New F150 SCREW Ecoboost owner

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
To me,the F-150's need a leveling kit and at least one size up on the tires. Like all gassers,I imagine that would kill its fuel economy.
The suckers in stock form do scoot on the freeway though. That's probably what I'd buy in a 1/2 ton.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Unfortunately here in California it is a different story. Every dealership that I visited when truck shopping would not even entertain the idea of haggling over price on a Raptor. They all said, "The price is the price." Oh and some of them had cool little $2000 dealer mark up stickers (above MSRP) as well. Too bad they don't make an eco boost Raptor, that would be pretty sweet.

Then I'd walk off the lot. Other states aren't exactly hard to drive to, and finding a friend willing to drive a brand new Raptor 13 hours, isn't exactly hard to find either. The dealer loses nothing by giving you a good deal. They can order a dozen more Raptors the very next week without breaking a sweat.

Why would you want an Eco Raptor? The 6.2L is even more better! And still gets OK fuel mileage. The ECO is purpose built to be a good light duty engine with good rip on the occasion you need it, the 6.2 is a heavier duty engine with slightly higher than normal output for the Raptors light duty needs and should really be a superior engine if you choose to drive like a knucklehead more often.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Trust me I did walk off the lot. The reason I liked the eco-boost motor was because I do alot of driving at high elevation up in the mountains. N/A motors suffer really bad up there. You end up loosing almost 40% of your power output. Thats one of the reasons I ended up with a turbo diesel engine in my 2500 Dodge.

78Bronco

Explorer
If you intend to combat snow and ice you best be ditching the Perelli tires.

Our 2010 will haul all day, great trucks.

3 DOGS

Observer
JSH.jpgJSH3.jpgJSH4.jpgJSH5.jpg

I have no idea how to attach pictures so let's see if this works.
As for gas mileage this week - not too hot but I'M the one to blame. From Omaha to Des Moines it's hilly but by no means is it anything crazy and I did have the hammer down so...........I ended up with my mileage between 14.8 and 15.1
Now this is with 3.73 gears AND and average speed of 80-85 and even 90 at times. Yes I was speeding, no I didn't get caught and no I wasn't running cars off the road. It was wide open and very little traffic.
So although I wasn't thrilled with the mileage I know I am to blame. I must say the engine ran smooth as silk! No stress, downshifting/upshifting, QUIET, roomy, comfy (especially with COOLED seats) and when I decided to punch it (just to see) it took off like a rocket!! I am VERY impressed with this truck so far.
I had an H3 which I absolutely loved but the 3.7 left a lot to be desired and the 5.3 was pretty noisey (only experience was test driving the 5.3). I've had a Tacoma that had the same loud engine issues when accelerating and it wasn't roomy at all. Before that I had a Silverado that was very nice but it definitely didn't have the power the Eco has. I would say the Eco is running a close second to my favorite vehicle (the H3 - I really enjoyed everything BUT the engine). I'm sure in due time the Eco will probably take over as my favorite.
I do plan on another road trip - this time with driving a little more reasonable 70-75 (speed limit) and seeing what I end up with. Hopefully I can get closer to 18-19 rather than the solid 15 I was getting.
Back in town I'm at 15.2 and had achieved a best 16.2 before leaving last Sunday.
As for the gas tank size - it's a 36 gallon which I believe Ford switched to this year for the FX for sure - not sure about the other models. It is nice to look down and see I can make it across Nebraska on one tank of gas compared to my H3 which had a small tank and gas mileage of 13-15 on the highway (until I got to Colorado and I actually averaged 19-20!!!! Gotta love altitude and "better" gas.)

I plan on the following changes immediately:

Line X the bed (getting done Monday)
Fiberglass Leer topper
2" leveling kit
34" BFG AT or Goodyear Dura Tracs (I miss my Hercules Terra Trac AT's. Great tires but they don't come in 20". The 20's where on the truck otherwise I probably would have gotten the 18's)
CAI - Volant probably

After this I don't know - only time and money will tell.
I wanted to point out the Custom Billet Works - billet grill I put in the HUGE gaping hole in front of the inter-cooler. Now after reading posts on a different site and seeing a rock puncture the inter-cooler I decided to put this on. Apparently Ford thinks that it should be a wide open rock or small animal catcher as opposed to putting something like I did in there.
Now I've heard the "it's gotta be open so the engine can breath" crap from the dealer and on other sites BUT I have seen NO changes in temp or performance. I mean I'm sure it can get a little hot (it's been 95+ for the last month here) if one is towing but don't ALL engines run a little hotter when towing?? Plus it's liquid cooled not air cooled so that negates the theory too - right?? I'll admit my ignorance to how everything works but logic tells me that Ford my have made a mistake and now doesn't want to admit it and have to pay for some sort of grill insert.
I just wonder how the Ulitmate Adventure from Peterson's Off Road magazine truck did as far as having the opening blocked and going through mud and everything else? The few bits I've read seem to make it sound like there were no issues with over heating or anything - but I didn't read everything on the build. If anyone knows more on the UA truck or more importantly the grill insert please speak up. I'm open to listening and learning - the more I know the better off I and my truck will be.
Hope the pics show up - if not someone will have to yell at me and tell me how to do it.

Last edited:

Wallache

Observer
Bumping up an older thread :sombrero:. Any Ecoboost owners care to share their long term experience in an F150?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles