anyone see these new water cans?

huskyfargo

Adventurer
Yep, I have them, and I like them. They're pretty solid. They do have to be stored up-right because they tend to leak a little if tilted down on their sides.

Stephen

We have a couple and they've been good. Tough construction, good spouts, real vents. The wide mouth of the mil spec can is nice for cleaning but otherwise the rhino does about the same for me. Not sure of the footprint, they're close to military size but it might depend on your carrier for the fit.

oldboyscout

Observer
I have other plastic Gerry Cans that at first glance look the same as metal, but they are wider at the bottom and are not the same as the metal ones. I'm wondering if these are like that.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I have three of these exact cans and love them. A couple of things....

1) They are rotomolded plastic and, like all rotomolded items, need a bit of trimming. Five minutes on the kitchen counter with a sharp knife and the extra material was trimmed away from the vent openings of all three cans, which is where they'll leak. I've run very rough terrain with them overfilled and stored on their sides. They DO NOT leak.

2) When upright they are exactly the same footprint and width as the 20-liter NATO cans I have for fuel, but they are a bit TALLER. I use the same 2-can rack that I built for the NATO cans. Note that they do bulge out when overfilled, but this is easily fine-tuned if needed. My NATO fuel cans fit my rack lying on their backs, but because the Rhino cans are taller, I have to stand them upright. See picture, below.

3) Yes, they are designed for interlocking and stack very nicely. When overfilled they don't really lock together that well because the sides bulge a fair amount. Still stackable, just not as well locked together.

I got them for a good price and find them very convenient. Here we had two of them on the roof where those NATO cans would go on trips to more remote areas; they fit the rack perfectly albeit standing up rather than lying on their backs. We had our girls with us so space was at a premium, as you can plainly tell!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I prefer these

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Water-Can-Gallon-Green/dp/B005E0V0Z0/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y

Much heavier milspec construction. I am sick of leaky water containers, these are well worth the extra cost IMO.

They are generally ~$10 right off of BuyLCI's website versus eBay. However if you go to their website they have a note "Due to system maintenance, certain items are temporarily unavailable for viewing (i.e. OD Green Water Cans - 600409, Desert Tan Water Can - 906396). These items can still be purchased by calling our customer service department at 1-877-524-4722.". Out of the thousands of items they carry, you can't look up the price of those right now? :eek:

Scepter Military Spec is the best IMHO

And especially as mentioned previous thread large mouth opening easier to clean. I prefer the 10L size for many reasons. They are more stable when put down on uneven ground, less likely to spill. Easy to carry, lift, put on roof rack,+ they maintain a lower overhead than a 20L even when it is placed on its side/edge. They can be presurized via the cap for camp shower(black ones are best for this camp shower job!) Scepter Mill Spec rarely, if ever leak even over many years of use. You can drop these and they will not crack (heck you can even run em over) they are tough cans. The correct size mounting racks are "easy to locate" and you can put the 10's and 20's and scepter MFC fuel containers in the same size mounts which is a big advantage if one trip is short stay but long distance ie more fuel or long stay but short distance ie more water you can mix and match depending on the circumstance. Parts are and will be easy to find long term. Scepter caps are connected to the neck with a built in heavy duty strap. Nothing worse than a lost or broken oddball sized impossible to find later cap rendering a container useless. Yes Scepter mill spec is not the cheapest out there, but well worth the money.+ they are food safe containers

Attachments

• IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member