109 Expedition rig build

Mercedesrover

Explorer
ntsqd said:
Why no paint on the galv'd parts? The look (which I like), or is there an adhesion issue with galv?

There is a bit of an adhesion issue painting galvy stuff but it can be overcome. I did actually paint some of the galvanized stuff on the 88 but this truck I wanted to leave it as it's supposed to be. I don't mind the painted look either but some people really have an aversion to it.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Mercedesrover said:
body41.jpg

Looking really good!

Now that the roof is on, can we see a photo from the front? (And from the side, and another from the rear!)

kevb

Observer
Mercedesrover said:
The truck is a Series "IIA" which is supposed to have the lights in the radiator support (breakfast) only. Late Series "IIA"s and Series "III"s had headlights in the fenders (wings). The IIA fenders with no headlights are not easy to find and as I already had a set of III fenders I went this way. I also want this truck to look like the 88" which also has the headlights in this configuration. Most purists don't like this look but it has its advantages.
lab11.jpg

Surely even the most die hard purist would have to acknowledge the quality of this build! I am not normally a fan of this set up (maybe a result of seeing too many shoddy conversions here) but I do like what you are doing.

There is another quality ser11 build going on here....

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=18520

What is it with you North Americans and series trucks?:) :)

frans

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
It'll feel good in a couple of weeks when its done!

I bet it will! Like a new pair of boots, I bet you get a scratch in it real quick!

Could you tell me about the hinges on the rear door? I am wondering why the one at the top is different than the others. Is there a strength reason or what?

Mercedesrover

Explorer
frans said:
Could you tell me about the hinges on the rear door? I am wondering why the one at the top is different than the others. Is there a strength reason or what?

It's just longer because the edge of the door isn't straight. It curves in a bit at the top and as such needs a longer hinge.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Got the last of the paint work done last night. From here it's fitting the five doors and getting the latches, glass, door checks, etc. together. Getting close to the end here. I still need to fabricate some fender splash shields and do a final bleed on the brakes but I might just drive this home this weekend. We'll see....

body42.jpg

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Well, it's not quite done, but close enough to take a couple more pictures. The list of things to do is getting shorter by the day. I need to install the windows in the rear doors, bleed the brakes and make the splash shields for the four fender wells. Two more nights and I should be coming home.

done1a.jpg

done2a.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles