one hand and an HT in the other, and had just finished his morning net with freinds in Adelaide, Australia) and was using an HT to access his base which then hooked into a repeater on Mingus Mt. The system in his Jeep uses CQ100 protocol and a laptop w/ a wifi card to do the same thing. Earlier this summer I spoke with Joe while he was wheelin' in the San Juans above Silverton. Again he was hooking into his remote base in Phx and then up to Mingus Mt.

Joe is not available on Tue evenings due to other commitments (Tue looks to be the chosen Expo Net night).

This will be a directed net using the Expo Net script and protocols.

With Tuesday not available for Joe, how about a Wednesday at 7:00 PM PDST?

He'd like a list of names and call signs of those participating so he doesn't have to try and write them down while answering questions.

Mark

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
if we are talking 9/26 wed at 7pm PDT which should be the same as 7pm arizona time I will be at work but I think I can sneak away for 30min with my handheld or sit in the truck & eat dinner and be on the air...
Thanks so much mark for setting this up...sorry eveyone I missed the last sat net but I had been up 27 hrs and fell asleep on the sofa waiting for 9pm....kinda too ashamed to admit it till now :)
Glad to see this has a life of its own,

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Lance, we haven't set a date yet - trying to find a good one for members.

What day/time works best for folks?

dbregman

Observer
I am planning on attending - depending on the date when finalized.

Northern California
K6DWB (by then)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior