Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Low top/shorty ford transit is with a pop top and quigley 4x4 conversion is another option.

The MB Vito isn't expected to be offered with 4x4 and conversion of it isn't likely - too complex.

capability Yeah, I've been following those. However the lack of quality and horrible they are as the Vito through feedback of the European version doesn't sound too promising. Also need something with 4x4 or awd. Wouldn't mind a T6 TDI 4motion!

I'm a rock climber/fly fisher/backpacker/kayaker that camps minimalist in the backcountry. So I don't need a rock crawler Jeep, but need to get down rough fire roads/Park roads etc away from it all with 4 season capability.

I've always loved pop tops, and don't need all the payload of a Sprinter.

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Vito/Metris is offered with AWD/4WD in Europe. If the AWD/4WD Sprinters do well in the US I believe they'll offer that option on the Metris. They've been racing them in the Rallye Aicha des Gazelles for a few years now.

What about finding a late Astro AWD? Things run forever, are fairly easy and cheap to repair and get decent gas mileage when driven nicely. I average about 19-20 driving in the burbs, hwy about 22-23, left lane cruising, 5 mph over most places, interstates usually never past 70 mph.

Vito/Metris is offered with AWD/4WD in Europe. If the AWD/4WD Sprinters do well in the US I believe they'll offer that option on the Metris. They've been racing them in the Rallye Aicha des Gazelles for a few years now.

What about finding a late Astro AWD? Things run forever, are fairly easy and cheap to repair and get decent gas mileage when driven nicely. I average about 19-20 driving in the burbs, hwy about 22-23, left lane cruising, 5 mph over most places, interstates usually never past 70 mph.

Thank you! I was hoping they'd eventually offer the Metris in 4WD/AWD, it truly is a gap in the US segment for a new mid-sized AWD/4WD van without going for the older Astro/Safari, Syncros, etc. I was looking into the Astro's but was discouraged. Currently drive a 2012 Golf TDI Tech I purchased new and have been spoiled with mid 40's-50's MPG. Any years you recommend in particular? Anything to look/lookout for specifically without getting the thread off-topic too much? PM me if more appropriate, would be greatly appreciated.

MizMoosie

Observer
While these pics are not even close to the quality and majesty of Don_TLR's, they show how I use my J30 in "da nort wuds"...

This was at Temperance River State Park, MN, in early April. Temps were in the 30's F so the heated tent was used for hanging out and staying warm.
IMG_20150403_142445784_HDR-M.jpg

Memorial Day weekend at the end of a small two-track in the Superior National Forest. I did a little unsuccessful trout fishing. The blackflies were pretty bad so the Napier tent was attached and used for escaping the biting little buggers. I didn't see a single vehicle all weekend...
P1010095-M.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Does anyone own this top near North Carolina, have a friend who really wants one, but has never seen one other than pictures. Please PM me.....

2000LJ

Observer
Thanks, had to get a shot for John that night but have plenty more nights to perfect, Headed somewhere southwest this long weekend.
200LJ,, Thought about White Sands but want to check it out on a Full Moon, thats about the extent of my NM travels, or Bisti, are you close to it?

I am a a few hours form white sands but have been wanting to get back down that way this year. Maybe we can meet up down that way some time.
Thanks

High Water

Baja Bliss
other brands

I was at Abenteuer & Allrad (Adventure Wheel) Overland Show 2015, in Bad Kissingen, Germany 04-07 June 2015 and saw lots of pop tops but only one on a Jeep and I think it was a one-off. They used the original hard top and cut into it. They sealed (fused) the T-tops. Certainly not as clean as the Ursa. Kudos to Ursa for bringing the technology to the US and to Jeeps.

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

Here is one on VW Crafter Van

IMG_1916.jpg

And one on the New Ford Tourneo
IMG_1920.jpg

I have a bunch more pictures but do not want to hijack this thread. Just wanted to complement Ursa!
:)

Last edited:

bigfish

Observer
e06af82524f6b298ae4bb9a4fa6c0a4e.jpg

Finally got my lift sorted.

Specs:
37x1250R17 BFG KO2s on AEV Salta wheels
ARB 2619/2620 springs with JKS ACOS on front and rear
OME 60066L/60067L shocks
JKS advanced geometry kit
Roadmaster 9/8" rear sway bar with Synergy drop brackets.

Very pleased overall on trails and on mountain highways. Its firm and planted despite the weight, but flexes well with the front sway bar disconnected. I feel it was better than a AEV setup I tested that was similarly loaded. However, this was designed to be like a dump truck in that it only rides well when fully loaded. Since my Jeep is always loaded this is not a problem for me. I'll take more and better photos later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz