Any aluminum framed trailers?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
If you want to put together your own off-road camp trailer by starting with a heavy-duty aluminum-framed and -boxed trailer, you might look into what Varozza 4x4 Outfitters custom builds to your spec.

trailer-website.JPG

My buddy just bought one with a sealed, hinged lid upon which we're mounting an ARB rooftop tent. He went with this aluminum trailer because at 350lbs, it's a lot easier to tow behind his Samurai than the comparable 800lbs steel trailers. I'm impressed with the build quality. Can't wait to see it out on the trails!

CamperWagon

My new trailer

Here is my new CamperWagon Trailer.
We just came back from camping in Missouri
at St. Francios, Washington State, and Johnson Shut-Ins state parks.
Elephant Rocks State Park was very beautiful, as usual this time of year.

Attachments

• Photo0482.jpg
    Photo0482.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 64

bob

Adventurer
Almost all of the large trailer manufacturers use aluminum frames. Bolted to steel chasis, have been for years. Every motor home is done that way again for many years. Most use a honey comb foam with fiberglass on the outside, one sheet of luan, 1.5 inch foam and another luan covered with material. Walls are built in sheets, windows framed and routered out. Only the nose cones and rear entry have wood, and it is not for structureal strenght only cosmetic attachment. Wood cabinets are attached to sheets of plywood laminated in the foam.

I am actually looking at doing the upper walls with my trailer. Contact Eclipse RV Manufacturing, and speak with Chris Morris, he will give you the full run down is my guess.

The one thing with aluminum is that it does not flex, very rigid. something close to compare is a motocross motorcycle. Frame warranties on them are very short, and never over one year. A true motocrosser is undboubtalby harder on it than we would be on our trailers, but very doubtful a full alluminum framed off road trailer would survive any where near as long as a steel framed trailer

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
As of 1996 when I visited one of their mfg plants on a school of Engineering & Manufacturing tour Fleetwood used steel to frame their Class A and Class C RV walls, not aluminum.

As any Series Rover owner can relate, bolting aluminum to steel creates a corrosive battery unless steps are taken to electrically isolate them.

Modulus of Elasticity is a uniform measure of the stiffness of a material. The Modulus of Elasticity for 6061 T6 aluminum is 10,000 ksi. The Modulus of Elasticity for 1018 mild steel is 29,700 ksi. Aluminum is 1/3 as stiff as steel. Claims that it is very rigid when referenced to steel are balderdash!

bob

Adventurer
Steel tubing flexes, Aluminum does not, it fractures under heavy stress. I agree totally it is not as strong as steel and would only use it in the upper walls for a serious off road trailer. The twisting and torque would destroy the frame, the advantage of box tubing frames is that they twist and resume their original form.

I just spoke with a major manufacturer, they state they have been using the foam/aluminum walls since 1999, but most did not start until mid 2004. Motor homes began in 1996. Walls are isolated from the steel frame with as little as 1/8th inch spacer.

I say this as I am researching building my walls this way. Raises the price of the trailer, but makes it considerably lighter. I ordered a set and will build a trailer using this in the near future. But it will need at least 6 months of off road testing before I move to it. RV's and Travel trailers never see the abuse we put these things through.

Also the trailers listed in the post above, are using Dexter Torflex axles, description is listed in specifications under suspension.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
With aluminum being ~1/3 as stiff as steel I fail to understand your statement "Steel tubing flexes, Aluminum does not,...". My only conclusion is that you are confusing strength with stiffness. They are not the same thing. Aluminum can and does flex. There is a famous video of none other than Boeing test flexing the aluminum wing of a 767 or 777, which clearly shows the wing flexing to a massive degree. One need only try to bend a piece of aluminum to prove to one self that it can and does flex.

That said, aluminum's fatigue life, that is how many times it can flex to a particular stress level without failing, is far, far shorter than is the fatigue life of mild steel at the same stress level.

There is no magic to box tubing of any metal. You are confusing many properties of metals and re-combining them in ways that make no sense. There is stiffness to be had in geometry of the correct shape and size for the stresses encountered, but box tubing is not able to adjust the inherent properties of any given metal to suit your desires.

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
For aluminum to be strong it requires numerous points of welding, with steel the span is much greater normally. On a trailer that is only 8 foot long with tongue it becomes a very rigid platform due to cross members and the like. With steel tubing you can spread those cross members out allowing it to roll and flex as it traverses obstacles. The aluminum built trailers are more massive in the amounts of cross members bracing than a steel trailer normally, or at least the ones that I have seen, Featherlite in Oklahoma for example. I would assume scientifically you are correct, but actual use in a like sport has proven the opposite. Frame life time on off road motorcycles at the top level is normally 4 to 5 races, due to frame fatigue, mountain bike manufacturers normally do not have more than a year warranty on the frames some as little as 60 days. There are reasons for that. I am sure you can overbuild the frame to last, but by then the weight and the cost are of conern.

Now as you have stated it might be due to the number of flexing motions on these products.

I have seen many motorcycle frames break and mountian bikes. And honestly most have had the heck ridden out of them. In the bicycle industry in the past mild steel was a favorite due to price and ride, titainium has surpassed the mild steel, and carbon fiber is taking over on road bikes, mountian still uses aluminum due to the weight, titainium offers the best ride due to its ability to asbord impact for some reason, or at least that is the feelin get while riding one.

I just do not feel that a aluminum framed trailer on our level would survive if used regurlarly. I think the upper walls can, but there is a possibility that they won't, that is the reason I am physically testing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles