opintions on an older ambo, tranny, motor stuff

MTDewX8

Observer
So I found an 82 Ford ambo, that has a pathfinder converstion.
has a 460 which I am warming up to the size of motor and MPG I will suffer.
runs good, tranny shifts etc.

what my question is it has low gearing cause at 70 mph I am pushing just about 4k on the tack. so i am guessing 4.10 geaarrs but dont really know for sure. I plan want to be able to travel to AK and such. off roading to better spots, but not needed to rock climb or anything. family of 4 till the boys are too cool to go camping with us. lol

I want to be able to cruise faster than 55-60 on my travels.
Ideas were to change gearing (roughly 3k) or maybe do a tranny swap. it
has a C6 which from what I read is a good tranny, but a 3 speed.

so if I swap in the next gen (can't remember the name EO4?) that has a 4 speed, I think that will help my cruising speeds.

I have gotten two different stories about that tranny. one from a off road shop that suggested the swap over gears. and a tranny swap that said the E04 something tranny was only put behind small blocks.

so anyway, any advice and which way to go. I like the van, but dont want to get upside down so fast into the build. the wiring scars me a bit, but looking fwd to start building.

here is the link http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3129125047.html

I have driven it twice now and it drives good when I was on my visit to OR ( I live in MT so a fly and drive is in order). on battery power though as the alt is bad.

it is a lot of work, but I think is a good start for a traveling van.

thanks ahead of time.

MTDewX8

Observer
Yeah I agree, but I am in Montana, the van is in WA. will try though.
I was only out there for a limited time

CodyY

Explorer
Taller tires will help a bit, but for long term the best solution is an E4od or AOD tranny.

And put an alternator on it, you're not going far on "battery power"

r_w

Adventurer
You may be able to swap gears and/or axles with someone wanting to put Icelandic sized tires on a van.

I remember some of the old ambo rigs had stupid gear ratios--like 5.something. They flat haul 0-30 and then take about FOREVER to get to highway speed. They were specc'd to be city stop and GO machines.

rockbender

Adventurer
Definitely price out an E4OD swap - I don't think the AOD matches up to the bigblock. You will also need a stand alone electronic controller to work with the new tranny. It won't necessarily be cheap, but I think that the overdrive and lock up converter is what you will need to make the difference between just driveable and enjoyable.

MTDewX8

Observer
yeah the battery got us around the block and a quick trip down the free way. did'nt want to go to far.

also curious on other motors like the V10. what years are the better ones? ( I am still searching) and what years to avoid. I have read they are a good motor but certain ones have plug isses.
I found a 97 van NON 4wheel unfortantly with around 88k miles.
http://gobestauto.com/ViewDetails.aspx?VID=2135

I would prefer to get a newer rig if I can find and afford one.
and a diesel would be cool too.

http://gobestauto.com/ViewDetails.aspx?VID=2132

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
A properly built C-6 is a super tranny.

http://www.broaderperformance.com/en/10-ford-c6-

A mildly built 460 built for torque will pull money out of a banker's pocket. Here's a tip - order the timing gear set from a '69 Boss 429. It will advance the cam to where it should be, rather than have it retarded for smog laws.

Then, change the gears so you get decent rpms on the highway. You'll still be able to pull stumps in 1st and low-range.

It won't get good gas milage. 460's have a reputation: They get 10mpg no matter what. Downhill, uphill, dragging an aircraft carrier - 10mpg. If you should somehow get 12mpg - then you're a lucky dawg.

But figure what you'll save on not doing swaps, and you've got extra in the bank to cover the gas.

MTDewX8

Observer
Got a reply to a guy that was selling a quigley that had a 5.4. asked him what kind of mileage he was getting and he came back with 12mpg. I was surprised. makes me think why not get the V10 cause it will probably be around the same mileage with more power.

still deciding on the other one with the 460, and hinting on a sprinter, but I wont be able to afford a sprinter 4x4 and I have never driven. anyway shopping it getting old now. I Just want to find a van I want.

CLynn85

Explorer
Got a reply to a guy that was selling a quigley that had a 5.4. asked him what kind of mileage he was getting and he came back with 12mpg. I was surprised. makes me think why not get the V10 cause it will probably be around the same mileage with more power.

still deciding on the other one with the 460, and hinting on a sprinter, but I wont be able to afford a sprinter 4x4 and I have never driven. anyway shopping it getting old now. I Just want to find a van I want.

Wow, 12 seems really high for the V10, but maybe I'm a little skewed since all I've researched is class c/box truck bodies with the gassers. A friend has the v10 in his class c and gets 5-8mpg depending on driving conditions, which is why I opted for something with the 7.3.

MTDewX8

Observer
Wow, 12 seems really high for the V10, but maybe I'm a little skewed since all I've researched is class c/box truck bodies with the gassers. A friend has the v10 in his class c and gets 5-8mpg depending on driving conditions, which is why I opted for something with the 7.3.

sorry will specify before it gets off topic.

I contacted a guy selling a quigley that had the 5.4 motor that got 12 mpg.

I was guessing the V10 got around that if I was lucky. so the difference between the 5.4 and V10 is minimal (I think) and would rather have the V10 over the options of gassers. I want a 7.3 as a first choice though.

BCHauler

Adventurer
It really depends on your usage. My f250 crew 4x4 has the v10 and 4.30 gears. I average 10 mpg mixed and I drive like a grandmother. On highway trips maintaining 60 mph, I've had a best tank of 13.75 mpg. The one caveat I will offer is that where I live, nothing is flat so a little better is certainly possible.

The power is nice but the mileage really wears on you if it used for everyday driving. In all honesty, I would take a 5.4 over the v10 because an idling 8 uses less fuel in traffic than an idling 10. I'm not a big power guy though.

The other thing about fords modular motors (5.4, 6.8) is that they need higher revs for power. My 6.8 really likes 3-4000rpm when I'm towing or hauling (again mostly hills and mountains). Coming from older GM v8's, those high revs have taken some getting used to.

MTDewX8

Observer
thanks for all your input everybody.

at this point I am will probably take any motor as long as it has a 4 wheel drive. I was going to comprimise with a 2 wd. but got talked out of it from the other half as she knows me.
as soon as I get something I will wish I had 4x4. living in Montana kinda answers that part of the question.

thanks agian all for your time of reading my post and giving your opinions.

Cheers as the search still continues

MTDewX8

Observer
so I talked to the owner and I mentioned my concern of the RPM's at 70 mph. I saw 3900-4k.

he said its more like 2900 cause the tach is off. if the tach is off or hooked to the wrong part could this be possible?
everything ran fine, but just going on what I have seen.

so can a tach be hooked up wrong? to give a false reading?

I only ask cause I have never hooked up a tach and such

CodyY

Explorer
A tach has settings for 4/6/8 cyl. Either by a dial, dip switches, or snipping a wire or two. Some ignition systems require the 4 or 6 cyl setting even though they're 8 cyl. Possible, but you'd think they would've fixed that kinda crap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles