Lifted 4th gen 4runners: What are you running?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I know there are a few other 4th gen 4runners out there amidst the thousands of 3rd gens. :sombrero:

For those of you with a lift, what lift are you running and would you recommend it?

I don't like the "low rider" characteristic of the 4th gen and a few scrapes and dings on the Alpine Loop (a very mild 4wd road) have convinced me that I need a lift on my '07.

What I'd like is the smallest possible lift that will give me plenty of clearance for 32's (265/75/16s or 235/85/16s) and not result in too harsh or uncomfortable a ride.

My thinking now is to go with a either the Toytec FJC 3" lift, or the OME full suspension.

Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I note that the FJC lift is springs only, no shocks - I guess this one will work with stock shocks? And is that a good idea?

Whichever lift I get, I will get the "mildest" springs since I don't plan on putting a heavy bumper or winch (yet.)
My thought is that once I get the lift, if sometime down the road I want to add something heavy, I can then swap the heavier springs in but in the meantime, I don't want something that rides like a buckboard.

My inclination at this point is to bite the bullet and go with the OME full suspension. Even though it's almost twice as expensive as the FJC lift, it just seems to me I'd end up with a better overall ride and handling if I replace springs and shocks all at once (also given that shocks are a wear item and I'm sitting at 93k miles, they're probably close to being worn out already.)

Thoughts? I've seen a few lifted 4th gens around but never talked to the owners (they were always moving.) I don't want a monster lift, and I don't want something that's going to eat up suspension components or make my vehicle handle like a grocery cart.

Also, for a mild lift like mine, is the diff drop recommended? Seeing as how it's only a $30 part it seems like cheap insurance but I'm just wondering if there are other possible issues that could come up from having it. And what about a panhard bar extension - am I right in thinking it's not neccessary for a 2"-3" lift?

Thanks in advance!

oldblue

Martin-

I have a 2004 V6 4runner and I have run a couple of different suspension configurations on it.

For a while I ran the ICON kit and enjoyed it on the trails in CO. The one major issue that isn't always mentioned with lifting 4th gen 4runners is Caster. Lift it more than 2 inches in the front and you will have a great deal of difficulty getting good caster numbers. This will result in difficulty getting the vehicle to track straight on the highways when there are crosswinds or rutted/uneven pavement. I did not want to buy new upper control arms to remedy this issue so I ended up selling the ICON kit.

I am currently running FJ springs with Bilstein shocks. I find it to be an ideal compromise for on and offroad. I run 255/75 r17s which are right at 32" with ample clearance and the caster is set in the mid 3 range. While the springs themselves give you just around an inch of additional height the higher spring rate gives you more effective ground clearance when the trail gets rough. I can go pretty much anywhere I want in CO with the setup aside from the rockcrawler type terrain. If you opt for the FJ springs consider replacing your shocks at the same time as the OEM shocks are valved too softly for a higher spring rate.

daPitbull

Adventurer
Running the diff drop is not necessary. You'll also have minor issues putting you skid plate back on, you'll have to run a spacer plus longer bolts to mount it. I'm currently running Radflo coilovers (the ones Overland Warehouse used to sell).

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have icon and I like them much more than OME which I had for 50k miles prior. It rides so much better for me. Oh yeah, get new UCAs as well. I didn't know what I missing.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martin-

I have a 2004 V6 4runner and I have run a couple of different suspension configurations on it.

For a while I ran the ICON kit and enjoyed it on the trails in CO. The one major issue that isn't always mentioned with lifting 4th gen 4runners is Caster. Lift it more than 2 inches in the front and you will have a great deal of difficulty getting good caster numbers. This will result in difficulty getting the vehicle to track straight on the highways when there are crosswinds or rutted/uneven pavement. I did not want to buy new upper control arms to remedy this issue so I ended up selling the ICON kit.

I am currently running FJ springs with Bilstein shocks. I find it to be an ideal compromise for on and offroad. I run 255/75 r17s which are right at 32" with ample clearance and the caster is set in the mid 3 range. While the springs themselves give you just around an inch of additional height the higher spring rate gives you more effective ground clearance when the trail gets rough. I can go pretty much anywhere I want in CO with the setup aside from the rockcrawler type terrain. If you opt for the FJ springs consider replacing your shocks at the same time as the OEM shocks are valved too softly for a higher spring rate.

Do you have pictures? And what would be a good set of shock absorbers to get?

Also ToyTec sells the kit with or without the top plate spacer - which way are you running it? I really don't need much lift, just a little, what I want more than lift is better quality components for a better overall ride on and off road.

Never had a lifted vehicle before so this is all Terra Incognita to me. :sombrero:

oldblue

The lift that I am running is not sold by Toytec. I am using stock FJ Cruiser Coil springs that have a slightly higher spring rate than the stock 4runner coils. These springs can often be picked up from FJ Cruiser owners doing upgrades for next to nothing. I combined the springs with Bilstein shocks. The result is approximately a 1 inch lift, maybe a touch more. The difference in ride quality is substantial. Firm and controlled on road and smoother and more predictable offroad. It's pretty much what Toyota should have done from the factory. If you plan to add aftermarket bumpers, etc. then this lift would not be suitable but from what you are looking for it could be a good match.

