FG84 crewcab

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hi all.

Well its been a few months since selling my dearly loved + trusty green fg649 crewcab. starting to have some serious withdrawals from not having a truck to drive around, or go 4wding in etc.. even despite dad lending me his beautiful MAN motorhome for a couple of weekends out, it just isnt the same.. but i digress.

figured its probably about time i started a thread for the new FG84 crewcab that i am currently building, the one that is replacing said FG649 truck.
once again this truck will be quite simple from a motorhome point of view, pretty much being a closed in box. im young and throwing a swag on the ground is still fun :D
couple of points the truck will have though;
-430L diesel
-250L water
-550kg kevrek crane (stolen from dad ;) )
-on board air system
-tyre inflation setup, similar to PTG "STIS" system
-warrior parabolic suspension

Im going for something a bit different in the wheel setup. its getting 335/80R20 XZLs (41" tall) on 20x11" rims.
yes i know these are huge for the vehicle (ones sitting next to the cab now) but we made the 38" XLs fit good on the last truck, so i dont see why these cant
be made to work. even with 80mm lift from the springs, considerable cab modifications will be required to make them fit. ei on these trucks the doors cover the top step,
this will have to be cut back to where it was on the old style cabs, just below the actual seal. the bottom step will be going completely, and the top step will be about
1/2 the size. the rear mudguards (on the front) will also need to be cut right back and redesigned.

to compensate for the power loss its got a 4" intake, ill have the entire exhaust done 4" as soon as i can get a 4" brake (another reason for the onboard air, 4" brakes only come with air actuators), hope to look at
blocking the EGR (shhh..) and changing the turbo setup to run 25-odd-psi boost.
as far as brakes, i will most likely have to get softer compound pads or similar, even if it means adjusting/changing more often.

anyways ive attached a couple of pics to this, more later. ive run outa time from watching starwars trailers etc on youtube... :p
Andrew

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
So Andrew... following a logical progression with your tyre selections from truck to truck, should we expect that your next vehicle will be a monster truck??? ;)

Amesz00

Adventurer
So Andrew... following a logical progression with your tyre selections from truck to truck, should we expect that your next vehicle will be a monster truck???

hahaha, ummmm... i guess that depends on what you count as a monster truck?.. i really, really, wouldnt mind one of these ;) got no real use for one, just want one..

Amesz00

Adventurer
couple more pics. this one shows the actual size of the tyres a bit better, and why the doors need to be cut back etc. as well as the rims for it.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
WOW your Canter is going to look great with those wheels and tyres on it.
Keep the pics comming please:drool:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Cheers guys :D

i dont really have regular pics of the build or anything, just whenever ive remember to take a couple snaps. its currenty getting clad with Ali sheet, so shouldnt be too far off going to paint shop.
Most likely going to go with green again, cant really bring myself to have it done any other colour... might try get it mixed a little darker, and see if they can somehow make it a semi-gloss type
finish. the old truck had the canvas over half of it, which had the effect of dulling the whole vehicle appearance. this one isnt going to have that, and i kinda like the almost-military look..
more pics soon ;)

Amesz00

Adventurer
sorry i know this has been dormant for some time, just been so busy.
the truck is partly finished, to the extent that it is licensed and on the road.

anyways heres a pic of what it is now.

View attachment 145277

apologies for the terrible quality, its a phone pic :p
more tomorrow
Andrew

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Andrew,

Looking good......definitely better than the "apple" green it was first done in.

By the way, just noticed your comments re: the MAN KATs at the start of this thread. A friend sent me a link to the one below just before xmas with this one for sale in the Netherlands.......9800Euros. The shipping back here would be a killer but.......and I agree.....I have no use for one either but it would sure be the coolest thing around.
View attachment 145278

d67u57

Adventurer
sweet looking rig.

since you went with larger rollers,are you going to regear as well?

if you already regeared,then i missed it :p

ps 10k euros for that man truck? ouch. how much can shipping be?

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Andrew,

Well done. Looks like lots of fun!

How did you adhere the outter sheeting?
Is it all sheetmetal spot welded on to your frame?
Assuming it is, what gauge is the sheetmetal?

Thanks

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
ps 10k euros for that man truck? ouch. how much can shipping be?

Gee.... must be out of touch....I thought the truck was a bargain......but a 20' container from NL to here with all the duties covered would be around the equivalent of $4500 USD so shipping a big truck like that as deck cargo would be A LOT I guess.

BTW Hi Leon.

Amesz00

Adventurer
since you went with larger rollers,are you going to regear as well?

if you already regeared,then i missed it

not at the minute. gearings still too low with the 36" XZLs.. when i do put my 41s on, ill see how it goes. the diffs are 5.185, diffs in previous model are 5.714, and i think they might fit in. not sure tho.

Well done. Looks like lots of fun!

How did you adhere the outter sheeting?
Is it all sheetmetal spot welded on to your frame?
Assuming it is, what gauge is the sheetmetal?

the sheets are 2.5mm aluminium, bonded with high tensile sika. once it sets, you gotta destroy the sheets to get em off.

Gee.... must be out of touch....I thought the truck was a bargain......but a 20' container from NL to here with all the duties covered would be around the equivalent of $4500 USD so shipping a big truck like that as deck cargo would be A LOT I guess.

it is. dependig on the condition. 4x4 usually 10-20k (euro), 6x6s 20-30k, then 8x8s 30-40k. they are quite old, from the early 70s to early 80s. however they have more features than most offroad trucks today, they run tri-angulated 4-link coils front + rear, diff locks, planetary hubs, and ZF torque converter/dry clutch (not sure how it works, all the heavy haulage rigs use it). worst thing bout them is the engine, 12.6L air cooled v8. tho i reckon with some intuitive tuning and correctly sized turbos (+ intercoolers), you could push 450hp and run it cooler than stock..
i think to ship a truck europe-Aus is bout 8-10k. (??)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz