Critique my first aid kits

FJOE

Regular Dude
Training.
Training.
Training.

Then go for a hike, run, or some sprints. Get your buddies together, and practice taking BP's. Learn how to get vitals, and "Expose the patient". Do things by headlamp, in the dark. Practice enough so you know where everything is in the dark, and so you can throw it to a friend and be able to describe where items are.

PPE-
Glasses (I am usually wearing shades)
Mask
GLOVES
Hand sanitizer

Trauma-
TQ's and occlusive dressings
28fr NPA's and lube

Medical Emergencies-
Chewable Aspirin and Benadryl
Epi Auto Injectors
Tube of cake frosting, or jelly packets from the diner
Oral rehydration solution (you can make your own or buy)

Minor Stuff-
Gauze, guaze and more guaze
Tape
Band aids
Steri-Strips

Training. Please get some training. Everyone wants to be able to tell friends about how they can suture in the field. Reality? Its sucks, wastes time, and cuts deep enough require layers of sutures that most people wouldnt recognize. Keep it clean, pack it with gauze, dress it and monitor the patient.

I carry WAY more than what is on this list, but I have the training and experience to use it. I agree with several posters in this sub-forum specifically, that say don't go online and buy the "Tactical IFAK" or whatever off some zombie prep website, just because everyone else is doing it. You poke around someone's chest with a 14ga needle and poke something you shouldn't, and you are in big trouble. Likewise, the standard IFAK is meant to treat you, not someone else. Besides, it only has enough supplies for one patient.

Get some sort of personal or professional liability insurance.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
To get this back on track, and topic...

I think you did the right thing in all of the scenarios you were subjected to! That is what first aid is all about, and why I am assembling(again) my personal, vehicle, and home kits. Imagine if that larger blister infected, because they did not lance it at the first sign of infection? What if that gal had lost both feet because of not performing such a simple task?

Also, moleskin is way better than duct tape!

I wouldn't bother with the antibiotic ointment, only really useful for treating otitis externa (swimmer's ear). And that can be dangerous as it's ototoxic if the tympanic membrane is ruptured. Forget the ET tubes unless you like smashing teeth, and get some tourniquets. An ambu bag would be better than the facemask. Also get some Ibuprofen, great for inflammation, pain, and fevers.

justbecause

perpetually lost
white light will dilate your pupils , making it harder to see without the light. So if you, or someone else, is giving first aid and using the only light and one must leave the light and get something/do something etc, it will be that much harder.

Red, Green, and Blue lights will not have the same affect. Red lights though make it harder to see blood. Blue light illuminates blood. I havnt seen what a green light does to blood and google let me down...

I am a WFA instructor, my first aid kit has a lot of things to manage bleeding. (I use a chainsaw a lot) I have an irrigation syringe. a box of gloves. CPR mask. SAM splint. more bandaids, 4x4s, roller gauze, ace bandage, pack of q-tips, benadryl, Tylenol, aspirin, Imodium, tums. two types of scissors, sunscreen and bug spray, afterbite and a cold pack.

my bag is a medstorm curaplex from amazon, orange. it is 1 year old now and shows minimal wear, just a little dirt and a couple of stains.

justbecause

perpetually lost
page 79 American Red Cross Emergency Reference Guide Wilderness and Remote First Aid, Wound Cleaning section

"DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol or tincture of iodine, as these can further damage tissue."

Arclight

SAR guy
I think folks need to back up and evaluate what they are expecting to use their first aid stuff for. If it's "trauma from a motorcycle racing accident" then I would pack a C-collar, more splinting material and similar items. If it's "extended camping with my family," then you should still have some 4x4s, roller gauze, cravats and PPE. But you also need to think about comfort items and treating minor problems before they become major. For me, this includes:

-Quality cloth band-aids
-A 50cc irrigation syringe for cleaning wounds
-A small bottle of Povidine Iodine
-Drugs, including
a. Ibuprofen (Pain/fever relief)
b. Children's Tylenol liquid (Similar, for the kid)
c. Imodium (Diarrhea)
d. Pepto Bismol tablets (vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach)
e. Benadryl (Antihistamine, sleep aid)

If I'm doing high-altitude stuff, I also like to have an Albuterol inhaler. I also have a prescription for pain meds that I may carry if I'm going to be far into the backcountry where an evac would be prolonged, and Cipro, which is the "big hammer" for certain traveler's diarrhea. I also like to have Gatorade concentrate or similar available for rehydration.

Notice how digestive issues have been mentioned 3 times? Not only is your comfort at stake, but your ability to remain functional and get back depends on your ability to keep fluids on-board.

Beyond this, you might want to pack items a doctor would use to treat you if you'll be doing something like "6 months as a missionary in Mongolia." While I would ditch all of the suturing and similar supplies normally, it might make sense to have your own cache of clean sharps if you expect to be treated in an austere environment at some point. Competent doctors are often in better supply than equipment.

Arclight

Greatest_Dane

Observer
I would recommend going to see a doctor that does travel medicine and get some additional basic perscription medications. I.E. zofran for nausea/vomiting and antibiotics ciprofloxacin and doxycycline for GI/parasitic infections. They can also consul you on various diseases endemic in the area you are traveling to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles