New/old trailer build 1966 Apache Raven tent trailer

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Fixed a broken Gerry can mount on the tire swing and added braces so it hopefully doesn't happen again.
be0dc9943629181ea9ca04af0f97a603.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
The original Apache Eagles used the clamshell top as off-the-ground storage for luggage, gear, etc. There were bent wire hooks that supported the middle of the clamshell to the underside of the bed. It meant the clamshell's needed to open a full 180°, which isn't possible on some of the upgraded builds, but, man, it was sure useful back in the day.

The cantilevered beds were held up with aluminum poles that hinged from the bottom of the bed and adjusted to length to level and support the mattress. How are you doing that on your much-higher project Apache, psychosquirrel?

Shown here, in our much-missed Apache Eagle in 1971:
i-Ss3dJng-L.jpg

Expedition Essentials

Well: my clamshell sits on the fenders, still able to stuff a few things in there but not much. As far as the bed supports go, I removed the originals and I am using ratcheting truck bed load dividers. They work reasonably well, currently not permanently affixed but I plan to remedy that possibly this winter as well as having a new tent made.

Expedition Essentials

Glad I can provide some entertainment.

Currently preparing the trailer for an upcoming elk hunt: heading out next Sunday. Looking forward to spending a week: longest I've spent in it yet.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

dcollier32

Adventurer
Just found your thread... And all I can say is WOW... Who would've thought an old tent trailer would be such a perfect off road camper... Very nice, I'm digging it :)

Expedition Essentials

ce11115ec1bf4d91e21dcf1f6e92a194.jpg

8fb9a76046c160e37b9189a06f2043ec.jpg

Dragged the trailer along on a little winter excursion.

Sent using a squirrel raised from birth by a flock of well trained carrier pigeons.

Last edited:

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Looking great. It's good to see it getting used this time of year. Just wondering if you have any info you can share on the shocks you ended up using. I'll be looking to spec out some for my air bag suspension soon and any help / feedback is appreciated.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste