Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
How do you like the van sides?

I'm assuming you mean the lack of rear side windows? I love it.
I really never looked out of either of those windows for a few reasons. Neck injury, large rear head rests, and gear stacked up high in the back. So eliminating the rear windows gives me more privacy, better insulation, more durability (I've nearly rocked the rear corners into rocks or trees a few times off road). I can pile gear up against the sides without fear of breaking a window. Eventually I may try to mount/hang frontrunner water bags up against the sides too. So it's a personal preference I guess. If the factory windows there opened and had a screen I may have felt different, but they really weren't doing anything for me.

Espo78

Adventurer
I still think you should apply a black decal where the windows would be to give the appearance that there are windows there. I think it would make the Jeep stand out less to the untrained eye. Right now it screams "something is different about me!"

Ursa Minor

Q & A

Curious on the current build times?
Running about 4-6 weeks as of July 30,2013

Would a rear awning work in the same manner?
Sure, in terms of mounting, but it would prevent one from climbing up the tire and into the camper. The specific one on the Ursa Minor Jeep is too wide to mount back, there but a narrower one would fit if it was slightly narrower than the jeep.

John

will

Adventurer
I still think you should apply a black decal where the windows would be to give the appearance that there are windows there. I think it would make the Jeep stand out less to the untrained eye. Right now it screams "something is different about me!"

I have windows in my J180/Habitat. People still do double-takes whenever they see me drive by so I don't think that matters a whole lot.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have windows in my J180/Habitat. People still do double-takes whenever they see me drive by so I don't think that matters a whole lot.

I initially thought it may stand out less, but I didn't figure it would make a big difference. I have people flag me down on the road, stop in traffic to take pictures if I'm parked on the street, etc. I don't think a window is going to change it.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Finally changed out my tires/rims. Went with a Toyo Open Country A/T II Extreme 285x75x17 (34x11.5) with a Pro Comp 7069 rim. Whole new ride from the ******** Cepek Mud Country. Next Thurs having an off-road frame built for my teardrop trailer and have a set of the same tires/rims that will be going onto it as well.

cc87a0184515cb6aecf301c6ad1af069.jpg

b32469badd904397fa26a03a1a723710.jpg

879173eae60b3c4dd8ffaf4b36365123.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
That looks like a much better setup for you!

I'm still waiting to hear if I'll be volunteering for the Reno air races this year. My vacation got approved late. If I'm not volunteering I may be asking you for camping recommendations for the weekdays before.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
That looks like a much better setup for you!

I'm still waiting to hear if I'll be volunteering for the Reno air races this year. My vacation got approved late. If I'm not volunteering I may be asking you for camping recommendations for the weekdays before.

Let me know when you might be around and what you want to see...

jnf

Anyone have a picture of a black JKU with a black shell/white top J30, with the top of the J30 down? There is a picture on UM's website of one with the top up, but they don't have a picture with one with the top down.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Finally changed out my tires/rims. Went with a Toyo Open Country A/T II Extreme 285x75x17 (34x11.5) with a Pro Comp 7069 rim. Whole new ride from the ******** Cepek Mud Country. Next Thurs having an off-road frame built for my teardrop trailer and have a set of the same tires/rims that will be going onto it as well.

I run the same size tire, 285/75-17 and love it...!!! I'm running the BFG KM2 in a 285/75-17 which is more aggressive but was looking at the Toyo AT II as my next set of tires which would be a better long distance tire... Your Jeep looks great...

Tybeerubicon

Hi. Just received my J30 and mounted it myself on a new Rubicon. Getting ready for my first big trip. Left it out in the up position in heavy rain this weekend and it leaked badly. Leaked inside the tent in several locations where the tent is screwed down with the white plastic strips. Also leaked very badly into the front footwells - seemed to be coming from the top fwd corners of the front doors. DEEP puddles in the footwells. The slower leaks in the top seemed to also fill up the closed portion of the fiberglass shell over the windshield which then dumps on your sholders when you move the vehicle. Any suggestions? Like I said - I installed it myself so I could have done something wrong on the the camper to jeep sealing, but I don't think I can blame myself for the tent to camper seal.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Do a Google search for JK leak. There will be a pdf for Chrysler admitted leaks. If you can't find it pm me with your email address and I will send it to you. I am having a problem with mine on the driver side with it leaking right where the bolt attaches the top to the roll bar. I can't figure it out to save my life where it is coming from. One issue you may look at is the windshield position. Mine is closer on one side than the other. As for the top I have only had a problem one time and I think that was more from condensation than anything else. I would contact John and see if he can help out, although I am not sure if he is vacation or out of town right now.

Found the link for the pdf: http://www.jeep-club.net/graphics/manuals/85/JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I've slept in mine in rain several times.
I only had a leak once. In a heavy storm (orange and yellow on the radar all night with 40+ mph winds), I had some water come in under the white strips that hold the tent. By morning, there was a little water under the pads, we were dry and so was our bedding.
After that I hand tightened the screws. I snugged up many that were not tight at all, and a few we're stripped.
Anyhow, since then I haven't had a single issue. It was a little disappointing as it felt like someone quickly jammed the screws in with a drill, and made no effort to check tightness by hand.
That's my suggestion anyway. I don't have any water leaks in front. It's probably worth removing all bolts and trying to shift the camper forward as much as possibly, and applying a little more torque on the front bolts.

I do wish the mold was different slightly. The "sleeping area" is about 1/4" lower than the surface the tent mates too. If it was the other way around, gravity would prevent any excessive leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier