1978 Ford Crew Cummins hunting rig

Higbean

Observer
I've been working on this truck for the last 10 months. Trying to get prepared for a few local hunts this year. I grabbed the topper for $150 and cut the doors down to fit. Planning on a platform for beds just above the wheel wells. Trying to decide which way to go for a hot shower. The Eccotemp would be nice because you don't have to run the noisy diesel and it could be used elsewhere. On the other hand, I have yet to hook up the heater so I could run lines all at once and use a plate heat exchanger. What would you folks suggest? I'm planning on an 18 gallon stainless tank where the mid ship fuel tank was for water so I'll run a Shurflo pump either way.

I'm going to build an awning, roof rack and drawer system eventually. I'd like to build a roller drawer system like the Weather Guard Pack Rat but that will be next year. Any way, here she is.
d26b00c2.jpg

0e161afd.jpg

8488dcd6.jpg

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
First of all, I want to let you know how jealous I am. That body style of crew cab has been my dream truck since I could remember things. My dad had an extended cab when I was super young that we called the Dinosaur, as it was an ex-forest service truck that was painted beautiful forest service green. Not to mention you have it powered by a great engine (Which cummins, BTW?), and have plans of it being set up the way a guy should have it for traversing hunting areas, and you sir are now my sworn enemy....;)

Secondly, when you say "mid ship" tank do you mean the front gas tank? If so, isn't that the larger capacity tank? Do you plan on moving it to the rear if you do move it so that you still have the max fuel capacity (if it is larger than the rear...)?

Continue updating us on the build!

Clutch

<---Pass
Awesome, my all time favorite truck.

I had a '76 regular cab, Jonesing to get another one.

Last edited:

fabjunkie

Observer
Nice start! The only Ford truck I would own (besides a '50 F1) and with my engine too. Definitely keep the thread going as you build.

Higbean

Observer
Details

1st gen cummins
A518 2wd trans
Divorced 205
Eastwoods sound deadener throughout
Tom Woods drive shafts
Champion radiator
Dual batteries
4" exhaust
1999 Powerstroke Intercooler
Hydro boost w/ disc brakes
3200 spring
Advanced timing
Fuel screw turned in a bit
Tuned for no smoke!!!
738d83f5.jpg

3af4a0ac.jpg

9d2e3f5f.jpg

motormountswelded015.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Awesome! By far my all time favorite body style of any pickup... Come to think of it I could say the same for the motor. Nothing beats a VE pump 5.9!

I guess you own my dream truck can't wait to see more :cool:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Looks like a nice clean install! Is the rear axle shot a disc conversion? Nice motor mounts too!

High_Country

Adventurer
Jealous is a good word. Maybe envious.

What a great, and UNIQUE vehicle. You won't see another one of those very often.

Question (a little off topic): What size tires and wheels are you running? Are those 315/75/16's or 35x12.50x17's? Something else?

Suspension? 4 inches perhaps? 6?

Looks great.

Oh, by the way, I think it was "Trucks" - that show on Spike TV, they put a 79 Ford crew cab dually on a 'late' model 5.9L Cummins / Ram chassis. Pretty neat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier