Tarps: myth or legend?

biere

Observer
I have a couple of the canvas tarps you can get at tractor supply that got holes rubbed in them. Simply my fault for having something rubbing in a small area since it will cause problems if you do it that way.

Trucks, like dump trucks, using tarps just have a tarp covering the load and keeping random rocks from coming out. Nothing rubs on the tarp other than the load bar or whatever you want to call the bar it rolls up on.

I agree with the pics above showing proper racks, that is how it really should be done but I have also been known to use padding on something between the object and tarp to keep it from rubbing through the tarp.

PLastic tarps and I do not get along one bit.

I plan to take the smaller canvas tarp and repair the holes and major stress points of the big tarp with holes in it and have one heavy duty tarp leftover.

One thing I learned late in moving all my stuff from this state to that state is that using one of those spider web bungy cord things wally world sells for 20 bucks will keep large areas of the tarp from flapping. Now sharp areas can still punch holes in the tarp but no large flapping section will minimize tarp movement.

I used to do a whole lot of hauling and helping others move and then I took a few months to move my personal stuff while out of work for a while so it was simpler to make a lot of trips while visiting people than to try and make one huge load with a rented truck and trailer to deal with.

Snarky

Hell Paso
I have a couple of the canvas tarps you can get at tractor supply that got holes rubbed in them. Simply my fault for having something rubbing in a small area since it will cause problems if you do it that way.

Trucks, like dump trucks, using tarps just have a tarp covering the load and keeping random rocks from coming out. Nothing rubs on the tarp other than the load bar or whatever you want to call the bar it rolls up on.

I agree with the pics above showing proper racks, that is how it really should be done but I have also been known to use padding on something between the object and tarp to keep it from rubbing through the tarp.

PLastic tarps and I do not get along one bit.

I plan to take the smaller canvas tarp and repair the holes and major stress points of the big tarp with holes in it and have one heavy duty tarp leftover.

One thing I learned late in moving all my stuff from this state to that state is that using one of those spider web bungy cord things wally world sells for 20 bucks will keep large areas of the tarp from flapping. Now sharp areas can still punch holes in the tarp but no large flapping section will minimize tarp movement.

I used to do a whole lot of hauling and helping others move and then I took a few months to move my personal stuff while out of work for a while so it was simpler to make a lot of trips while visiting people than to try and make one huge load with a rented truck and trailer to deal with.

Using a cargo net sounds like a really good idea. I actually forgot about those. Now that I'm in the desert a cargo net could probably come in handy for most loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online