How Do You Use Your Tent?

Adventurer
HI All,
Other than getting out of inclement weather, sleeping and changing clothes, how much time do you actually spend in your tent? Personally, the number would be close to zero. Therefore, I don't see a point of an expensive, large, ground or roof top, tent. I'll bet most of you are the same way. Have I got this wrong?

Granted, my camping is mostly in the desert where biting insects are not a problem usually. This may be a difference. You tell me.

Edit to add: I use a Tent Kot. It's not an arrangement where you would want to spend a lot of time. So, I don't unless I have to.

Sparky

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Depends on the climate. I've been on trips with tons of tent time as we escaped the weather. Others, the tent never gets deployed.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, I use my trailer tent to sleepin and my party tent to sleep/party/play/eat/ games-or escape into the jeep when bears are suspected-

PICT0121.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12020.jpg

Depends on the desert/Sierras-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Nomadllc

Born nomadic
...for staying dry and playing Uno while there's a monsoon going on outside!! Thank you North Face ;)

Attachments

• 0724121716.jpg
    0724121716.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 8

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Being disabled, I looked for a few qualities in my tent.

1: Easy set up/takedown

2: Enough room to change, play cards, etc. in inclement weather.

3: Comfort!

4: Keep the bugs out! Up here we have mosquito's the size of chickens! Not to mention the gnats, flies, wasps, etc.

I don't get around like I used to, and often tend to overdo it when out on the trail.

Therefore I tend to spend more time in the tent than most. (as much as I would rather be out hiking/exploring/fishing/etc.)

My first RTT served me well, and our new Mt. Rainier from CVT is even larger.

Well worth the investment for me, considering how much time I do spend in it.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Ours gets used as a site keeper/gear keeper/storm retreat. We are also a family so tent cots are out.

We had a very large Coleman tent that probably would continue to serve our purpose with the child, dogs and gear, but I also wanted something much quicker to put up and take down. I wanted a trailer to keep everything in as well. I went with the Mt Rainier RTT recently, and loved it on our first trip. I am betting I will love it more once it is mounted on the trailer.

I also have a Gander Mountain 4 man tent that is 16 years old and still works beautifully. This tends to be lent out, and used as a gear tent any more.

Frankly even I think what I paid for the RTT was ridiculous, but I am also banking on it lasting 20 years. If the $75 Gander Mountain tent can do it I would hope that RTT could do it.

Hello, my name is Kevin and I am a tentaholic.

I have:

A small 3-4 man tent for when my kids need their own space for my sanity.

A large Cabelas extreme weather tent that I bought used for $500 for our Spring/Summer/Early Fall backcountry trips

A 14' fold out Tent Trailer with the kitchen sink, shower, furnace, lights and soft beds for when the wife comes along.

A 12' Teepee for Mountain Man re enactments and cold weather camping when the whole family does not come

A 16x20 Canvas Outfitters tent for cold weather camping when it is myself and the family or several friends.

I have seen other tents that interested me and thought about picking up another 4 man tent for when we cannot find a large enough site.

Some say that I am too tents about my backcountry preparation needs :)

Last edited:

ColoDisco

Explorer
I have a 2 person old school eureka which I never use, a 2 room target special that never fits on a tent paddock, a 87 Starcraft basic pop up camper which I have rigged out with solar and some other goodies which we use as a base camp if we are going to explore one little area. But what I just added (CVT mt Shasta and awning) means camping wherever the truck stops on long Overlanding trips. Having this kind of gear so readily accessible is priceless.

4ddc8714.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I currently own 9 tents ranging from a vintage 2-man Springbar to a Coleman Cabin tent and a few Walrus brand tents, most of which never get used because we have our off-road tent trailer and an Appleby tent trailer that gets towed when staying on pavement. And given the fact that it never rains here we spend 90% of our time outside of them.

Cody1771

Explorer
i own 2 tents, a small MEC Tarn2 backpacking tent for the motorcycle, im a big guy and the Tarn1 didnt have enough space, and i have a massive 8 person tent with a full vestibule that i use when car camping, its nice to have a tent i can stand in when its pissing rain outside. it can also sleep 4 guys and all there gear very comfortably for winter camping.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Larger tent here with kids and dogs nice to have a chaning spot getready to go area etc...

brianwj

Observer
We have two tents now. A big three room family tent for the four if us plus the dog trips. It has a nice center room for storage and the dog its also good for getting out of really bad weather. I just picked up a four person backpacker tent for quick trips and a hammock for solo camping that I love. We try to spend as little time in the tents as possible so we always bring a tarp with us for cover that way we can stay outside unless the weather gets real nasty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior