Any aluminum framed trailers?

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I was looking at the Bushtracker trailer in Australia. The main difference is that its alumn framed and riveted/welded together. It does have some sweet suspension as well.

B_Built_Pic%20002%20(Outback%20tourer).jpg

Does anyone know of any campers or hybrids that had the same build quality in the foundation here in the US? I know that the suspension will have to all be redone, as that was never done here, but I dont want to put nice suspension on a camper that has a stapled wood frame to begin with.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Haul tent makes a small trailer with an aluminum chassis and many horse trailers utilize aluminum chassis.

The main drawbacks I see are the cost of aluminum vs. steel and the difficulty of welding aluminum. To avoid welding most manufacturers prefer to bolt aluminum components together.

Field repair is also problematic as you need a TIG welder, and then performing a clean weld that doesn't crack is a skill within itself.

The advantages of aluminum are; it weighs 1/3 the weight of steel and a thin oxidizing coat forms on the surface that prohibits corrosion.

Possibly a steel chassis for strength and reparability with an aluminum structure and skin for the body would be better?? You would have to isolate the steel and aluminum to stop them reacting, but you'd get the weight reduction.

Howard70

Adventurer
Aluma

Aluma makes well built aluminum trailers of various styles (none are dedicated camping trailers as far as I know).

http://www.alumaklm.com/

We have modified an Aluma AE46 to use as a simple camping platform. The biggest disadvantage that I see is the use of torsion axles - not really suited for offroad use. If you're interested in their products you might contact them and see if they would built one with different suspension. When we ordered ours they did some custom modifications (increased clearance for increased wheel size).

The advantage of the trailer for us is light weight yet strong constuction, truly waterproof sealing box, and it tows like it isn't there. However, we tend to use our M416 when taking long off road trips and the Aluma AE46 when taking highway/gravel road trips.

I've attached some photos.

Howard L. Snell

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
Holy~Macaroni,

Did you happen to see the price posted on the Bushtracker website.....

COST? For example and expedition grade 16’ tandem starts at $63,500. Call or e-mail us for prices on other sizes. And we include thousands of dollars in extras in our Standard Inclusions that the others will charge you for.

63,500.00 AUD = 54,776.77 USD

Don't get me wrong, I support Australia more than most, I would spend my money there before anywhere else but this is a chunk of change! The rig looks sweet but wow thats some coin!

I'm very impressed with the rear approach angle though, and those windows look different from ours?

bushtracker.jpg

bushtracker1.jpg

Last edited:

Martyn

I think well built products are expensive, but right now the US$ is at an all time low against foreign currency;
1USD = 1 Canadian
1USD = 0.7 Euro
1 USD = 0.5 UK
1 USD = 1.16 AUS

It is however great for US exports. We are getting flooded with inquires from Europe, Japan, and The UAE right now.

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
Martyn said:
I think well built products are expensive.

I agree Martyn without a doubt, you mostly get what you pay for.

Can you build me one with the Aussie flag on top? If so where do I send my money! :wings:

Martyn

Desertoutpost said:
I agree Martyn without a doubt, you mostly get what you pay for.

Can you build me one with the Aussie flag on top? If so where do I send my money! :wings:

We can do that so long as you pay us in Zimbabwe Dollars :)

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
You know pm me in a couple of days but I'm in the boat hobby also and there are some sweet alum boat trailers out there, wonder if the company could make you a small square one? I know on the bigger boat trailers they use nice thick I beam alum. I will work on it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
MIG welding of aluminum is common on aluminum hulled boats. Think Rogue River type boats. They use Spool guns for that type of construction. Absolutely no reason that it can't be done on a box trailer frame too.

That being said, I built a bicycle trailer for hauling exactly 3 brown paper bags of groceries when I was a college student. Even at that size the difference in cost over steel was substantial, and the small difference in weight made it really hard to justify using aluminum. Adding in aluminum's fatigue life made steel an easy call.

Just b/c they make 1"x1"x0.188" wall doesn't mean you have to use it. There are probably many places in a trailer box frame where .080" wall would be overkill and 0.065" wall would be perfectly suitable.

I know that Fleetwood builds their Class A's and C's using 1x1 steel as the framing in their exterior walls. They then bond on the exterior skin, run any plumbing & electrical (what PITA to work on), fill in the openings btwn the frame tubes w/ 1" styrofoam insulation, and then bond on the interior wall skin. After that a router plunges the window openings.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I was actually looking for a more traditional camper, as like in my first post, that is built with alumn frame and not wood and staples. So is there an actual travel trailer company out there that brags they build their trailers with alumn supports instead of wood?

MikeR

You guys might want to take a closer look at the Haul Tent trailers. I just looked at them at the factory yesterday and they are indeed a bulletproof rig. No wood, no screws, rock solid welded aluminum and what few bolts there are, are stainless steel. Even the drawers inside are welded box alum. with locking latches. This is a well thought out, durable rig that can carry another 2000# over it's own weight. The top will carry whatever you can tie on it. Quads, boats or whatever. I don't think you could hurt this rig if you tried.

It won't be as capable in extreme off roading as my AT was, that I just sold. But it will be alot more comfortable when I arrive.

I was impressed enough to order one on the spot. Gotta wait about 3 weeks to get it, then out in the bush with it! Worth a hard look!

http://www.haultent.com/index.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94