1978 Ford Crew Cummins hunting rig

Higbean

Observer
Awesome, as always! Love your truck. ...but I would love to see tall, skinny tires on it...:drool:

I would too! Just about given up on finding a pizza cutter. I don't want to buy $1,600(and up!) worth of tires that I can't replace on the road. My inner teenager says "go for it!", but my wise old *** tells me "don't be a ************ bag and buy tires just for looks!" Haha

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I would too! Just about given up on finding a pizza cutter. I don't want to buy $1,600(and up!) worth of tires that I can't replace on the road. My inner teenager says "go for it!", but my wise old *** tells me "don't be a ************ bag and buy tires just for looks!" Haha

What size are you looking for? and I hear you about replacements. I think my 33's would be somewhat easy to replace, but I wonder sometimes.

Higbean

Observer
What size are you looking for? and I hear you about replacements. I think my 33's would be somewhat easy to replace, but I wonder sometimes.

I'd love a 35x10.50 or even 9.50 but they just don't make anything unless you go Super Swampers, bias ply or 20" rim Continentals. I'll probably settle for 35x12.50 on 8" rims.

Higbean

Observer
315 75 r16 is 35x12.50 same as what I have on there. Not really a pizza cutter, but on a narrower rim I'm hoping they'll have the tall skinny look I want.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
On a Google search I found a mention in a Jeep forum that Toyo makes a 35x11x18 in AT and MT. If you're willing to go up in wheel size this could be an option, maybe? The tire size is 285/75R18 = 35x11.50

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
There's a square F-250/Cummins 12/v here in San Diego. My wife and I were returning from Borrego and I spotted the truck freighting down I-8 westbound and gaining on me.
As he passed you could hear the unmistakable rattle. He had the Cummins insignia on the front fender.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
On a Google search I found a mention in a Jeep forum that Toyo makes a 35x11x18 in AT and MT. If you're willing to go up in wheel size this could be an option, maybe? The tire size is 285/75R18 = 35x11.50

That's about as close as you can get, cooper might make a couple treads in that size also ?

285 75 R17 is 34x 11.2 as well, might not be tall enough though.

As was mentioned since you don't like the rims maybe look at 18" rims to put 285-75-18's I have them on mine and I really like the size.

Higbean

Observer
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been too busy to look into them but I will. My best friends grandpa has a white 75-76 highboy with tall, skinny radials on it and I'd really love to have that look with a modern tire. I can remember the locking hubs sticking out further than the rim! Not really wanting to replicate that, but I loved the look. I almost want to go to a 37" just for the effect. Dang it!!!

78Bronco

Explorer
Chasing bears.
7956b557-bcb6-49f5-b93d-f31d38558732_zpse86758c2.jpg

I love the nostalgic ford and diesel combined. The body style is my favorite for a full size truck. Great build!

What are the offset on the wheels? As it looks like the wheels are really skated out to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier