Which size Hi-Lift to buy....does size matter?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Most of my uses with the hi-lift have been to get the frame up of something or to shift the rear\front end sideways, not to simply lift a wheel. The wheel attachment doesn't work on my truck anyway. That's what the simple bottle jack is for.

762X39

Explorer
If you have something bigger than a Jeep, the 48" is the way to go. If you have something small like a Jeep, the 60" can be used but really, there are better ways to go. I have a 48" Jackall (Canadian interpretation of the Hi-lift) that has been in use for the last 20 or so years on my Niva, my F150 and my Unimog. The jack can be amazingly dangerous which is why I think the 48" is your safest bet. If it is not tall enough, there is something seriously wrong with your strategy (a ratchet strap can limit suspension travel for almost no effort).:coffee:

82fb

Adventurer
I have seen a guy (drunk) almost lose his nose on the upswing of the handle. Lots of blood, but I think he was gonna be fine... I found out by accident that using a heavier gauge steel for the handle prevents it from swinging wildly on descent. Forget the size right now, but I think 1 inch black pipe is about twice as thick as the stock handle and works great. Length you need depends on the truck. My brothers k5 on 40's must have a 60 inch jack in almost every situation, but you can carry a few 10x10x4 wood blocks to stack if needed.

drgnhrt1979

Adventurer
All good info to chew on... when I had my Jeep, I was gonna get the black 60" extream, glad I didnt now. Never did get a HiLift, but I will get me one with my next 4x4. I am still siding on the side of the 60" though. My reason is that I am not worried about space to store it, and I would rather have the longer one and not need it than to need it and not have it, causing me spend the money twice.

reds12t

Observer
I have the 60" Hi-Lift X-Treme, and while the extra length has come in handy a few times, it can be hard to find a space for it in/on the vehicle. I considered moving to a 48" jack to alleviate some of the storage difficulty, until I found a neat case called Jack Guard. It has helped my storge problems by allowing me to stack bags, camp chairs, or whatever on top of the case and still slide the jack in and out. I have found that it has enough space to include the winch-clamp-spreader attachment found on the X-Treme jacks, a Hi-Lift repair kit, and a few tools inside with the jack. While I don't store my jack outside of the vehicle, if you do, this case will help keep it clean and minimize the stuck/frozen mechanism problem mentioned earlier.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I believe the all cast is considered to be the better construction. Not sure if there is enough difference to really worry about it.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I have an old 48" that I packed out of an abandoned mine years ago. For my needs and the lack of capacity of my truck I would still buy a 48". I pick my present truck up with each wheel (either end) or the rear hitch. As stated earlier, lifting from the chassis can tax a 48" if the suspension is supple. From the wheel (and a jack stand) has worked well for me. Practice at home and you'll do much better out on the trail. You'll also find out what other tools/stands/wood ect....that are needed. It only took me about 15-20 minutes to change a tire out on the trail...practice.
Have fun,
Chas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94