With 255/75 r17 tires I get close to 2 inches of total lift which works well for my needs.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have 2004 4Runner and have been running with the OME suspension lift for about 7 years now. For me it has worked great. I just this spring replaced my rear shocks for the first time since the upgrade. It's a mild 3" lift that introduced no negatives mechanically and the lift combined with going up one size in tires has given me all the clearance I need for the mild four wheeling I typically do.

Alstrom-Point-2011-L4-2-L.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have 2004 4Runner and have been running with the OME suspension lift for about 7 years now. For me it has worked great. I just this spring replaced my rear shocks for the first time since the upgrade. It's a mild 3" lift that introduced no negatives mechanically and the lift combined with going up one size in tires has given me all the clearance I need for the mild four wheeling I typically do.

Alstrom-Point-2011-L4-2-L.jpg

Ah, I see you have a trailer as well. Question: Do you have/need the heavier springs in the rear or the lighter ones? Our little teardrop is somewhat heavy (about 1200lb) and it does make my vehicle sag a bit in the back - for that reason I'm inclined to go with heavier springs in the back. My only worry was whether the heavier springs will make the ride intolerable when I don't have the trailer on there.

And which springs are you running up front? The 884s? (I think that's the lightest spring.) I was thinking of going with the 884s up front since I don't plan on putting on a heavy bumper or a winch.

BTW, I see you have a Sport - did you have to remove the XREAS suspension to put the OME on? Not that I would, mine is just a plain SR5. Just curious.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Ah, I see you have a trailer as well. Question: Do you have/need the heavier springs in the rear or the lighter ones? Our little teardrop is somewhat heavy (about 1200lb) and it does make my vehicle sag a bit in the back - for that reason I'm inclined to go with heavier springs in the back. My only worry was whether the heavier springs will make the ride intolerable when I don't have the trailer on there.

And which springs are you running up front? The 884s? (I think that's the lightest spring.) I was thinking of going with the 884s up front since I don't plan on putting on a heavy bumper or a winch.

BTW, I see you have a Sport - did you have to remove the XREAS suspension to put the OME on? Not that I would, mine is just a plain SR5. Just curious.

I didn't want the heavy rear springs when not towing so I went with the standard rear springs and added air bags inside the rear coils. It's a perfect set up for towing, stiffen with air pressure when towing and let the air out to soften the ride when not.

I'm running the 886 stiffer front springs but that is because of the heavy plate bumper and winch. Without that added weight the 884's would be fine.

Yes, my 4Runner was still a baby when I installed the the OME suspension. I removed the XREAS and all the interconnecting hydraulic lines and it all ended up in the trash. :Wow1: It seemed like a such a waste but there was no way to get a lift and retain that unique system. In the long run it was the right decision but at the time it did freak me out a bit.:elkgrin:

BTW, I purchased all the OME suspension parts from Slee Offroad. They were great to deal with and I had them pre-assemble the front struts so I didn't have to deal with compressing the springs which is a pain.

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
I've got an 04 V8. I did OME full kit with the heavy/heavy. (I forget the #'s) Even before the bumper I felt like I made the truck much more solid and rode like a million bucks. I just drove roads over in Ouray and it did fantastic.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Looks like you have a plate bumper up front so that would make sense. The stiff front springs are the OME 886. Standard spring rate for stock bumper are the 884s.

Talk to Slee Offroad and just tell them your set up and they will provide expert recommendations on which spring rate will work the best for your specific configuration.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Air bags...

Do air bags require a built-in compressor? Not that I'd be opposed (an ARB air-locker might be in my future yet!) but it would be an additional complication.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
You can set them up with or without a compressor. I opted for the simple approach and just installed an air valve on top of the rear bumper which is hidden when the rear door is closed. I just use my external compressor to air them up. I also tied the two bags together and they share the one air valve. That way when slowly walking over rough trails the bags can shift air between them and not impact your articulation as much as they would if they were separate from each other.

I purchased this kit from Summit Racing and it has worked great for me. Just run the air lines carefully to keep them away from heat or abrasion.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...00-Load-Assist-Rear-Spring-Kits/?autoview=SKU

rdb4Runner

Observer
I have the OME medium setup, stock UCA's, and stock rear shocks since one blew up on me and I had to pass MOT in England. If you have the money I'd go with something nicer if I were you. Icon or total chaos(with fox or king coilovers) would be my choice's. My castor couldn't be dialed in when I got the alignment done back then, but I got used to how it drove and don't have any tracking issues. I also removed my front sway bar when I did the lift and it's never been an issue. I run 285/70/17 Hankook Dynapro's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online