FG84 crewcab

Amesz00

Adventurer
Is that your dad bending over in that pic (the pic below the walking stick)? ....don't tell me you had him out with the shovel with all those young fellas standing around? Typical. Hahaha.

Did Hans take his MAN?

Sounds like an awesome weekend.

Regards John.

Hi John,

yea he did come, no we didnt make him shovel (man that clay is heavy...) haha.
he was thinking of taking the MAN, but i convinced him it would be too tight thru some of the tracks, so he just jumped in with me in the little canter :p
yea it was really good. :)
shame now gotta go back to sad old reality...

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Wow looks like you guys had a great time.
I see you guys using the best tool out there the long handle shovel lol

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
<snip> however it did show up a few things that need doing for future offroad excursions. such as;
Lesson 1) needs more mudguards.
Lesson 2) needs the bigger tyres.
Lesson 3) needs even more mudguards..
Lesson 4) needs a bullbar and spotties <snip> Andrew

I noticed you are running 255/100-16 (9.00R-16) XZL tyres. Obvious a great aggressive tread pattern so when you say bigger, do you mean taller or wider ?

I just ordered 325/80-16 tyres for my Fuso (2002 FG), so they are the same diameter as your XZLs (36.3 inches/923mm) but wider (13.1 inches/333mm) compared to the XZLs at (10.0 inches/255mm).
I hope that was the right direction to go, since 6 are inbound to me right now. From your experience, what do you think ? Thanks

Amesz00

Adventurer
I see you guys using the best tool out there the long handle shovel lol

hi PK
i dont know what youd do without one haha.. though its always easier if youve brought someone else to operate it.. i always seem to get unlucky with that.. hahaha.

I noticed you are running 255/100-16 (9.00R-16) XZL tyres. Obvious a great aggressive tread pattern so when you say bigger, do you mean taller or wider ?

I just ordered 325/80-16 tyres for my Fuso (2002 FG), so they are the same diameter as your XZLs (36.3 inches/923mm) but wider (13.1 inches/333mm) compared to the XZLs at (10.0 inches/255mm).
I hope that was the right direction to go, since 6 are inbound to me right now. From your experience, what do you think ? Thanks

Hi Mog
when i say it need the bigger wheels, i am referring to the 335/80R20 XZL that i have bought to put on it, but obviously being a 41x13.5" tyre needs significant mods to fit on the front end. me saying that it needs the bigger wheels is partly a bit tongue in cheek because it probly really doesnt.. most of the things ive found that it doesnt want to do are more the engines lack of power than lack of grip.. where it got bogged in those pics, as i say turned out to be an absolutely bottomless, soft mud swamp. no matter what tyres it had, it would sink there.
i think the 325/80 should work very well. you will probly need to do some 're-arranging' to the front steps and guards, but shouldnt be too drastic.
what tread/brand are you getting?

Andrew

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hi Mog
when i say it need the bigger wheels, i am referring to the 335/80R20 XZL that i have bought to put on it, but obviously being a 41x13.5" tyre needs significant mods to fit on the front end. me saying that it needs the bigger wheels is partly a bit tongue in cheek because it probly really doesnt.. most of the things ive found that it doesnt want to do are more the engines lack of power than lack of grip.. where it got bogged in those pics, as i say turned out to be an absolutely bottomless, soft mud swamp. no matter what tyres it had, it would sink there.
i think the 325/80 should work very well. you will probly need to do some 're-arranging' to the front steps and guards, but shouldnt be too drastic.
what tread/brand are you getting? Andrew

I'm going with the Falken Wild Peak A/T 325/80-16 ($260 USD each to my door). That size (36.3" dia) is a tough find in non-XZLs, which are a hard or $$$ find here in the US.
One of my main goals was to get an increase of 10-15% in tire size from stock to decrease my engine RPM when cruising at 55-60 mph. These will give me right at a 15% increase. 315/75-16 is a much more common size here in the US (I run that size on my Ford F-250), but that would have 'only' been a 9% increase.
Realistically 90%+ of my travels will be on-road (I sure will not be 'playing' in bottomless mud like you were . . . I hope), and these have a good mileage rating (50k), and are supposed to be reasonably quiet on the highway which is very important to me. I'm tall enough that I never use the lower step, so it will go (or be modified for shorter-person access) and I have a nice set of front wheelwell flairs off an Iveco that will give me the clearance and they are flared out, which will cover the new wider tyres. I'll also be getting a 3 inch (75mm) lift when I install my parabolic springs.

Those 335/80R20 XZL of yours are going to be some giant 'shoes' for your Fuso. At a 30% greater diameter that stock, do you think they will kill your power band (RPM), or are you making any gearing changes to accommodate that? I will say, your truck already looks great, with those on, it will strike fear as . . . . . Fusozilla
View attachment 153504
I guess 'Downunder' it would be "Canterzilla"?

BTW brand new, never used super large 395/80R20 XZL on brand new Mercedes 10 lug rims have been selling on our Government surplus auction site for $100 USD each, in sets of 4 or 8 :Wow1:
Falken Wild Peak A/T
View attachment 153503

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
. . . . Fusozilla
Name: Fusozilla.jpg Views: 99 Size: 37.6 KB
I guess 'Downunder' it would be "Canterzilla"?

Love it :D haha

BTW brand new, never used super large 395/80R20 XZL on brand new Mercedes 10 lug rims have been selling on our Government surplus auction site for $100 USD each, in sets of 4 or 8

man.. those tyres are about 2k each in Aus, from michelin.. i have heard that a 8-stud 3-piece split rim for a MAN is somewhere around the 2k mark as well... we have an old customer who is having 395s imported for his MAN, in the new 'XZL2' variant, with hutchinson beadlocked ali rims. i dont know how much it cost him, but should look real nice..

after getting back from esperance last week, have noticed that the rear LSD seems really tight, and clicks loudly while shuddering the whole truck in tight turns.. suspect daimler trucks (the fuso dealer in perth) put non lsd oil in it when they did the 1st service 2 weeks ago. grrr....

Amesz00

Adventurer
just got back froma 3.5 day camping/4wding trip in southwest WA, 4 of us in the truck. went very well, rained a good proportion of the time so lots of muddy tracks :)
anyways, i think we found the absolute limit of how deep a river this thing will cross, the back end started to float! not too keen to replicate that feeling in a hurry...

Attachments

• IMAG0332.jpg
    IMAG0332.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0333.jpg
    IMAG0333.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 66

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...the back end started to float!
How deep was the water when that happened?
Am I guessing right that it was at the tide line shown on the spare tyres? What's that... about 1.4 metres?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Andrew ...... For the sake of those not familiar with these trucks, exactly what is the height from level ground to the high tide mark????

A friend just sent me some pics of himself in his Canter crossing one of the creeks on Cape York...... Looked a little boring really. Then sent some pics of Landcruisers and Patrols that followed him through and the water looked so much deeper. I'm sure you know what I mean...... The Canter made it all look easy. I wouldn't want to be in a cruiser going through that deep!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior