Tarps: myth or legend?

Snarky

Hell Paso
I tried searching on this subject with not much luck, is there a tarp thread? Haha

I have a flat bed trailer that i use to haul stuff, including while camping and what not. Generally i place my gear in dry bags or boxes, but sometimes i throw a tarp over it to keep it drier or in place or even just to hide it.

I used to use canvas tarps but i had issue with the dye and waterproofing material turning my stuff green. So I've been experimenting with polypropylene. The problem is that I've never had one last more than say 3 hours before it self destructs.

I just drove I-10 yesterday for 12 hours. By the time i was done, it seems like half the tarp unraveled, plus the items under it had rubbed holes through it. I felt it was well tied down at all points with actual rope, plus the items with strapped down to prevent movement.

It doesn't seem to be just one manufacturer's issue as the same thing has happened with tarps from various sources. I've also tried bungees instead of rope. No luck.

I mean, people in LA and So. TX have used blue tarps as roofs for years, I cant use one to cover cargo for hours. Maybe it's me?

Are there any recommendations for increasing a tarp's longevity or perhaps a source for an inexpensive vinyl tarp? The cargo cover i had on my deuce was a beast. I just need to cover crap in a 5x8 trailer...

04efbee2.jpg

hinocairnseclipse

Looks like you have a fair bit of loose tarp there in the middle.
Maybe that's ok with canvas, (I never had the opportunity to try), but poly-tarps flap themselves to pieces anywhere they can move.

obscurotron

Adventurer
I have noticed that poly tarps seem to come in different 'grades', in terms of thickness or durability. The ones I have are all relatively thick and have held up pretty well. I've had some thinner ones over the years, and they self-destruct pretty quickly. I don't know what the thickness is of each, but it sounds like a job for Google.

Personally, I am switching over from poly to canvas. It's more expensive, but I suspect I'll get more life out of canvas and if colorfastness is an issue, you can get them in the raw, and waterproof them yourself. My old man has canvas tarps that were my grandfather's and they're all WWII surplus. They show some wear, but are all functional and intact. I doubt you'll find anything that good any more. Maybe a sailmaker could fix you up with some durable, colorfast canvas tarps. Poly is just too darn noisy, too. :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Looks like you have a fair bit of loose tarp there in the middle.
Maybe that's ok with canvas, (I never had the opportunity to try), but poly-tarps flap themselves to pieces anywhere they can move.

Wrong type of tarp. That's just a static use tarp for buildings. Not intended to survive travel.

I'd get a cavas tarp with a silicone lining to keep the black die from seeping through. Or just a plain canvas tarp with a painters tarp underneath. I use waterproof boxes usually with my truck. You need to seek out a custom truck tarp company. I know of a few in Ohio.

Snarky

Hell Paso
These poly tarps were all from the materials handling sections of lowe's, academy, and wal-mart, and touted as being extra thick.

I found some seemingly thick vinyl tarps from tarps online.

http://www.tarpsonline.com/tarps/vinyl18oz.aspx.

I think ill try one of those. Maybe I can rig up some kind of removable frame that can keep them tight and not flappy.

I have to be able to keep the trailer unenclosed. It's basically my pickup truck.

48bfaa3e-4e7e-d6fd.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Judging by your truck, it could those dead, or not quite dead zombies trying to escape from under the tarp. Remember the double-tap rule?

Adventurer
I have found that putting the poly tarp on the load and then covering it with a simple canvas drop cloth help extend the poly tarp survival on long trips. But most definitely try not to have any slack in the tarps to cut down on flapping.

Sent from somewhere on Earth.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I got a custom sized tarp from 'Tarps Now' to go on my rack for the summer months to provide more shade for the truck and extend the effective area of my side mounted awning. I ordered 18oz flame resistant vinyl "salvage cover". Think heavy duty fire dept. use. It has been on the rack for 7 weeks now and maybe 1000 miles (W.A.G.). No noticeable flapping or wear. They also make 'equipment covers' that are pre-sewn 5 sided non rigid boxes. If that makes sense. So far I'm pleased with the performance. Blue poly tarps are near useless IMHO and eventually become stringy blue pollution.

Snarky

Hell Paso
I have found that putting the poly tarp on the load and then covering it with a simple canvas drop cloth help extend the poly tarp survival on long trips. But most definitely try not to have any slack in the tarps to cut down on flapping.

Sent from somewhere on Earth.

Yo dawg, I herd you like tarps. So we got you a tarp to protect your tarp.

kai38

Explorer
I've had bad luck with tarps tearing up also, If i use a tarp now I wait to see if its going to rain then put it on or place the tarp then use tie down straps across it in 3-4 places.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Mytarps.com
canvas and vinyl tarps. custom and pre cut sizes.
They will put gromets where you like.
Check them out.

Snarky

Hell Paso
Dont know if you run rigs called curtain siders in US but in UK and Europe we tend to use the material they use for a durable tarp on motor vehicles , replacing the old canvas type . HTSH

http://www.wtrailer.co.uk/curtainsided.htm will show you what i am referring to .

We have those here, they are handy for to load with forklifts where there is no loading dock.

We also have 18-wheeler dump trucks and in some municipalities or states they are required to cover their load, they use a similar material as a cover. Usually a UV resistant fiber reinforced vinyl covering.

I'm now planning on building a strong removable tarp frame for my 5x8. Then getting a custom vinyl cover made for it.

jronwood

Adventurer
I think if you REALLY want it to be effective, you first need a GOOD FRAME to support it from underneath. Then either have custom one made at a tractor trailer (TT) tarp company, OR find an Army tarp from an M101 trailer. They are 5'x8' trailers and should be available from ebay and surplus army guys. The M105 is
6'x9'. These are designed to last years and years. The army ones are flat roof designs and the tractor trailer (TT) guys use bent 1" aluminum in a hoop/ arch form.

I have had both, custom ones and Army ones and are what you want. Find the tarp you want then build the frame to accomadate it for the Army one or the other way around for the TT ones

Jronwood

Odumptrailer2.jpgphone 430.jpgtruckbody2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94