My "new" hunting rig, 1993 Toyota pickup

huntsonora

Explorer
I will have pictures up asap but I have been on the search for a little Toyota truck that I could use for hunting and take to Mexico for my hunting season down there as well. I was torn between a Suzuki Samurai which I have wanted for years and a little Toyota regular cab short box truck. In the end I went with the truck as it was a one owner Arizona truck and has 147,000 well maintained miles on it. I got what I feel was a really good deal so I drove down from Colorado last week to pick it up. I left my house in Windsor CO at 4pm last friday, picked it up around 1pm in Mesa on Saturday and was back in northern CO in time for my shift at the fire station at 6pm on Sunday. I was BEAT!

Plans for now are to just fix the oil pan gasket leak, change all the fluids, put some new tires on it and drive it this season to find out if there are any unknown issues before I head to Mexico for 6 weeks. If anybody has any suggestions on suspension or anything else please chime in

Drummond

huntsonora

Explorer
Pictures I was emailed when I had posted an ad wanting a Toyota with a 22RE engine

4117d350.jpg

ef8db82c.jpg

6adf9ee6.jpg

2416c3ca.jpg

18b001d3.jpg

f6f7dfb7.jpg

a7528c2f.jpg

Expedition Leader
The 22RE is one of the best engines Toyota has ever made. It only has one real weakness - the timing chain guides were made of plastic and after 100,000 miles or so they frequently become brittle and break, which leaves enough slack in the timing chain for it to eventually saw through the timing chest into a coolant gallery. The permanent fix is to replace them with (lifetime warranty) metal timing chain guides from DOA Racing Engines: http://www.doaracingengines.com/page13/page13.html In any event, if you don't know for sure that the guides have been replaced, now would be the time to R&R with a full timing set before you go to Mexico.

huntsonora

Explorer
So I got my buddies to help me out and we started in on the ARB...

f69811d9.jpg

72f6d885.jpg

All done...

58673c50.jpg

Next up I decided to clean up the little bit of oxidation on the paint. Phoenix can be BRUTAL on a paint job

0aaf9135.jpg

0d20d195.jpg

910055b8.jpg

d5edde2f.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
The 22RE is one of the best engines Toyota has ever made. It only has one real weakness - the timing chain guides were made of plastic and after 100,000 miles or so they frequently become brittle and break, which leaves enough slack in the timing chain for it to eventually saw through the timing chest into a coolant gallery. The permanent fix is to replace them with (lifetime warranty) metal timing chain guides from DOA Racing Engines: http://www.doaracingengines.com/page13/page13.html In any event, if you don't know for sure that the guides have been replaced, now would be the time to R&R with a full timing set before you go to Mexico.

Metal timing chain guides are definately on the short list of things I am going to proactively replace

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Congrats on the buy. I had a 93 long bed 4x4. It was a great truck. As far suspension I think figuring out a ball park budget and what you intend to drive on is key. truck looks good!

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
The bumper looks great on there. Keep us updated on the build.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Metal timing chain guides are definately on the short list of things I am going to proactively replace
I'm not a fan of DOA guides. I never heard back from them about my lifetime warranty, either.

My set after 45,000 miles.

22re_010.jpg
22re_011.jpg

22re_013.jpg

My original OEM guides were fine at 125K (still have them too) but I replaced them following the Internet wisdom of plastic = junk, metal = awesome. I went back to the Mother Ship, the OEM set I put in during the rebuild have gone 60K already.

Toyota used to use metal guides with the 20R and its double row (some 22R guides are 20R guides that have been machined down). Toyota does not change things randomly. I think when they went to a single row chain they designed the guides to absorb some vibration (metal guides are noticeably noisier) and be the part that breaks first (single row chains definitely need replacement much sooner), the fuse it you will. The original parts rarely disintegrate all at once, but rather fracture, giving you time to fix them. You do your valve lash adjustments when the book says, right?

If you follow the recommended intervals WITH OEM PARTS, the guides are not a problem. That's critical IMVHO, since aftermarket guides and tensioners are generally what fail early. Use Toyota boxed or OSK guides and tensioner only. The parts will be made in Japan and Japan only, otherwise you not getting the correct ones. I cannot stress the importance of this, especially with the tensioner.

Not to mention the rubber on these guides was already hard and cracked, which is part of the reason I think they fatigued and broke. There was nothing damping the vibrations. If you do really want metal backed guides, I'd only consider the double row conversion, again using factory parts only.

Expedition Leader
Hmmm... my experience was just about 180 degrees from yours Dave; original factory guides broke and the chain sawed through my timing cover, no notice or warning and the engine continued to run great until the coolant and crankcase oil mixed. And I kept my valves adjusted too. My D.O.A. guides lasted at least 100,000 miles, after which I sold that truck. Put the D.O.A. guides in Ross's truck too when he did his top-end re-build. (shrug). You may be right; I am a big believer in OEM Toyota/Aisin/Denso parts probably 99% of the time.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I should be clear, that I have two issues.

One is the tensioner I used was not OSK (it came with the DOA timing kit). It is paramount that the tensioner work smoothly and reliably (particularly at start-up) otherwise nothing will last long in this application. And not just OSK (or Toyota), but OSK that is made in Japan and has the hardened chrome finish on the piston.

Second was that I never heard back from DOA about addressing my guides.

So metal guides might be fine in concept but my experience with them was terrible. I had less warning on impending failure than had the guides just crumbled into the oil pan and let the chain slap the timing cover. At least in that case you have a couple of minutes to shut it down. My failure was instantaneous in the middle of an intersection and resulted in piston/valve interference since the snapped piece wrapped around with the chain and lodged onto the crank gear. It burst open the chain. It actually was D.O.A. :)

22re_008.jpg
whythetruckstoppedrunning_1.jpg

Which is another reason I believe the nylon guides are not all bad, even if their failure is complete and get just a minute's warning you won't get engine seizure right away. Mixed coolant and oil will of course eventually ruin the engine. You get warning, rattling, drop in oil pressure, overheating, at least something. And in most cases you can drain the fluids, replace the timing cover and timing parts and get the engine going again. I think double row chains and metal guides are fine, but I truly believe the design Toyota used for the single row is a necessary compromise. The 3RZ guides are also nylon, although the design is different and more robust.

The reason I mentioned checking valve lash is with the valve cover off it's pretty easy to inspect the driver's side guide for cracks and signs of failure. The little guide ears on the OEM parts will usually break first and when that occurs you know you are on borrowed time.

huntsonora

Explorer
Well, what I thought was an oil pan gasket leak is actually a timing cover leak so it will be off tomorrow and the timing chain and guides will be checked. I'm praying that the guides are still in one piece so I don't have to also drop the oil pan. Regardless, I am left with a decision to "upgrade" to metal guides or not. I was sold on making the change until I saw Dave's post about his experience. Time to do a little research I guess

Drum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior